Kids/Teens Book Club discussion

Questions & Debate > Can you name some good books for ages 12 and up?

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Insi (new)

Insi | 25 comments Can you name some good books for ages 12 and up?

message 2: by Bruce (new)

Bruce (brucearrington) are you asking about standard publishing houses, or does that include indie/self published?

message 3: by Haylee (new)

Haylee (hammhaylee) | 44 comments I am 11 and just finished reading The Diary of Anne Frank
Also one of my favorite is the Janie Johnson series by Caroline B. Cooney, 100 cupboards, The Mysterious Benedict Society, who is Frances Rain and Love, Aubrey

It all depends on the genres u like!!!!!

message 4: by Adrian (new)

Adrian Sherlock | 8 comments I write and self publish a series of books called Sherlock Holmes, time detective. I'm an English teacher in my day job so my books are short, fast paced and easy to read. Generally my books contain no bad language or sex scenes. As a self published author I don't have a sub editor so there could be the occasional word error but because I teach grammar my books are grammatically sound. The books feature Sherlock Holmes brought to life to fight villains, phantoms, mummies, robotic baddies and other stuff that I hope appeals to young readers. And they're on Amazon and Kindle for low prices, under ten dollars for the paperbacks.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Sisters Grimm series

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

message 7: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Bennett (nabennett) | 4 comments I just read three great indie books for teens and I'll list 'em both here (the first two probably will appeal more to girls)

Penumbra - by Samantha Bennett
Ugly Stick - by Joy Givens
and Glimpse - by Steven Whibley

Check 'em out!Ugly StickPenumbraGlimpse

message 8: by Katarina (new)

Katarina | 290 comments Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

message 9: by KERFUFFLE (new)

KERFUFFLE Look_it_up | 26 comments If you like supernatural stuff, then the shadow falls series book:Born at Midnight|8705784]

message 10: by Michael (new)

Michael Bast (deathsacademy) | 2 comments I've heard that The Uglies by Scott Westerfeld is good. My 14 year old son has loved the whole series.

message 11: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (modifiedbelle) I recently just read StarGirl and it was so good I read it in one day!

message 12: by Lou (new)

Lou Tomlin | 9 comments The list that is below are really good books for 12 year olds.
I'm eleven and I have read all of these and enjoyed them!

Mates, Dates by Cathy Hopkins
Million Dollar Friends by Cathy Hopkins
Zodiac Girls (might be a bit to childish) by Cathy Hopkins
Cinnamon Girl by Cathy Hopkins
Chronicles of Ixia by Maria V Snyder
Shiver Trilogy by Maggie Stiefvater
The Princess and the Captain by Anne Lauren Bondoux
Cat Royal by Julia Golding
Companion's Quartet by Julia Golding
Secret Series by Pseudonymous Bosch
Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Lily Series by Holly Webb
Rose Series by Holly Webb
Children of the Lamp Series by P.B. Kerr

Hope this helped
From, Lou Tomlin

message 13: by Lou (new)

Lou Tomlin | 9 comments Oh and check out Violet Wings by Victoria Hanley

message 14: by spidrenflora (new)

spidrenflora | 78 comments Hmm, well everyone's interests are different,but I really liked these.

the Raven Boys
the Scorpio Races
the Fault in Our Stars
Maximum Ride
Divergent
Harry Potter (of course)
Numbers (this one I wouldn't recommend for 12-year-olds
the Giver

message 15: by Fox (new)

Fox  (aegontargaryen) | 141 comments THE QUANTUM PROPHECY!!!

message 17: by Fox (new)

Fox  (aegontargaryen) | 141 comments Maximum ride
The quantum prophecy
Super human
The ascension
Legend
Divergent
Inkheart
Percy Jackson
Harry potter
Lord of the rings
Eragon
Found
Enders game
The power of four
The hobbit
The demon king
The wizard heir
The gathering
Magyk
City of bones
Witch and wizard
Savvy
The last dragon chronicles

message 18: by Raevyn (new)

Raevyn "Lucia" [I'm in it for the books] (raevynstar) | 43 comments Well, I'm twelve, so I'll just put a link to my shelves:
http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

I hope that helps. :)

message 19: by M.J. (new)

M.J. Webb (mjwebb) | 37 comments Hi,
Warning; An author promoting his own books is just wrong. So, let me begin by saying that they are awful.

That said, I hope you don't mind but I saw your post and thought I'd reply to your question?

I specifically penned my novels for anyone above twelve (they were written for my children actually). I now find that I have struggled to reach my intended audience. So, I'm offering a free book (or books) to any teen/young adult who likes fantasy and has a little imagination. All I ask is that they post a review when they have finished (and maybe help to spread the word if it's their thing?).

The Keeper of the Stones (Jake West, #1) by M.J. Webb Warriors of the Heynai (Jake West, #2) by M.J. Webb The Estian Alliance (Jake West, #3) by M.J. Webb

Genre: Teen Fantasy

Book Description:
The Keeper of the Stones (Jake West #1)

When fifteen year old Jake West and his best friend, Ben Brooker, help Jake's grandfather clear his attic of the junk he's collected from his years of travelling, the boys discover an old chest containing a beautifully carved wooden box. The box contains a set of five mysterious stones and, when they erupt to emit a bright beam of light, it sparks an epic journey which will lead Jake into a dangerous world and to the discovery of some strange family secrets. The future of our world and countless others now lies in the hands of a fifteen year old boy. If he can't protect the stones.....

Warriors of Heynai (Jake West #2)

The Heynai bestowed upon the people of Estia one great weapon to fight the forces of evil, a set of five stones which possess unlimited powers. They housed them in a protective box and entrusted it to a Keeper, a guardian chosen from Earth. For centuries, the Stones and the Keepers defended their world against wizards, tyrants and armies.

Until the day that two ordinary fifteen year old boys from England broke them. In ‘Jake West – The Keeper of the Stones’ the boys fought battles, freed an entire army from slavery, and waged war against an evil wizard and his legions of murderous beasts.

Now, the beleaguered Rebel Army is marching to the city of Dassilliak, pursued by the tyrant, King Vantrax, his savage beast warlord, Sawdon, and his entire Northern Army. Ahead of them lies a sizeable enemy force which is waiting to spring a deadly trap. They are running out of time and they are in desperate need of a miracle. The only weapon they have lies in ruins. Jake West is the only one who can restore it. But Jake and the seriously wounded Ben have gone home!

The Estian Alliance (Jake West #3)

Jake West's battle against the forces of evil continues as he leads the remnants of the Estian Alliance to Te'oull. Hot on their heels is an army of murderous beasts intent on sealing their doom. The war of wars is here. The future of us all depends upon the actions of an ordinary fifteen year old boy. If he fails to restore the weapon bestowed upon the Estians by the Heynai and fulfil his destiny, all will be lost. This is the last book in the best selling Jake West trilogy, following on from 'The Keeper of the Stones' and 'Warriors of the Heynai'

Anyone interested can pms me with their preference. I work full time so there may be a delay but I will respond. You can choose to read just book one, or all three.

Formats available: PDF

Thanks for your time and sorry to rec my own books.

Frodothemagicdragon | 9 comments Divergent by Veronica Roth
I am number four by Piticus lore
Raven boys by Maggie Steifvater
Ashfall by Mike Mullen
Miss peregrines home for peculiar children by ransom riggs

message 21: by Elysia (new)

Elysia (elysia_rae) Holes by Louis Sachar, it's humorous, has some adventure and mystery, along with fantasy, a great book for all kids! (And teens)

message 22: by James (new)

James Loftus Celtic Blood

Giveaway on currently: https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sh...

It is historical fiction that is non-stop action.

A boy, his father murdered, must rely on his sword and his only friend, amid the Scottish highland peaks where dangers, human, and natural,
are ever present.

When nigh fall and witches meet, darkness into men's hearts, does creep.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

any book by Gail Levine well besides Ever that one is awful of a book.

message 24: by Brittney (new)

Brittney (brittney_joy) | 11 comments If horses are your thing, check out--> Red Rock Ranch Red Rock Ranch (Lucy's Chance ~ Book 1) by Brittney Joy