Children's Books discussion

Books for Specific Age-Groups > Help! Books for ESL Reader (15-Year-Old) to Improve Vocabulary

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Krystalin (new)

Krystalin | 5 comments Hi,
Just wondered if anyone could suggest some books that would be available in India for a Japanese 15 year old who needs help in building her vocabulary. Her everyday speaking in English is good, but she gets stuck in comprehension because she comes across so many unfamiliar words. Her writing is also dry because of, you guessed it, lack of a wider vocabulary. Her holidays are coming up and she needs suggestions on what books would help her. Books with a lot of descriptive words that are easy to understand would be great. She's also not a very avid reader and has not read many books, even in her native Japanese. Would really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

message 2: by Krystalin (new)

Krystalin | 5 comments Thanks Abigail. Appreciate the quick response. =)

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 01, 2014 03:13PM) (new)

I don't know if it's available in India, but Monument 14? Or The Haunted School, The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, Am I the Princess or the Frog?, Diary of a Wimpy Kid? Some of them might be too easy, but yeah.

message 4: by Krystalin (new)

Krystalin | 5 comments Raevyn, thanks for the suggestions. I no longer teach the girl I mentioned, but I love these suggestions for my own kids. Mainly the two younger. Trying to get my 11 year old more interested in books since her attention span is not great and long books quickly lose her. =) I have "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever" and I know "Diary..." series is available. She read "Diary of Amos Lee" and enjoyed it so I'm sure she'd enjoy this series though I haven't read any, popular though they are. =)Will check the others out. Thanks again for your response.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Krystalin wrote: "Raevyn, thanks for the suggestions. I no longer teach the girl I mentioned, but I love these suggestions for my own kids. Mainly the two younger."
Monument 14 might be too mature for the average 11-year old. I'm glad I could help, though, and I'll come back with more suggestions soon. :)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Here are more:

Skeleton Key by Anthony Horowitz
Smoke Mountain--Erin Hunter (it's in the middle of a series, so it might not be ideal)
Big Nate In a Class by Himself--Lincoln Peirce (very similar to Kinney's work, but still good)

message 8: by ABC (new)

ABC (mary6543) | 341 comments I live in Japan and I have studied books to learn Japanese. Here are some good ones.

Magic Tree House (lots of technical words)
Goosebumps
Sweet Valley High/Baby Sitters Club type books. These are supposed to be good for language learners.

I don't know if you can get them, but there are bilingual comics. For example, Doraemon and Atom Boy (Astro Boy) in English. They show both the Japanese and the translated English. We like these books. There are lots of books in this series.

Good luck!

message 9: by Krystalin (new)

Krystalin | 5 comments Kirei wrote: "I live in Japan and I have studied books to learn Japanese. Here are some good ones.

Magic Tree House (lots of technical words)
Goosebumps
Sweet Valley High/Baby Sitters Club type books. These a..."

Thanks Kirei. As mentioned above, I no longer teach the Japanese teen I mentioned, but the books you suggested look interesting. Will see if I can find the when I have the time, for my kids and to increase my own knowledge of other languages. =)