Women's Fiction authors discussion

Need an opinion

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Deluca (darlenedeluca) | 23 comments Hi everyone!
I'm planning to release the first of a small-town trilogy at the end of summer. The book is about a woman who gets slammed with some big-time changes in her life and how she copes -- or doesn't -- with them.

I'd love to know your thoughts on this potential back blurb. Is it intriguing/compelling/interesting? Would you be inclined to flip through the pages or BUY the book?

The Women of Whitfield. Book One: The Storm Within

They say lightning doesn’t strike the same place twice. But they’re wrong...
Claire Stapleton is living proof. First, she loses her beloved son to war. Then her husband to another woman. The life she knew has imploded. She doesn't fit in her own skin anymore, let alone in her community. And in a small town like Whitfield, that’s a big deal.
When the second blast hits, Claire goes from the toast of the town to the talk of the town. Long-time friends rally around her, but Claire hasn’t just come to a fork in the road. It’s road closed ahead. And there are no detour signs to help her get back on the right path.
Withdrawing from people and activities, Claire turns to alcohol to numb her thoughts and feelings, but the destructive course threatens to destroy every relationship left standing - including those with her daughter and her best friend.
Ultimately, Claire must choose whether to fight or give in. Can she find a way – and a reason – to start over?

Darlene
Unexpected Legacy by Darlene Deluca Meetings of Chance by Darlene Deluca

message 2: by Dale (last edited Jun 05, 2013 09:58PM) (new)

Dale Harcombe | 54 comments Sounds good Darlene but wondering if it's a bit long and giving away too much? Just my thoughts of course. I'd cut from 'withdrawing' and go straight to 'Can she find a way etc'

message 3: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Deluca (darlenedeluca) | 23 comments Dale wrote: "Sounds good Darlene but wondering if it's a bit long and giving away too much? Just my thoughts of course. I'd cut from 'withdrawing' and go straight to 'Can she find a way etc'"

Thanks for the feedback, Dale!

message 4: by Dale (new)

Dale Harcombe | 54 comments You're welcome.

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol Brill (goodreadscomuser_carolbrill) Hi Darlene, I'm writing my cover blurb for my next novel, Cape Maybe. It's such a challenge when you know the entire story. An editor at a conference this week advised focusing less on where the story starts or the plot points and more on the lessons the character learns.
That said, I think you have a great start, and agree there is some opportunity to tighten it. I'm happy to give more specific feedback if you message me carol
p.s. you can read my article about the conference and a little more about the editor at http://www.nyjournalofbooks.com/news/...

message 6: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Deluca (darlenedeluca) | 23 comments Carol wrote: "Hi Darlene, I'm writing my cover blurb for my next novel, Cape Maybe. It's such a challenge when you know the entire story. An editor at a conference this week advised focusing less on where the st..."

Thanks, Carol!

message 7: by Ute (new)

Ute Carbone (widldwords) | 30 comments I agree with Carol's sound advice. You have a good start here, but I think you may be trying to do to much. Think about the instigating incident--what's the one thing (or things) that sends her on her journey? I think you have it there in the opening, you just need to cull it back a bit.