Mock Printz 2022 discussion

The Lucy Variations
This topic is about The Lucy Variations
Mock Printz 2014 > The Lucy Variations by Sara Zarr

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Whitney (wsquared) | 68 comments The winner of our June Mock Printz reading poll and it has received four starred reviews. What makes this book stand out in the YA literary landscape?

Jenna Friebel (jenna_friebel) | 86 comments I thought this book was beautiful. I thought the main character was more mature than most YA characters which was refreshing. I liked that the book was really all about her becoming her best self rather than focusing on romance. It's not a book where girl finds guy. It's a book where girl finds herself. Really powerful.

message 3: by Mary HD (last edited Jun 27, 2013 06:53AM) (new) - added it

Mary HD (marymaclan) | 81 comments I'm not so sure that this book DOES stand out in the YA literary landscape. This is the first book that I have read by this author, who usually addresses edgier subjects. I found this to be a somewhat predictable look at the life of an incredibly accomplished, incredibly affluent high-school-age pianist. (My emphasis on incredible, as in lacks credibility.) While the writing is fluent, the main characters appealing and the subsidiary characters at least intriguing, I had no doubt that everything was going to work out well for Lucy. It was hard to really care.

Whitney (wsquared) | 68 comments I agree with you, Mary! This book was pleasant enough to read, but everything about the plot and the characterizations just seemed too obvious for me. I have read all of Sara Zarr's books and this was my least favorite.