How to Promote YOUR book on Amazon discussion

Can an indie author get an agent?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ahmed (new)

Ahmed Al-Sheikh | 46 comments Just wondering if an independent author can use his work to get an agent, which may help with getting the work out to more people.

message 2: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Mooney | 78 comments Sure-why not?

message 3: by Rinelle (new)

Rinelle Grey (rinellegrey) I know of at least one indie author who has an agent, so it is possible. I'm sure it will become more popular as indie publishing continues to grow.

message 4: by Ahmed (new)

Ahmed Al-Sheikh | 46 comments So, how do you query one? Do you send a few chapters, or a copy of the book? How do you even phrase it in a way that hooks them and doesn't turn them off because you're published already?

message 5: by Ed (new)

Ed Teja (traveling_ed) | 3 comments You query an agent the same way you would a publisher. First, see if they have a web site or listing in one of the writer's markets. Usually there will be instructions about how to submit your work for consideration. Then follow the directions. Failing that, a well-written letter of introduction that cuts out crap like "I have a book that will sell millions" and instead suggests a professional attitude will get the attention you want.

But the real question is why you would want an agent? What do you think they can do for you that you can't do yourself (and retain the 15%)?

message 6: by Ahmed (new)

Ahmed Al-Sheikh | 46 comments It's the promoting and marketing that's killing me. Getting as many people aware of my work.

message 7: by Ed (new)

Ed Teja (traveling_ed) | 3 comments You don't change that by getting an agent or a publisher. My agent expects to see a business plan when I pitch a book. The plan outlines how I will sell the book--me, not them. Where I will do signings or find tie in deals and so on. The publishers want to see that because they don't do it except for the big names. If you want to be a writer, either get a handle on the marketing and promoting or don't do it-- just write and let readers find you. If you are writing well, Ahmed, you will build a readership. But it takes time.

message 8: by Dally (new)

Dally Johanis | 59 comments Ed wrote: "You don't change that by getting an agent or a publisher. My agent expects to see a business plan when I pitch a book. The plan outlines how I will sell the book--me, not them. Where I will do sign..."

Ed, I agree, authors need to find someone to trust. Most do not know how to make any money for themselves, and do not know how to market their books. They are so excited about getting read that they give away their product for free or sell it for nothing. If you want to make money and get noticed, without an agent, see

www.californiatimespublishing.com

They are strictly for indie authors who are ready to start getting sales now, for those who want to find the niche in the middle between no exposure and NY Times bestsellers. Once you start getting sales, then your ranking increases, then you can start reviewers to tell you how good or bad your book really is. It you think you are that good, it will show up, as CA Times brings people to your book.

The process for finding an agent is archaic. With publishing available to you, agents are struggling to keep up. you have the power to take control of your own work,you just need someone who knows how to bring buyers to you. If the work is good, it will surface, but you just need people to see it.

There is something misleading that makes people feel as though once they publish it, everyone sees it. The fact is no one sees it. There are millions of books stacked on top of yours. You can see that when the book ranking is at 5 million or even 500,000. At least if you can break the top 100,000, you have a chance, but what if you were able to skip over all of that?