To Kill a Mockingbird To Kill a Mockingbird discussion

to kill a mockingbird

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Savannah (new)

Savannah Poe I didn't super love this book but it was good, deffinetly interesting. I reccomed it to everyone

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I have read this book several times because it's one of my favorites. Try seeing the movie with Gregory Peck. A visual aid (and Peck's sonorous voice) helps to elucidate the action in the book.

Nora I had never read it until my daughter, in college, said, "Oh, it is my FAV book." So, I read it and really liked it. I felt it deserved the great reviews. G. Peck definitely made a wonderful Aticus!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Another comment about the movie -- I think the starkness of the black and white added depth and dimension to the story. Does anyone have a comment about this?

Stephen For a movie of that era they did a nice job of getting the important bits of the book into the movie. I think that the voice-over at the beginning and end of the film was great way to set the mood that took a bit longer in the book to get going.

Of course I DO miss aspects of the book that didn't make it into the film. The whole sub-plot about Ms. Dubose would have been nice to see.

message 6: by Nora (last edited Jun 08, 2013 08:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nora I think you are exactly right about the starkness of black/white film.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Good point, Stephen and I missed-- was it Miss?--Dubose -- or was she widowed? Anyway, a movie can't have everything a book does. I usually like reading the book and then watching the film -- 2 very different experiences. Nora, glad you understand what the medium of black and white film can do.