Ask Brian Larson discussion

Secret of the Crystal (Secret of the Crystal, #1)
This topic is about Secret of the Crystal
Questions about Secret of the Crystal

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Brian Larson (crystal_secrets) | 11 comments Mod
For questions about characters of the book, my writing process, or anything about the plot (no spoilers please), then please post here.

message 2: by Max (new)

Max (cherishdesire) | 5 comments What inspired the conflict between two brothers as the central source of tension for the book?

Jealousy and power! Jhovahkan had it pretty good until our hero returns from the outer rim. Now he has competition.

message 4: by Max (new)

Max (cherishdesire) | 5 comments I guess more to the point... do you have a brother? ;) I see the brother conflict motif throughout a lot of literature - not surprising given paternal lines of succession. I'm curious if you've got personal experiences that drove some of their conflict. :)

I do have a brother, but the conflict doesn't come from that angle. I used some of the personality traits and problems that take place from my childhood. It wasn't simply one person in particular, but there were several that I use and bundle them all up into one really evil character.

message 6: by Max (new)

Max (cherishdesire) | 5 comments Excellent! Thanks!

What do you all think about SciFi books having chapter illustrations?

Does having drawings add to or take away from the story?

What's your take?

message 8: by Max (new)

Max (cherishdesire) | 5 comments I've always enjoyed some limited chapter illustrations - the half page pen & ink sort - but that may be because I grew up with pulp scifi like Asimov's. Nowadays it seems many illustrations detract from the story or simply don't add to it.

For "Secret of the Crystal" having a illustration that shows the brothers squared off against each other in their differing uniforms would encapsulate a moment that profoundly sets the stage for the opening.

But having the typical two spaceships floating over a planet wouldn't do much at all.

Know what I mean?

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I just wish I had of thought about that wonderful encapsulated moment when I had the first set of drawings made.

Perhaps in another release I can make those changes.

Be sure to check out my BIG ANNOUNCEMENT today on my blog: http://www.secretofthecrystal.com/1/p... … #amwriting #SciFi #Books