The Wide Web of Friends in YA Books discussion

Debates > E-books vs. real books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rachel, The Overseer (new)

Rachel (starjoy899) | 842 comments Mod
Which do you prefer?

message 2: by Rachel , The Attentive One (new)

Rachel  (APCB Reviews) (gr8rach) | 8842 comments Mod
I like both. Reading from my iPad so much easier because I don't have to go to the store to buy the book. I can double-tap and a definition of a word comes up. I can highlight and bookmark things. And it's harder to cheat and skip around in the book like I do when a book is boring. I like reading from a real book though because it just feels normal, for lack of a better explanation.

message 3: by Rachel, The Overseer (new)

I totally understand, I like e-readers and books

message 4: by Ilana (new)

Ilana (iscm13) | 15 comments def e-books. i used to think that i read a lot but now i read even more. i think that it's partly due to the weight (so much lighter and easier to travel with) and the ease at getting books. not that i'm lazy, but there's something to be said about being able to just click a few buttons to get a new book.

message 5: by Sapir (last edited Jun 14, 2013 12:53PM) (new)

Sapir | 8 comments I barely read physical books anymore... I just LOVE my Kindle. It's so cute and slim and i just want to sit all day and hug it XD (God, I sound like a creeper.. *..*)
The main reason I read ebooks is that they are very easy to get - you don't even have to go out of the house for them. I get an ebooks at the moment I want the book, even if it's Indie or hard-to-get...

message 6: by Rachel, The Overseer (new)

I like that they're cheaper and less likely to be overdue with the library.

message 7: by Gabs (new)

Gabs I love physical books a lot-I like reading them better, I like having an actual copy, and well, um...this is going to sound weird, but....new books smell amazing!

message 8: by Gabs (new)

Gabs But I do like ebooks, too. They're great for discovering indie.

message 9: by Rachel, The Overseer (new)

G.K. wrote: "But I do like ebooks, too. They're great for discovering indie."

I tots. agree! I can do so much with both! Ur not weird for liking the smell of books. Everyone should.

message 10: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Rodas | 13 comments I like both, ever since I got my nook i have been way more of an avid reader (if that's even possible) but I regret buying the selection series on my nook and plan on buying it next time I go to a book store because there are just some books that you just have to have with you to hold, that you have a sort of mental attachment to i guess but there are other books that I would rather just have conveniently on my nook taking up less space for less money so I think a combination of both is perfect because there are just so many convinces from E-books but physical books can hold a lot of sentimental value

message 11: by Rachel, The Overseer (new)

I'm saving up for an e-reader. What kind should I get?

message 12: by Rachel, The Overseer (new)

Debbie wrote: "I like both, ever since I got my nook i have been way more of an avid reader (if that's even possible) but I regret buying the selection series on my nook and plan on buying it next time I go to a ..."

I <3 The Selection Series!!

message 13: by Rachel , The Attentive One (new)

iPads can be used for multiple things. If you want a strictly e reader no other uses, then get a kindle. iPad Mini is a great e reader and the perfect size. If you are going to use it for more than an e reader then get an iPad mini $329 I think but it is worth it;)

message 14: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Rodas | 13 comments I think a nook is the way to go my cousin has a kindle and i don't really like it the formate and every thing it just doesn't feel right, a iPad can be very pricey and its not all focused on books, I have the original which is 200 dollars so if that out of your price range then there are many other cheaper types but mine doesn't just buy books you can also use the web and can buy apps I love it and I love the selection series to!!!>.< can't wait for the Elite

message 15: by Rachel, The Overseer (new)

Debbie wrote: "I think a nook is the way to go my cousin has a kindle and i don't really like it the formate and every thing it just doesn't feel right, a iPad can be very pricey and its not all focused on books,..."

It's already out!

P.S. thanks for the tip. :D

message 16: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Rodas | 13 comments Oh right! I have it lol sorry I can be such a scatter brain what I meant was The One the THIRD book in the series

p.s. no problem :)

message 17: by Rachel , The Attentive One (new)

I am so excited for The One:)

message 18: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Rodas | 13 comments I wonder what color the cover and dress ( assuming they put a dress on the cover again) will be, recently two of my favored book trilogies has made the last book cover orange and it just doesn't look good it's disappointed me and they say bad things come in threes so I'm really hoping that the cover will be good if anything at least not orange:P

message 19: by Rachel, The Overseer (new)

Debbie wrote: "I wonder what color the cover and dress ( assuming they put a dress on the cover again) will be, recently two of my favored book trilogies has made the last book cover orange and it just doesn't lo..."

America just wouldn't look good in orange. I don't think the cover designer would make that mistake. (I would hope not at least!)

message 20: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Rodas | 13 comments True with her having red hair and all that wouldn't be her best look ooohhh ooohhh what if it's a white wedding dress!!! Since you know in the end Maxon and America have to get married, it just has to happen :P

message 21: by Rachel, The Overseer (new)

IKR!! If they don't I will DIE!!

message 22: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Rodas | 13 comments IKR!!! I swear if he chooses Kriss I will just lose it no matter how many mistakes America makes he just can't not be with her!

message 23: by Rachel , The Attentive One (new)

Maybe the color of Illéa's royalty? It is not purple tho... Remember something about purple being bad...?

message 24: by Rachel , The Attentive One (new)

I am going to cry and chuck my iPad across the room if America and Maxon don't get married.

message 25: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Rodas | 13 comments Yeah and since they sorta already introduces the thing about the color purple in The Elite I don't think it would be appropriate to make it the book cover for The One unless the make the thing about the color purple a big deal in The One but you know what as long as America and Maxon live happy ever after actually not even just together then the book cover could be orange for all I care:P

message 26: by Rachel, The Overseer (new)

I hope it's a wedding gown on a hanger. If America is in it, it makes it odvious he's gonna pick her. (Not that it isn't already!) :D

message 27: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Rodas | 13 comments Ooohhh how about someone's in the wedding gown but their facing the other way and the vale is covering her hair! That would be cool :)

message 28: by Rachel , The Attentive One (new)

I'm so excited for the cover alone!!

message 29: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Rodas | 13 comments True like I said as long as Maxon and America are together in the end it's all good, though a cool book cover wouldn't hurt :)

message 30: by sim (new)

sim | 156 comments I prefer physical books. I read e- books only when I don't find a book. E-books make me sleepy and I'd rather protect my eyes, thank you! :P

message 31: by Celeste (new)

Celeste Link to a video on this subject bellow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlp_K...

message 32: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Rodas | 13 comments Omg I love her!>.< I follow her on YouTube :)

message 33: by Celeste (new)

Celeste ME TOO! Love her for introducing me to The mortal instruments!

message 34: by micah (new)

micah (mandersonxoxo) I like reading ebooks because they are cheaper (once you have the ebook) to buy the books, easier to purchase so when you NEED a book you can just buy it straight away. Also, easier to bookmark and add notes/highlight. + the fact that it can carry loads of books.
However, I also like real books because of the smell. I LOVE the smell of books! And just the feeling of having a book in your hand.:)

message 35: by micah (new)

micah (mandersonxoxo) Ana wrote: "Both have pros and cons, I think.
Ebooks are cheaper and I'm able to get more, but I love the feel of paper and (kind of creepy) the smell of a new book (no judgement:) ))"

Haha:) Totally agree!

message 36: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (audrey26) I kind of prefer real books, but some e-books are super cheap.

message 37: by Rachel, The Overseer (new)

Killer (Celeste) wrote: "Link to a video on this subject bellow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlp_K..."

I love her! She's great! I like the video The Mourning Period.

I like physical books, but I also like the idea of having 1000 books in my hand!

message 38: by Rachel , The Attentive One (new)

I LOVE the mourning period. That's exactly what I went through after finishing Clockwork Prince. Have you seen How Fans Watch Vampire Diaries. That one is hilarious, especially if you watch the show.

message 39: by Sharon (new)

Sharon L (sharon_l) | 14 comments Well, Books are always the best. But I discovered recently how comfterable is reading ebooks. Suddenly I can read EVERYWHERE with just my phone with me.

Less embarassing in the middle of class.

message 40: by Rachel , The Attentive One (new)

Definitely!! I read on my phone during French class all the time. And what's great about bringing my iPad mini with me on vacations is that I have access to 20 books just on my bookshelf and a lot more on iBooks. Imagine if they were physical books that I had to lug around in suitcases. Not fun.

message 41: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (audrey26) Exactly. And if you finish your book while you're traveling, or somewhere where you can't get a new book right away, you have a bunch of e-books.

message 42: by hanaa (new)

hanaa (coffeeshopcorner) I mostly read e-books because I find it so much easier, and cheaper too. ;) Especially since I can read on my phone, my computer, my iPad... everywhere. It's fun.

message 43: by Rachel , The Attentive One (new)

Same! I find myself reading ebooks more often. It's great because I can read from my iPhone, iPodTouch, iPadMini, and iPad and it's all synced to update each electric bookshelf whenever I buy something new. And it's much easier buying from iBooks or Kindle than going to the book store. (I know, I'm lazy.)

message 44: by Rachel , The Attentive One (new)

I also love the define, notes, and highlight buttons :)

message 45: by J. (new)

J. Greene (j_greene) I will always love physical books. I do read eBooks but I don't prefer them over physical books. If I had my way I'd have a library for my books.

message 46: by hanaa (new)

hanaa (coffeeshopcorner) I prefer physical books too. It's just that eBooks make life easier. Especially since in the bookstores near me, they only sell classics, so if I want the latest books, I have to go to the big bookstores, far, faaar away from my home and I'm way too lazy to do that.

message 47: by J.R. (new)

J.R. Dawson | 12 comments I don't enjoy reading an ebook as much as a real one, because let's face it -- ebooks don't have that cool smell. :)

message 48: by Rachel , The Attentive One (new)

Yeah that's true... Ebooks are a lot easier to carry around tho and I'm too lazy to go to book stores so I probably read 60% ebooks and 40% physical books.

Julia Griffis - The Romance Bibliophile (theromancebibliophile) Boy, this is a tough one because they both have their pros and cons. I guess I prefer reading e-books because their usually cheaper, you can personalize your settings, and they are usually lighter than a physical book. Although I like to read regular books as well.

message 50: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 203 comments I love love love love reading an actual book! The smell and the feel of the pages just adds to the experience. But to be honest, most of the books I read lately are ebooks. They are just so much cheaper, and I can get a new one instantly. Plus, and slightly embarrassingly, I can read it on my phone in boring classes.

« previous 1