The Hobbit, or There and Back Again The Hobbit, or There and Back Again discussion


315 views
Would you go on the adventure?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 118 (118 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

If twelve dwarfs and a wizard showed up at your door and ate all your food and asked you to go on an adventure with them, would you go or stay at home?

I would so go! All you have to say is adventure and i'm already gone.


Karina Ramirez I would go as long as I got to take my chihuahua Frankie along for the adventure. I'm sure he would get along with the dwarfs.


Morganne Keppner I probably would hesitate at first, but I would go, knowing the unspeakable danger, and that I could never go back to the way I used to live.


message 4: by Mark (last edited Jun 06, 2013 09:53PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark 12 dwarfs at my door and asking me to come along for an adventure, sure I'd go or get a drugstest. But I prefer the first option.


Nikki idk but I would like to think that I would go


message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

haha!


message 7: by Craig (last edited Jun 08, 2013 07:15PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Craig If I went, I'd be sure to pack extra pairs of hiking shoes and an M-4 assault rifle with lots of extra magazines and ammo. There's no way I'm going to fight orcs, wargs, giant spiders and whatever else is scurrying around the Misty Moutains and the Mirkwood, let alone a freaking dragon, with nothing more than a sword or a bow and arrows.


message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Modi wrote: "If I went, I'd be sure to pack extra pairs of hiking shoes and an M-4 assault rifle with lots of extra magazines and ammo. There's no way I'm going to fight orcs, wargs, giant spiders and whatever ..."

That takes the fun out of the adventure! :) I would so fight a dragon with a sword! But maybe not a giant spider... I see a tiney one and I wish I had a gun on me... :)


message 9: by Craig (last edited Jun 08, 2013 09:35PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Craig Emma wrote: "Modi wrote: "If I went, I'd be sure to pack extra pairs of hiking shoes and an M-4 assault rifle with lots of extra magazines and ammo. There's no way I'm going to fight orcs, wargs, giant spiders ..."

Dear, dear Emma. White water rafting or deep sea diving is an adventure. Fighting with bladed swords in orc infested caverns or squaring off against a dragon who can spew a jet stream of fire out of it's mouth from a hundred yards away is certain death. So I'll take the M-4 and all its accessories and leave the sword hanging over my fire place. And yeah, spiders are gross. For that matter, anything with more than four legs has absolutely no right to live.


message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I compleatly agree about the no more than four legs thing :). And now that I think about what you said, I think you are compleatly right! I'm now going to take a rifle gun! :)


Craig Amen, Emma. Insects suck! Although I do appreciate bees because they make honey which I REALLY love. But against Smaug I'm not sure even an assault rifle would be much use. For that matter, I think the 1st Marine Division might be overwhelmed by Smaug. But I'd love to see Beorn, Rivendell, take advice from Elrond, fly on an eagle's back, have Gandalf teach me spells, and maybe face one or two goblins providing they were at least 50 yards off and my M-4 was modified to fire on full auto.


Devero No.
Only Twelve Dwarves and a wizard cannot convince me to go with them.

A Thirteen dwarf is required.


message 13: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 09, 2013 08:43PM) (new)

Modi wrote: "Amen, Emma. Insects suck! Although I do appreciate bees because they make honey which I REALLY love. But against Smaug I'm not sure even an assault rifle would be much use. For that matter, I think..."

Haha! Though I disagree about the bees. :)


Craig Emma wrote: "Modi wrote: "Amen, Emma. Insects suck! Although I do appreciate bees because they make honey which I REALLY love. But against Smaug I'm not sure even an assault rifle would be much use. For that ma..."

Well, granted, bees do sting, but what's a cup of hot green tea on a cold winter day without some honey?


message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Modi wrote: "Emma wrote: "Modi wrote: "Amen, Emma. Insects suck! Although I do appreciate bees because they make honey which I REALLY love. But against Smaug I'm not sure even an assault rifle would be much use..."

I don't have honey in my green tea so I guess I wouldn't know


Craig Emma wrote: "Modi wrote: "Emma wrote: "Modi wrote: "Amen, Emma. Insects suck! Although I do appreciate bees because they make honey which I REALLY love. But against Smaug I'm not sure even an assault rifle woul..."

Try it some time. A little honey goes a long way. And it's something your body is naturally evolved to digest, which is more than can be said for the usual sweeteners found in our food, whether saccharin or high fructose corn syrup.


message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Cool! I'll try it.


William Lyons I would want to go on this adventur because its like something out of the ordinary, something you wouldent see in real life propably because of all the creatures such as dwarfs and wizards. But being able to be a dwarf and still keep fighting hard and not giving up is really cool.


message 19: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 10, 2013 08:08PM) (new)

William wrote: "I would want to go on this adventur because its like something out of the ordinary, something you wouldent see in real life propably because of all the creatures such as dwarfs and wizards. But bei..."

Side question: would you take a rifle? Because someone thinks going on the adventure without an M-4 rifle gun is cirten death. Side side question: what's your opinion on bugs?


Devero Rifle?
For sure.
And a bazooka too, for the dragon!


johanna Karina wrote: "I would go as long as I got to take my chihuahua Frankie along for the adventure. I'm sure he would get along with the dwarfs."

LOL!
I love it.

I'd probably hide in my hobbit-hole shaking from head-to-toe. And if the wizard pulled me out by my ears, I'd follow along, terrified, and of no use at all. The first I hear of trolls, I'd probably faint, and be eaten: never mind the dragon.
So yes, I'd love to go on an adventure. I dream about it all the time. But if I got the chance, I'm pretty sure I'd be dead before it had even started, not like Bilbo:)


message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Haha!!! I just had to kill a spider, and it took me about thirty minutes to do it. I was terrified! Shoes weren't good enough for me so I ended up using some sort of cleaner in a spray bottle... So now I think I wold have to take a rifle AND a spray bottle full of chemically cleaner on the adventure, otherwise I will stay in my little SPIDER FREE hobbit hole.


Craig Not sure the spray bottle would work on the spiders in Mirkwood. Unless it's one of those things that with a lighter you can make a small flame thrower out of it.


message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I guess I forgot how big the mirkwood spiders were...


Craig If I remember correctly (it's been a while since I read The Hobbit) they were huge. Big enough to wrap up a dwarf apparently. Was that in the Hobbit movie? By the way, what's an "attercop" exactly? That's what Bilbo called them.


message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah... I doubt any bleach would kill those spiders.... They will be in the next hobbit movie (I think the trailer comes out today...) and what I guessed was that an "attercop" was what the spiders were called, but I could be wrong. It's been a while since I read the book too :)


Craig When did the last movie end? At what point in the book?


message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

It ended looking into smags (I know I spelled it wrong, im just tooo lazy to spell it right) dragon lair. The spiders I'm guessing will come in between the beginning and the middle of the next movie. I don't know for sure. Maybe closer to the middle of the movie...


Craig But where were Thorin & Co.?


message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Umm... Do you mean when the movie ended?


message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

After the eagles...


Craig Emma wrote: "After the eagles..."


Thanks Emma. If I'm feeling particularly masochistic and my local library ever has it so I can borrow it without charge, I might see it. But then you'll be reading about me getting arrested for throwing stones at Peter Jackson probably.


message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Haha!! I would probably do the same :)


Simran YES!


Craig This is off the line of the thread, but to those who might be interested, remember seeing Legolas' archery feats and we watched thinking it impossible, the kind of rapid shooting possible only in a movie? Perhaps not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zGnxe...


Terri I would love to have been on this adventure with this group


Annemarie Donahue Hells yes I would go! Provided I can wear my contacts, get hand cream, take a hot shower daily, eat well, sleep inside and bring my books.. oh and be warm and cozy. Other than that count me in! :)


johanna Modi wrote: "If I remember correctly (it's been a while since I read The Hobbit) they were huge. Big enough to wrap up a dwarf apparently. Was that in the Hobbit movie? By the way, what's an "attercop" exactly?..."

They're coming in the second Hobbit film, I believe, with Mirkwood: we've seen spoilers :) Can't wait.

As for attercop:
The word is Old English, from attor, poison + cop, the head. (Cop, or coppa, was also used by itself to mean a spider, so cobweb ought really to be spelled copweb.) The name was given to spiders in the mistaken belief that they were all poisonous to humans. By the sixteenth century it had begun to be applied to a cross-grained, ill-natured, figuratively venomous person.
http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwo...


Emily Fuller Yes- Otherwise you would regret it, anyone would but i think after a few days- most people might turn back!!!!!!!!


message 40: by Jaye (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jaye i would be just like bilbo...i'd get bamboozled into going and then the whole time i'd be longing for home...cups of tea, a warm bed...i've done my travelling and am now an armchair adventurer, lol ;)


johanna Jayne wrote: "i would be just like bilbo...i'd get bamboozled into going and then the whole time i'd be longing for home...cups of tea, a warm bed...i've done my travelling and am now an armchair adventurer, lol ;)"

Niice :)


Alisa i would


Luna Belle Pris I feel happy enough going on the adventure safe and sound, curled up in a nice comfy chair, reading the Hobbit :)


message 44: by Jaye (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jaye Laura Loves Lunabelles Pris wrote: "I feel happy enough going on the adventure safe and sound, curled up in a nice comfy chair, reading the Hobbit :)"

couldn't agree more :)


Erica Werner If, at this day and age, these fantastical characters showed up at my door with a prospect for adventure, than yes I would go without a moments hesitation.

However if, like Bilbo, seeing a dwarf or wizard would not completely blow my mind alone, and I enjoyed my quiet life in my Hobbit Hole, and knowing danger was inevitable, I must admit it's likely I would decline!


Michael I would think I'm growing crazy, rub my eyes, take another whiskey and read a book...


Talitha I would say.... "You really want me???"

and then probably do the same thing Bilbo did...chicken out and then jump in at the last minute :D


Silverpiper I'd like to believe I would go but....!


Mervi Sure! Absolutely! It would be fantastic even it includes danger. :D


Eleanor Rigby I would not even hesitate. I loved this book and would welcome any adventure that came my way in my normal, boring life. :)


« previous 1 3
back to top