The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2013 > 20.9 - Moderator's Pet - Pigletto's task: Whedonite

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Jun 08, 2013 05:51PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10898 comments Mod
20.9 - Moderator's Pet - Pigletto's task: Whedonite

I love all things Joss Whedon. Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse, Cabin in the Woods - I've seen them all. So I'm very excited that this year there are 3 new Joss projects due to be released: Much Ado About Nothing, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, and In Your Eyes. Read a book from ONE of the Joss inspired options below.

Note: In celebration of his new projects, no rereads are allowed for this task.

1. Joss frequently uses references or is inspired by pop culture and classic stories. He even had Dracula starring in an episode of Buffy. I love trying to spot them all!

➜ Read a book that has been inspired by another author's fictional story (this includes myths and fairy tales as well as novels/plays) or one that features another author's fictional character(s). Examples: The Snow Child, Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West, Dodger, The Madman's Daughter. Required: Please state in your post the book/story that is the inspiration or the name of the character and the book they were orginally in.

2. Joss has his favourite actors that he loves to work with and he frequently casts them in his various productions, such as: Nathan Fillion (Firefly/Serenity, Buffy, Dr Horrible and Much Ado About Nothing) and Amy Acker (Angel, Dollhouse and Much Ado About Nothing).

➜ In honour of favourites read a book by one of your favourite authors. Remember no rereads allowed!

3. Joss has kept many of his creations alive through graphic novels - Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Long Way Home, Dollhouse: Epitaphs, Serenity - Omnibus

➜ Read a graphic novel of one of Joss's series or a spin off book/graphic novel of another movie or tv series. Required: Please include in your post the name of the movie or tv series.

Required: State which option you used and include any other required information when you post.

NOTE: Books with genre "Children's" or "Kids" that are at least 100+ pages and conform to all other SRC rules may be used for this task.

NOTE: Books with genres “Graphic Novel,” “Sequential Art,” “Comics,” and “Manga” that conform to all other SRC rules may be used for this task.

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 08, 2013 10:07AM) (new)

These don't:

Option 1

The Red Queen as is inspired by historical events rather than another story
Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night as the character appears in another book in the same series not a work by a different author

Option 3

The Walking Dead, Book Seven as it inspired a tv series rather than being a spin off

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10898 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments This is excellent. Also, I met a bunch of the Firefly cast at the con this past weekend, and oh MAN are they awesome :D

message 6: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments would this work for a retelling of another
story?

The Red Queen

message 7: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Eloisa James' new book Once Upon a Tower is inpsired by the story Rapunzel and the play Romeo and Juliet.

message 8: by Chaitra (new)

Chaitra (chaitra_ganesh) | 520 comments I really hope I get my hands on The Ocean at the End of the Lane (and soon), so I can use it for Option 2! :)

message 9: by Fiona (Titch) (last edited Jun 07, 2013 12:36AM) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Is A Lion Among Men - Gregory Maguire ok for Option 1?

message 10: by Fandury (new)

Fandury | 975 comments Can I read Murder on the Bride's Side for Option 1?

This is inspired by Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility.

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael Mcdaid | 163 comments for option 3 can I do The Walking Dead, Book Seven since the show spin-off from comic

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Kathy G. wrote: "would this work for a retelling of another
story?

The Red Queen"

Sorry, this doesn't work as it's inspired by historical events and people rather than a story.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Donna Jo wrote: "Eloisa James' new book Once Upon a Tower is inpsired by the story Rapunzel and the play Romeo and Juliet."

Approved

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Chaitra wrote: "I really hope I get my hands on The Ocean at the End of the Lane (and soon), so I can use it for Option 2! :)"

I hope you get it. Neil Gaiman is one of my favourites too.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Is A Lion Among Men - Gregory Maguire ok for Option 1?"

Approved

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Fandury wrote: "Can I read Murder on the Bride's Side for Option 1?

This is inspired by Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility."

Approved

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Michael wrote: "for option 3 can I do The Walking Dead, Book Seven since the show spin-off from comic"

Sorry, it has to be a book or graphic novel that is a spin off from a movie/tv series rather than one that became a tv series.

message 18: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Is this a good one?
For retelling?

Spindle's End

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Kathy G. wrote: "Is this a good one?
For retelling?

Spindle's End"

It's perfect.

message 20: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Thank you! :-)

message 21: by Jecca (new)

Jecca | 518 comments For option 1 "one that features a character(s) from another book" - if I read a book that is part of series where characters from prior books are also in the next books does that count? As an example: in No Rest for the Wicked the character Bowen plays a part and he is also in Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night.

Not sure yet if that is the exact book I will use because I have a lot like that but want to make sure the concept is correct.

Thanks and PS I'm a HUGE Joss Whedon fan - great choice for a task!

message 22: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 08, 2013 10:05AM) (new)

Jecca wrote: "For option 1 "one that features a character(s) from another book" - if I read a book that is part of series where characters from prior books are also in the next books does that count? As an examp..."

Sorry, as the option is about how Joss draws on/is inspired by other works the character has to be one created by another author and not one that appears in several books by the same author.

message 23: by Michelle (new)

Michelle  (mnmgbwi) | 198 comments for option one, would Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Classic Regency Romance--Now with Ultraviolent Zombie Mayhem work? I've been meaning to read this for years...

thanks!

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Michelle E wrote: "for option one, would Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Classic Regency Romance--Now with Ultraviolent Zombie Mayhem work? I've been meaning to read this for years...

thanks!"

Yes it will. I've never got round to this one either.

message 25: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1672 comments Would this book meet the requirements for Option 1

Death Cloud by Andy Lane

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Wanda wrote: "Would this book meet the requirements for Option 1

Death Cloud by Andy Lane"

Yes as it has Sherlock Holmes as a character.

message 27: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 683 comments Here are some which I believe will work for Option 1:

Scarlett (Gone With the Wind)
Rhett Butler's People (Gone With the Wind)
The Double Bind (The Great Gatsby)
Juliet (Romeo and Juliet)

message 28: by Stefu (new)

Stefu Smith | 76 comments Will this work for option 1:

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Batman The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Stefu wrote: "Will this work for option 1:

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Batman The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller"

Yes, as Frank Miller didn't create the character.

message 31: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 128 comments Does Inferno by Dan Brown work for this task? The book takes heavy influences and an references Dante's Inferno regularly. Thanks!

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Jackie wrote: "Does Inferno by Dan Brown work for this task? The book takes heavy influences and an references Dante's Inferno regularly. Thanks!"

Yes, it works.