The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2013 > 20.6 - Seasoned Reader - CASSELM's task: They’re Creepy and They’re Kooky…

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Jun 08, 2013 04:13PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10640 comments Mod
20.6 - Seasoned Reader - CASSELM's task: They’re Creepy and They’re Kooky…

I absolutely love the Addams Family. As a child, my cousin sat me down to watch the TV series from the 1960s and since then I have always loved this unique family who has moved through various kinds of media, from the original drawings and books by Charles Addams to the live action TV series of the 1960s and late 1990s to the cartoon incarnations of the 1970s and the early 1990s as well as two brilliant major films and books related to all of these mediums.

In honor of my favorite fictional family, pick ONE option from the choices below:

1) Gomez Addams, patriarch of the family and man’s man, has been portrayed most famously by John Astin. In honor of this character and his many interests read a book with the words "sword" or "hunt" somewhere in the title or subtitle. The word you choose must be complete but can be part of another word such as A Storm of Swords, The Swordsman or Snow White & the Huntsman.

OR read a book with the genre History on its main page.

2) Morticia Addams was one of my idols as a child. Her dedication to her family and her marriage, as well as her talents at gardening made her fascinating. In honor of Morticia and Gomez’s undying love, read a book with the genre of Romance or Erotica on its page. Any subgenre of Romance or Erotica is acceptable as long as one of those two genres appears on the book’s main page.

Or read a book with a flower somewhere in the cover. Size doesn’t matter, just so there is at least one flower in the cover somewhere.

3) The children, Pugsley and Wednesday, were rambunctious to say the least but never lost the affection of their parents. In honor of Pugsley, read a book with the genre Mystery or Crime or True Crime on its main page.

OR

In honor of Wednesday, whose portrayal has changed with every reincarnation, you can read almost anything—the only requirement is that the cover must be mostly black and white.
Acceptable examples for this option include:
The Stranger by Albert Camus Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov The Monsters Of Templeton by Lauren Groff The Likeness (Dublin Murder Squad, #2) by Tana French Mutants by Armand Marie Leroi The Whole Death Catalog A Lively Guide to the Bitter End by Harold Schechter Breaking Dawn (Twilight, #4) by Stephenie Meyer Looking for Alaska by John Green In Cold Blood by Truman Capote Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

Required: State which options you used when you post. If using a cover option, include the cover in your post.

message 2: by Cassie (last edited Jun 14, 2013 12:17PM) (new)

Cassie | 133 comments Approved for Option 2:
Genre: Entwined with You by Sylvia Day
Claim Me by J. Kenner
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Cover: Perfume The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Süskind

Approved for Option 3, Wednesday:
Icy Sparks by Gwyn Hyman Rubio The Big Sleep (Philip Marlowe, #1) by Raymond Chandler The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls My Brilliant Career by Miles Franklin We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson

message 3: by Cassie (last edited Jun 09, 2013 12:10AM) (new)

Cassie | 133 comments Not approved for Option 3, Wednesday:
Invitation to a Beheading by Vladimir Nabokov What the World Will Look Like When All the Water Leaves Us by Laura van den Berg The Dud Avocado by Elaine Dundy

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10640 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Dee (last edited Jun 08, 2013 04:13PM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7452 comments ironically enough, someone in another thread I was on, just made an uncle fester joke ;)

great place for Swordspoint though

message 6: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 20 comments Will this one work for the black
and white cover?

Icy Sparks by Gwyn Hyman Rubio

message 7: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Hurrah! I just finished Bunker Hill: A City, a Siege, a Revolution and hadn't decided where to put it. Gomez Adams it is!

message 8: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 867 comments Is this black and white enough. My Brilliant Career by Miles Franklin

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 08, 2013 08:21PM) (new)

This sounds like such a fun task!! I love the Adams family!!

message 10: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15470 comments Mod
Does this work for black and white?

Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls

message 11: by Karen (new)

Karen Roman can you tell me which of these are black and white enough? Thanks

What the World Will Look Like When All the Water Leaves Us by Laura van den Berg The Big Sleep (Philip Marlowe, #1) by Raymond Chandler Invitation to a Beheading by Vladimir Nabokov The Dud Avocado by Elaine Dundy The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

For Option 2: Morticia- Flower-> Perfume The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Süskind

For Option 3: Wednesday- black and white-> We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson

are these ok?

message 13: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Is Entwined with You - Sylvia Day ok for Option 2?

message 14: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 133 comments Kathy G. wrote: "Will this one work for the black
and white cover?

Icy Sparks by Gwyn Hyman Rubio"

That will definitely work.

message 15: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 133 comments Cindy wrote: "Is this black and white enough. My Brilliant Career by Miles Franklin"

Approved!

message 16: by Cassie (last edited Jun 08, 2013 11:58PM) (new)

Cassie | 133 comments Karen wrote: "can you tell me which of these are black and white enough? Thanks

I'll approve The Big Sleep (Philip Marlowe, #1) by Raymond Chandler and The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene as black and white enough. :)

message 17: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 133 comments Sandy wrote: "Does this work for black and white?

Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls"

Approved!

message 18: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 133 comments Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Is Entwined with You - Sylvia Day ok for Option 2?"

That's just fine!

message 19: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Thanks Cassie x

message 20: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Cassie, I have others as I've just seen I'm reading this for another task. Can I read Claim Me - J. Kenner instead?

message 21: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15470 comments Mod
Cassie wrote: "Sandy wrote: "Does this work for black and white?

Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls"

Approved!"

Thanks, Cassie.

message 22: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 20 comments Cassie wrote: "Kathy G. wrote: "Will this one work for the black
and white cover?

Icy Sparks by Gwyn Hyman Rubio"

That will definitely work."

Thank You!

message 23: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 133 comments Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Cassie, I have others as I've just seen I'm reading this for another task. Can I read Claim Me - J. Kenner instead?"

That's fine too!

message 24: by Karen (new)

Karen Roman Cassie wrote: "I'll approve The Big Sleep (Philip Marlowe, #1) by Raymond Chandler and The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene as black and white enough..."

Thanks, Cassie!

message 25: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty | 89 comments Would the variations historical fiction/historical romance be ok for Gomez? I want to use Pride and Prejudice

message 26: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 133 comments Kirsty wrote: "Would the variations historical fiction/historical romance be ok for Gomez? I want to use Pride and Prejudice"

I'm going to say I won't accept that for Gomez, but I can accept it for Morticia since it has Romance listed in its genres.

message 27: by Cassie (last edited Jul 09, 2013 09:08PM) (new)

Cassie | 133 comments Okay, this might be weird, but I got an e-mail that someone had posted on the thread, and now the message is gone. Probably someone who changed their mind about asking, but I just want to make sure that there aren't any questions floating around about the task. I will be happy to answer them!

message 28: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7452 comments Cassie - can I get A Love Worth Biting For approved for #2 - because its a brand new release - one person has it shelved as "Romance Erotica Tbr Mountzilla" and 1 person as "paranormal-romance" in case either of them is pushed off the list

message 29: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 1091 comments I am going to read Power of the Sword by Wilbur A. Smith.

message 30: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 133 comments Claire and Dee,

Those will both work. Approved! :)

message 31: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7452 comments Thanks Cassie ;)

message 32: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 256 comments Will this work for mostly black and white?

I Wear the Black Hat Grappling with Villains (Real and Imagined) by Chuck Klosterman

Thank you!

message 33: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 133 comments Shawn wrote: "Will this work for mostly black and white?

I Wear the Black Hat Grappling with Villains (Real and Imagined) by Chuck Klosterman

Thank you!"

Yes it will!

message 34: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 867 comments black and white cover?? Something Fierce Memoirs of a Revolutionary Daughter by Carmen Aguirre

message 35: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 133 comments Cindy wrote: "black and white cover??Something Fierce Memoirs of a Revolutionary Daughter by Carmen Aguirre"

Yes, indeed!