And the Mountains Echoed
This topic is about And the Mountains Echoed
Week 24: And The Mountains Echoed

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Catherine (new)

Catherine McKenzie | 985 comments Mod
Hi All:

Khaled Hosseini's new book, And the Mountains Echoed is holding steady at #2 on the bestseller list. I loved his first two books, so I'm looking forward to this one. You can read more about it here: http://amzn.to/11mfsDI

Weekend Deals:

I've scoured the web for any deals on past reads and found the following. If you haven't already, hope you check these ones out:

The Banks of Certain Rivers ($2.99): http://amzn.to/12B5mpb
Hopeless ($3.99): http://amzn.to/1251mZJ
Silver Linings Playbook ($4.99): http://amzn.to/YM2LUc
Divergent ($5.99): http://amzn.to/ZUbNB3
The Wednesday Sisters ($9.99): http://bit.ly/126u1RP (has excerpt from her new book)

Lesley just joined the group! Downloaded week 24 book!

Melissa (chicklitcentral) | 49 comments This was a fantastic book. I couldn't put it down. I'll be reviewing at my personal blog soon and will post the link here.

message 4: by Catherine (new)

Lesley wrote: "just joined the group! Downloaded week 24 book!"

Great, Lesley! Welcome!

message 5: by Catherine (new)

Melissa wrote: "This was a fantastic book. I couldn't put it down. I'll be reviewing at my personal blog soon and will post the link here."

Good to know, Melissa, looking forward to reading it!

Jennifer | 0 comments I'm so excited to read this one. I loved The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns. He's a fabulous author.

message 7: by Catherine (new)

Jennifer wrote: "I'm so excited to read this one. I loved The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns. He's a fabulous author."

Agreed, Jennifer. Loved the Kite Runner best.

Jennifer | 0 comments I did as well--liked The Kite Runner the best. The movie is actually really well done and the only movie that I felt followed the book and did the book any semblance of justice. If you haven't seen it, check it out. I usually hate to watch movies made from books that I've read (and, even more so, loved) but this one really was well done.

Chris Evans (chrise_tx) | 14 comments I loved this book! It was confusing at times, this book is about different people connected and their lives are affected by the others actions or choices, but they may have never met them. remember each chapter is a new part of the story, the book does not go in chronological order. You may start a chapter and have no idea what is going on, keep reading it will all make sense eventually. You will start to see the big picture of all these random people and how their lives are interconnected to each other.

message 10: by Pamela (new) - added it

Pamela Eglinski (pameglinski) Catherine, Looking forward to your review of "And the Mountains ...". Let me know when you've written it. Thanks! I'm not on the .net too often these days. Engrossed in my own writing. :)

Jennifer | 0 comments I just finished this one and loved loved loved it. A beautiful story. I loved the parallel between the fable in the beginning and the story of Pari and Abdullah. Brilliant if you ask me. A sweet, tender tale and his development of characters always impresses me. I'm immediately drawn to them and want to know more. I loved the change in characters for each chapter. I've always liked that style. And how they intertwine. In each chapter I would see if I could identify who would be speaking in the following chapter. I loved your review, too, Catherine.

Jennifer | 0 comments Sorry, I meant Melissa's review--I loved that one that was posted on this chain. Catherine, have you written one on this one yet?

message 14: by Catherine (new)

Jennifer wrote: "Sorry, I meant Melissa's review--I loved that one that was posted on this chain. Catherine, have you written one on this one yet?"

No review yet; some stuff came up & I had to skip, but back on the review train tomorrow

message 15: by Catherine (new)

Jennifer wrote: "Sorry, I meant Melissa's review--I loved that one that was posted on this chain. Catherine, have you written one on this one yet?"

No review yet; some stuff came up & I had to skip, but back on the review train tomorrow

Melissa (chicklitcentral) | 49 comments Jennifer wrote: "Sorry, I meant Melissa's review--I loved that one that was posted on this chain. Catherine, have you written one on this one yet?"

Glad you liked it!

Lesley Catherine wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "I'm so excited to read this one. I loved The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns. He's a fabulous author."

Agreed, Jennifer. Loved the Kite Runner best."

The kite runner story still stays with me as a great story. Unfortunately for me this one was not at that level. Though a good story I thought too many chars tees to keep track of.

Celine (celinefrazier) I loved it! It was so good I didn't want to put it down!

Berfu | 19 comments Just got around to finishing this one. Sadly, I did not seem to enjoy it as much as the others. Although I loved his first two books, the changing characters and stories were not my cup of tea. This aside his writing style was eloquent as always.

Side note: has a review been done for this book Catherine? Haven't been able to find it. Thanks!

message 20: by Catherine (new)

Berfu wrote: "Just got around to finishing this one. Sadly, I did not seem to enjoy it as much as the others. Although I loved his first two books, the changing characters and stories were not my cup of tea. Thi..."

I had something personal come up that week and never wrote a review.

message 21: by Beth (new) - rated it 3 stars

Beth | 145 comments I was a few days behind but just finished it today. I liked it a lot (although not as much as Kite Runner) and appreciated his beautiful style of writing. I mean seriously, this guy could write a cookbook and it would come out sounding like poetry!

But as much as I love the writing I wasn't so crazy about all of the storylines - some of it seemed a little too contrived, a little too much like the storyline of a soap opera.

I still gave it 4 stars though, because I do think his writing merits it.