Oly Reads discussion

Book Talk > Oly Reads first book discussion!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 127 (127 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Agathafrye (new)

Agathafrye | 751 comments Mod
Okay, let's get some of the details worked out on this. Our first book is Tom Brokaw's "Boom!: Voices of the Sixties Personal Reflections and Lessons for Today." Some questions...
*Who wants to play?
*How much time does everyone need to read the book?
*When do we want to meet, or do we want to do the first discussion online?
*If we meet in meatspace, where should we meet? A few suggestions...
-Ben Moore's
-the Mark
-the Voyeur
-Caffe Vita
-Batdorf or Dancing Goats
-Swing wine bar and cafe (haven't been there yet, but I heard it's nice)
-the new dessert cafe on Washington, I think it's called "Mint?"
-Fishbowl
-the Spar

Let me know what you all think, and feel free to add any questions or comments that I haven't yet addressed.

message 2: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (KristiS) | 48 comments I vote for Swing. But honestly, I don't think I can get to and/or through the book for at least a couple of weeks.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 259 comments Mod
I want to play! I'll meet anywhere, but I think wine would liven up the conversation, so I vote for Swing, too. I just need to get hold of the book...

message 4: by Agathafrye (new)

There's no rush. I am also interested in checking out Swing, so I will third the motion. We can set the date for sometime late February/early March? Anyone? Beuller?

message 5: by Judy (new)

Judy (jpitchford) | 40 comments Count me in. I also vote for Swing and think early March might give me enough time to get the book and read it.

message 6: by Agathafrye (new)

Okay, how about Saturday, March 1st or Saturday, March 8th, after 5? Swing is closed on Sundays and Mondays, or I would suggest a Sunday night.

message 7: by Blujbird (new)

Blujbird Twig | 20 comments I would like to play. The place you are talking about on Washington is called "Hint". Anyplace folks wanna meet is just fine with me.

message 8: by Kelsie (new)

Kelsie (kelsierubich) | 18 comments Where the heck is Swing?

message 9: by Agathafrye (new)

Hooray! Looks like we have at least seven peeps, assuming that Meridee and Kelsie are playing. We need some manly types, where are you guys? Swing is on Columbia, in between 8th and 9th. Here's their website...
http://www.swingwinebar.com/

Blujbird, have you been to Hint? Do you like it? I've been wanting to go in there, but haven't had a chance yet.

If y'all could let me know what days work best for you, we can try to nail down a date.

message 10: by Agathafrye (new)

Heckle heckle. Still looking for feedback on a date, and still looking for some mens to join us for this equal opportunity book and alcohol imbibing discussion group.

message 11: by Kelsie (new)

Kelsie (kelsierubich) | 18 comments How about some manly women? Does that count?

As for a date, I say we do it on the 13th of every month!

message 12: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (KristiS) | 48 comments Ooh I like the 13th. Kinda witchy. But the Saturdays (either) would actually work better for moi (i.e. Mar 13 is a work night.)

message 13: by Agathafrye (new)

How about Saturday, March 8th, and then the second saturday of every other month? That would be May 10, July 12, etc.

Manly women definitely count.

message 14: by Meridee (new)

Meridee | 12 comments Forgive me if I have been incommunicado this last fortnight but I was totally ill. I even went to the doctor!! Once about every 12 to 15 years I end up having to see a doctor about something. For the second time in two months I was going into full body hives and anaphylactic shock. Took me more than a week to stop them this time. I was even given an epipen ( I abhor needles), I slept almost 20 hours a day for over a week and have just started living again, I will now restart reading Boom. Hopefully I can make it to the discussion, if not I still will enjoy it vicariously.

Spring is coming!! Take care and happy reading.

message 15: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (KristiS) | 48 comments Yikes, Meridee! So sorry to hear about your illness and glad you're on the mend. March 8th sounds dandy to me.

message 16: by Agathafrye (new)

What did the doctor say that the reaction came from? How scary! I hope you're feeling better and don't have to deal with that again any time soon. If March 8th sounds good for you two, then it's good enough for me. Does 5:30 or 6 work for y'all? I'm thinking it might be early enough that Swing shouldn't be too terribly crowded.

message 17: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (KristiS) | 48 comments let's shoot for 5:30 and try to beat the crowd.

message 18: by Agathafrye (new)

Sounds great! I added it to our "events." Or, should I say, "event."

message 19: by Blujbird (new)

Blujbird Twig | 20 comments I'm down. So its 5:30 March 8th at Swing?

message 20: by Agathafrye (new)

Yes! Looking forward to talking with you more, blujbird/jenny.

message 21: by Agathafrye (new)

Just checking in- how is everybody doing? I loaned my Boom! book to another Oly Reads member, so I must fess up that I haven't started it yet. I'm still planning on coming to Swing that evening, even if I don't get the whole book read. How far along (or not along) is everyone else?

I'm half way through, I'll try to finish it (and return it to you) this weekend. Thankfully, it is sprinkled with illustrations, so it goes fairly quickly. Of course, I'm reading two other books right now, too, so that slows me down a bit.

message 23: by Judy (new)

Judy (jpitchford) | 40 comments Darn! I won't be able to get there. I was fully intending on participating but will be on the road for work that day. Maybe next time...

message 24: by Agathafrye (new)

Bummer, Judy! We'll just have to do it again so that you can come next time. Jackie, that wasn't a hint, I was genuinely curious if everyone else was as far behind as I was. Just so's you know. :)

message 25: by Blujbird (new)

Blujbird Twig | 20 comments Silly me, I went and ordered the wrong book on amazon. I bought "The Greatest Generation" by Tom Brokaw by mistake. Interesting though because this is the generation that raised the Boomers. I still have not read Boom yet, but I won't let that stop me from having a drink with everyone at SWING.
I will miss you Pitchfork, hope you can do another time!

message 26: by Agathafrye (new)

Well, you and I can be the ones that haven't really read the book yet. Good times!

message 27: by Meridee (new)

Meridee | 12 comments I won't be able to join you at the get together. Sorry, but the good news is that I am going to visit my grandson to give him his second birthday presents! It doesn't sound that exciting but I will be taking the train and spending 2 days with them. I was discussing it with my husband and we realized that I have not been away from him overnight -let alone out of state- for about 25 to 30 years. Whoa!

I am about half way through Boom. I am finding it interesting but a little dry. I also watched the movie Across The Universe and found it to be quite a run down an emotional lane. It is more than a cute and colorful musical about the Beatles. I started to feel the anger, angst, and upset of the era. They touched on so many events that happened and made me feel them again. The confusion, the lies, the upheaval and misunderstanding was all there to see and feel.

I realize that Brokaw's style is more "reporter-like" and he does try to be personal in his telling but it is not reaching me very well. It reads more warmly than the Warren Commission Report on the Kennedy Assassination though. I will still slog through and hope to get more into his style. He does have a unique view of the happenings of the times.

See you all on the board when I get back.Sorry that I couldn't join you. Enjoy your get together.

message 28: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (KristiS) | 48 comments should we reschedule this event? I have an earache! :-(

message 29: by Agathafrye (new)

What does everyone think? I'm okay either way. Let me know what you all want to do... I'll check in again before tomorrow.

message 30: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (KristiS) | 48 comments feelin' much better today so JD and I will probably head down there either way to check out Swing... (maybe I should bring some of that powdered vitamin C to dump in my cocktail.) ;-)

k

I'm still up for getting together tonight, if we have enough group members who are able and willing.
Jackie

message 32: by Blujbird (new)

Blujbird Twig | 20 comments I am available....let me know when everyone decides.

message 33: by Kelsie (new)

Kelsie (kelsierubich) | 18 comments i'm also feeling better after sleeping a total of something like 15 hours last night! i didn't read the book but i'd love to meet all of you (and see the you's that i already know!)

kristi-i just bought a big box of emergen-c. i can bring you some ;)

message 34: by Agathafrye (new)

Let's just go have a drink! I've got a tickle in my throat, too, but I won't breathe on any of you just in case. I don't have the book with me, and I've read about two chapters, but maybe Jackie can tell us all about it. :)

message 35: by Kelsie (new)

Kelsie (kelsierubich) | 18 comments I would just like to say that I think the first bookgroup meeting was a fantastic success!

(For future reference- table 11)

I think we need a shorter, more easily obtained from the library book for the next time, as I was the only one who came who had made it through Boom (because someone kindly lent me her copy).
Why don't we make suggestions and see what sounds the most appealing to everyone?
Here are my ideas, with rationales:

1984 - Has Orwell's vision become our virtual reality?

Black Hole by Charles Burns - graphic novel set in Seattle during the 80's. Teens are passing around an STD that causes mutations. Could it be a metaphor?

Freakonomics by Steven Leavitt - what really stopped the crime wave in NYC?

Blink by Malcolm Gladwell - Are stereotypes always bad?

I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak - Is it so wrong to live the slacker lifestyle?

The Partly Cloudy Patriot by Sarah Vowell - which someone suggested at the meeting last Saturday. Could some self-deprecation have saved Al Gore's candidacy in 2000?

The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin - this intricate Newbery Winner mystery is fantastically funny.

I also suggest meeting someplace we don't need to worry about reservations, or about disturbing neighboring tables with our raucous comments. May I suggest, my living room. I'm just down the street from Ralph's Thriftway, and I have a big old untidy house. I would gladly welcome all Oly Readers. You would all behave, right?

Okay, that's enough from me.

message 37: by Agathafrye (new)

We had a blast- y'all missed out! The evening somehow ended with a stroll around Heritage park (complete with smuggled champagne and paper cups) and a roll down the hill. Sadly, I have been sick ever since, but it was worth it.

As for Jackie's excellent suggestions, my top four picks would be I am the Messenger, Partly Cloudy Patriot, Westing Game, and Black Hole. I would opt for fiction this time since we did nonfiction last time. Should we shoot for sometime early May for the next one? What nights work best for people?

message 38: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (KristiS) | 48 comments Jackie, that is so generous of you! I am fine with any of the selections that Agatha mentioned, though I've read two of them (Westing Game & Black Hole). Would happily re-read.

Maybe we should plan on bringing some snacks to share? (We'll leave the champagne at home.) ;-)

Thurs eve is the only tricky night for me.

message 39: by Agathafrye (new)

What does everyone else want to read? I'd like to hear from a few more people before we decide...

message 40: by Judy (new)

Judy (jpitchford) | 40 comments I would kindo of like to read Westing Game again but anything Fiction-ish is fine with me.

Judy

message 41: by A.J. (new)

A.J. (ajash) | 32 comments I'd love to come this time, but it'll have to be a Friday/weekend night or day again-I can't do weeknights.

My votes are for The Westing Game (this book haunted me for years as a child-not sure why but I'd love to reread and find out!) or Black Hole, which sounds really intriguing.

message 42: by Agathafrye (new)

I'd say let's go for the Westing Game! I've been wanting to read that for a long time. What day works best for people? Do people want to go out, or go to Jackie's house? I'm cool with either option. Saturday nights are my preferred night, speaking for myself.

message 43: by Blujbird (new)

Blujbird Twig | 20 comments I'm down for the Westing Game (never heard of it before now) I can meet weekends too.

message 44: by Agathafrye (new)

How about meeting Saturday, April 26th? That's one month from today- does that give people enough time? I'm thinking sometime between 5:30 & 6:30. People should weigh in on whether we want to accept Jackie's generous invitation or meet somewheres public, or I WILL DECIDE FOR YOU. You've been warned... :)

I can promise rockin' tunes and fresh brownies at my house. But, wait, that's dinner time. Do you guys all like homemade macaroni and cheese?

message 46: by Agathafrye (new)

I like macaroni and cheese and brownies and food in general. That's just me, though.

message 47: by Susan (new)

Susan  Dunn (SusanP) Do you guys realize that the 26th is Procession of the Species?

message 48: by Kelsie (new)

Kelsie (kelsierubich) | 18 comments "I WILL DECIDE FOR YOU."
Way to take the dominate role in the pack that is Oly Reads, Kelsey! haha ;)

I can't make it if it's the 26th, but I will be there in spirit for sure!

I had NOT realized that the 26th was the Procession, which I was planning to go to. How about Sunday, the 27th, instead?

message 50: by A.J. (last edited Mar 27, 2008 04:02PM) (new)

A.J. (ajash) | 32 comments I can't do Sunday evenings, it turns out, and having just reread the book, I so much want to be there. How about the Saturday before, the 19th? I'll promise to return the book to the library by this Saturday for anybody who needs it, if that helps...:}>

« previous 1 3