Audiobooks discussion

Archives > Downpour problems

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 1071 comments PLEASE can someone help me. I started a membership with Downpour b/c some books are only available through them and not from Audible, which I love. The problem is that the downloads do not work any more AND my computer cannot find the files of those I have downloaded before.

I use Firefox and listen on an Ipod Touch. When I download I choose M4B format and I open through Itunes.

First the pictures of the Audiobooks were visible in my library at Itunes but I could not play them b/c the computer told me it could not find them. So then I deleted the "empty coves" and tried to download them again. When I try to download I wait until it says it is complete and then automatically a screen opens at Itunes - BUT the audiobook is not there!!!!!

And this is the weirdest. I tried with one book and it did work but then the next day my computer again could not find it.

I am very upset. I have contacted Downpour and they say they cannot help me; it must be my problem. This means that the books I have purchased there are lost to me.

I know that others have mentioned a problem with Downpour. Has your problem been resolved?

message 2: by Angie (new)

Angie (angiemb) | 231 comments Well, this is what I do when I download from Downpour. I created a "Downpour Downloads" folder in My Documents. Then when I go to my library and click on download, a box pops up that asks me if I want to open or save the file. If you click save then it asks where you want to save and I chose the Downpour folder. I think it automatically goes into iTunes, but if it doesn't then you know where to find it. That works for me anyway.

message 3: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 1071 comments Angie, I will go try. I have to get some help from my husband since my vision is poor.

Also I want to add that Downpour just contacted me and they seem to be suggesting the same thing.

Cross your fingers for me. I will try as soon as I can.

message 4: by Angie (new)

Angie (angiemb) | 231 comments I hope that works out.

message 5: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 1071 comments Angie, keep your fingers crossed for me. THANK YOU for your help, and I will return to tell you what happens when I try.

message 6: by David (new)

David | 4 comments I do the same as Angie and create an audiobook folder and save all my downloads into it. Usually if you just click save the audiobook files will save into the downloads folder on your computer. After the download from your downpour library has finished you can search for the title of the book from the start menu, locate the files then put them into whatever folder you choose, then you can add the files to itunes.

message 7: by Chrissie (last edited Jun 07, 2013 10:42AM) (new)

Chrissie | 1071 comments My husband and I succeeded!!!!!!! YAY, I cannot quite do as either of you do. Angie, I clicked on save the file rather than opening with Itunes - BUT it did not ask me where I wanted to save it, however I had seen that they were in a download folder in my computer. For some reason there were several such download folders! I found the files I had downloaded and if I opened them they went to Itunes. Sometimes it doesn't work and you have to repeat it. I made a download file as you suggested but I could not move them there with paste or copy. Anyhow it is working. How come every computer does stuff differently?

I have been trying to get this to work this entire week and finally with your advice and Downpour's too it now works.

I am curious to see if they disappear in a few days as they did last time. And why did everything change?

THANK YOU

message 8: by Angie (new)

Angie (angiemb) | 231 comments Chrissie, I'm so glad that you've found a way to download your books so that you can find them later. I know how frustrated you must have been.

Just curious. When you open itunes and click on "add file to library", then click on the downloaded book, does it not open up in itunes then? You should be able to do that without copying and pasting anything.

message 9: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 1071 comments The Itunes popped up itself the way I did it. I have not tried that.

message 10: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 1071 comments I also want to say that Downpour really did help me too and they were not going to desert me until the problem was solved. :0)

message 11: by Angie (new)

Angie (angiemb) | 231 comments I've contacted Downpour before for some problem, can't remember what, and they were very nice and helpful.

message 12: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 1071 comments Angie, I was really miserable when nothing was working after trying for one whole week. I thought I had lost all my books. Downpour was great and you too! They confirmed that one's books there will always remain accessible!

message 13: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 1071 comments Angie, when I went to Itunes and clicked on "add file to library" there came up a screen with music files but none of them were named. I tried to see what they were by playing them, but they would not play! Don't worry I have a way that now works.

Also, the computer can still find the files a day later. Before they disappeared! So now I think my problem is truly solved. I was fuming when nothing worked. Thanks again. Both of you!

:0)

message 14: by Angie (new)

Angie (angiemb) | 231 comments You're welcome. Glad the problem is solved. I hope you find lots of great books from Downpour. Make sure that you get your $6.95 audiobook if you haven't yet. Just pick any audiobook and use the code ANY695 at checkout.

message 15: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 1071 comments I have done that. :0)

Sometimes they have audiobooks that are not available from Audible. I live in Belgium, and there are less available her than in the US. I picked up two Steinbecks that were not available through Audible. Also one by Chernow and The Book of Night Women. None of these were available at Audible!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

That's good to know. The Book of Night Women is in my TBR.

message 17: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 1071 comments Jennifer, you might be able to get it from Audible in your country. It is these stupid publication rules. It has excellent narration.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, I see :-)