UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Past Group Book Discussions > Wanted - Tim Arnot

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Simon (Highwayman) (last edited Jun 08, 2013 03:10AM) (new)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Wanted - Tim Arnot

An Ignite recommandation so it must be good

Wanted - Tim Arnot

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments You can't type today, can you Simon?

Congrats Tim!

message 3: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Cool :)

Happy to answer any questions that don't involve future spoilers.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I gotta read it.

message 5: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments Is an Ignite recommandation, one where you are ordered to read rather than encouraged?

Well done Tim.

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9058 comments Halfway through this atm. Enjoying it

message 7: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments David wrote: "Is an Ignite recommandation, one where you are ordered to read rather than encouraged?

Well done Tim."

Cheeky young punk!

I was away yesterday so I'd better let people know why I chose this when Simon asked me for a recommendation. As you'll know if you follow my blog, I've read some fantastic books just lately but this one is one that I've followed since Tim joined the forum. He had a short story featuring some of its characters in our anthology A Splendid Salmagundi and thus started his author page.

A number of people from this forum were early readers of the book, including me, and I've seen the idea develop. We also had an early chance to see the choice of cover.

The story features young adults but the themes it considers take it far beyond just YA interest. The scene is post 'The Collapse' and is set far enough after those events to allow for a new and reasonably stable order to have developed, with a kind of medieval technology. Electricity is forbidden (unless you're a Kingsman).

It's remarkable how well a 'mature' gentleman has got into the mind of the 16 year old heroine Flick. He has her spot on. There's also the enigmatic Kingsman Jessica Dixon - another great character. The only one I feel to be rather distant is Shea, the young man in the story. I find him a little 'unreachable' but I wonder if (without spoilers) Tim will tell me that much more will be revealed which might throw light on his rather distant (to me) demeanour?

I think this is a really well-written and intriguing book and I now that I shall be first with my clicky finger when book 2 is released! I hope a few people give it a try.

message 8: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Lol, I don't think anyone's called me mature before!

The story I wrote for Salmagundi was really an exploration of an -- at the time -- very minor character that I'd just invented for a specific scene. This was Jessica Dixon, the red-haired Kingsman that appears to give Adam a fright in the museum.

Originally that was all she did. She didn't appear later or have anything else to do in the story. Then I wrote "Socko's First Day" for Salmagundi.

Socko is a wet-behind-the-ears kid who's just joined the Oxford city watch, and is sent down to Kingsman HQ on his first day as a bit of a prank. Anyhow, last summer I has a couple of days filming at the Exam Schools in the High Street (it's a gorgeous old building, where the Oxford studes go to sit their exams) and got to have a good poke around in the nooks and crannies, and thought it would make a great HQ for the Kingsmen (with some mods here and there)

Anyhow, Jessica got some back story, and that's when I came up with "the P word" (she doesn't really like being called the P word), but that kind of gives her a dual identity, and a bit of a secret (if you've read Salmagundy, you'll already know what it is). And now I'm intrigued to find out where that can go, and this leads to her getting a much expanded role in Wanted.

Book 2 opens up a bit more to the wider world, and there's a new POV character, Paresh, who I'm quite excited about.

message 9: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Ooooh, if you're excited, so am I!

So - anyone else already read this? Anyone fancy it? Pushy beggar aren't I?

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments It's on my holiday to read list.

message 11: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments Already read and rated it!!! ;-P

Well done, Tim!

message 12: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments I love the way the thread is called Wanted - Tim Arnot. I want it to say 'Dead or Alive!' I'm a meanie!

message 13: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments At least somebody wants me...

message 14: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Ahhh... don't come here looking for sympathy!

message 15: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5174 comments I remember Tim's story from the Salmagundi so look forward to reading this one and joining in the discussion!

message 16: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments I won't be able to read it in time for this discussion but will read and review at some point in the not too distant future :~)

message 17: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Barrett | 1612 comments I read the Salmagundi story too and was swept away by how atmospheric it was; the settings were a delight to read, and I loved the characters.

I also had a sneaky peeky at a scene from the book too, so I know it's going to be a great tale.

I have Wanted on my Kindle and is next in line.

message 18: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Barrett | 1612 comments Oh, and I'm lucky enough to have a genuine Flick Special - a flint arrowhead!

message 19: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments A mate, who actually works at the Exam Schools in Oxford was completely unaware that I'd used it for a location, and he said to me after reading Salmagundy, "Kingsman HQ... I know that place: I work there!" :)

message 20: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Barrett | 1612 comments I'm not surprised, Tim. The descriptive pieces were stunning, especially so after I'd seen some of the pics you'd taken.

That seems like decades ago doesn't it.

message 21: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Lucky monkey - a flint arrowhead. One of our archaeology group found one with a broken tip at a site where they were made. Heartbreaking, to break it at that stage. The lecturer swooped on it like a crow on roadkill though, and he never saw it again.

message 22: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Absolutely authentic. Hand knapped from genuine stone by Flick herself. Finest chert. Cut me own throat with it. Possibly. ;)

message 23: by B J (new)

B J Burton (bjburton) | 2914 comments I did a flint knapping course last year. A strangely satisfying activity. Probably the thing that has surprised me most is the smell of burning produced.

message 24: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Get some good sparks of a bit of flint... :)

message 25: by B J (last edited Jul 22, 2013 05:30AM) (new)

B J Burton (bjburton) | 2914 comments I suppose so, yes. Sitting knapping in bright sunshine I only notice the burning smell, but in the dark I'd probably be seeing a shower of sparks.

message 26: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5174 comments Terrific book Tim!
When will the discussion start?

message 27: by Tim (last edited Jun 15, 2013 12:38PM) (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Thank you Sarah, that's very kind of you to say so. :)

Discussion: fire away...

message 28: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments Are we okay to start talking about it yet???

Who was your favourite character???

Mine was Adam Carter.

message 29: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Interesting thing about Adam: people have been saying either that he was their favourite character, or that they just didn't get him at all. Nothing in between...

message 30: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5174 comments My favourite was Flick, I loved that she hunted and made arrows and was never scared to take a risk yet she also had a feminine side.
I think what has remained with me about the book was that although I was reading about the future I got a sense of history, place and atmosphere that I could lose myself in. I often feel this when I read Victorian novels but don't recall ever having felt this when reading about the future before.

message 31: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Not sure I should say who my favourite is... the others might sulk!

message 32: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Oh, they would. I love Flick - I think she's the girl we all wanted to be when we were younger - but I think Jessica, first met in the Salmagundi story, is my favourite. She's interesting, powerful, enigmatic and I really want to know what happens to her!

message 33: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments I haven't read the latest version yet, but from the Beta read, I really looked forward to getting back to Flick when she wasn't in the present chapter. I really enjoyed the dynamic of the caravan family though. Are they still in the final version?

message 34: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Yes they are. :)

message 35: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments (blows dust off)

I'm sure this is all about to get consigned to the bin of antiquity, but there are two special incentives to buy and read Wanted. Firstly of course is the smashing new cover, and secondly, for the *whole month* of August, it's on special offer, priced at just £1.99, that's less than a cup of coffee, and I'm cutting my own throat...

message 36: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5174 comments Can I be so bold as to add a third reason?
It's brilliant!

message 37: by Kath (last edited Aug 01, 2013 11:03AM) (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments And intriguingly leads you to demanding the next in the series! That's 4 reasons!

message 39: by Steven (new)

Steven | 202 comments ooooh! this looks great am of to make use of my new ebook reading freedom by buying this book!

message 40: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Got another wonderful 4* review here on Goodreads:

To me, the best part of this book was definitely the world-building, into which Tim has put a lot of thought and detail, and which was very engaging to explore. I'm looking forward to discovering more about it in the next in the series. The setting of a real, future, Oxfordshire, is also great, letting the imagination run riot by superimposing this bleak future onto a well-known landscape, rather than setting it on an entirely fictional Earth, or other world.

read the full review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 41: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21711 comments Nice review there Tim

message 42: by Steven (new)

Steven | 202 comments just realised i never came back to this thread. I loved this book. wonderful characters a fast paced plot set in a wonderfully realised setting. have reviewed this on Amazon.

message 43: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments I agree much of its appeal was in the believable non technological world Tim created. His characters are fantastic too. The only one I couldn't get a handle on was Shea. I kept wondering what a fantastic lass like Flick saw in him. She's probably more perspicacious than I am!