A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3) A Storm of Swords discussion


634 views
Anyone else get a sick gratification when...

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Salome the Red Wedding episode of "Game of Thrones" aired and all the viewers got to experience the same anger and anguish we all felt when we read the book? My reaction was "Muahaha! Now you all get to be pissed off too!!!" Is it bad that I REALLY looked forward to this episode just for that reason? Maybe it's because when I read the book I didn't have anyone to share in my misery and now I do. Hmmm...


message 2: by Paul (last edited Jun 05, 2013 10:49AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul Yes, absolutely. Reading all the tweets, watching all the reaction videos, listening to various podcasts, and seeing everyone on the internet go bats#!t over the RW has provided me with nonstop entertainment for 3 days now. It's like Christmas in June. Thanks to Benioff, Weiss, GRRM, and Walder Frey for the gift that keeps on giving.


Salome Paul wrote: "Yes, absolutely. Reading all the tweets, watching all the reaction videos, listening to various podcasts, and seeing everyone on the internet go bats#!t over the RW has provided me with nonstop ent..."

LOL!!!! Glad I'm not the only one! :)


Salome oh wow, I didn't know people secretly recorded their friend's reactions!! That was awesome!!!!!


Sofia Kirk Yeah, I felt alone in my pain for so long after reading it... I was messing with people all week!


Matt Yes! It has been utterly delightful to witness others consternation. :evil laugh:


Chris  King I didn't even know the episode aired till I read this thread. I imediately watched some of the videos of peoples reactions and man were they great.


nettebuecherkiste Yes, that's just what I thought. I haven't even seen it on TV yet, I'm waiting for the DVD, but the reactions were really entertaining ;-)


Tasnuva Tamim Absolutely! I had my armor on, knowing what was to come, while others had to feel the suffering I had to endure on my own. A strange sort of satisfaction lol.


John  Hill Oh hell yeah! I've been telling my co-workers all this season "Wait for the wedding" and then I just grin when they ask me, "What wedding? What are you talking about?"


message 11: by Tony (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tony John wrote: "Oh hell yeah! I've been telling my co-workers all this season "Wait for the wedding" and then I just grin when they ask me, "What wedding? What are you talking about?""

I did the same thing. They all came in Monday and were so pissed. It was great!


message 12: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer I think the book scene was alot bloodier...there should have been more blood....


message 13: by K.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

K.D. Bissonette I HATED waiting for that episode until I could actually talk to hubby about it! but yes...sitting, waiting,knowing what was coming and that he would flip out was very exciting! He always asks qs and I always say nope not telling....unless it won't really spoil anything for him! But the show isn't exactly like the books anyway so telling would just irritate him anyways...


Kati I'm enjoying everyone's misery too! However my husband still hasn't seen it or read it (he's deployed) and he's the one I really want to see his reaction and then talk about it with.


message 15: by Matthew (last edited Jun 06, 2013 10:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matthew Tracy Jennifer wrote: "I think the book scene was alot bloodier...there should have been more blood...."

I know! I thought Catelyn ended up clawing her face up in the book, and the Freys killed her out of pity and disgust because of that.


Lineola So you all will appreciate this. I hadn't finished Storm of Swords when the HBO version aired the Red Wedding...so I was desperately trying to avoid spoilers. Yet I still heard about a "devastating red wedding" and I assumed it was going to be the wedding at the Red Keep and that it would be near the end of the book. So I was totally and utterly surprised by the scene anyway! lol. I'm almost happy now because I kept waiting for some favorite character to get killed off and now (some) of that pain is over. Now I'm joyous that I've finished the book and can say OMG! with the rest of you addicts that already knew....


Jennifer Lineola wrote: "Yet I still heard about a "devastating red wedding" and I assumed it was going to be the wedding at the Red Keep and that it would be near the end of the book. So I was totally and utterly surprised by the scene anyway!"

That is exactly what happened to me, Lineola!


Lexie Von Raven Can't wait to see people's reactions on Joffrey's wedding tough :) Next season should be fun for recording friends reactions manny times :D


message 19: by S (new)

S Well, they're going to have a somewhat different reaction to the 2nd wedding, aren't they?


message 20: by Annemarie (new) - added it

Annemarie Donahue OMG - YES! I couldn't get over the chatter of people being amazed at the Red Wedding. All i could think was "did you not read the books?" and then it dawned on me, "nope."


message 21: by Michael (new)

Michael Well, I wasn't a real Rob-fan, but I was kind of surprised to find yet another of the main characters dying on me... well, I think alot of viewers of the series felt the same way. I wonder what they'll think of the next wedding to come... or the bigger more dramatic one after that :)


Lexie Von Raven people will pop champagne and confetti on joff's wedding :)


message 23: by Annemarie (new) - added it

Annemarie Donahue Lexie Von Raven wrote: "people will pop champagne and confetti on joff's wedding :)"

I actually put down my nook and yelled "thank you!"


Lexie Von Raven I actually put down my nook and yelled "thank you!""

Hah yeah,I was reading late on the night,it was quiet and It took me twice to get what's going.I gazed at the page for few seconds in disbelief and then threw it on the bed and jumped and did a loud Yiiiiiiihaaaaaa :))
My cat jumped out of my bed like a bullet and hid somwhere scared from me :) She was not sleeping next to me that night or the night after. The next thought was OMG can't wait for my boyfriend to see this on the show,and how the hell do I keep this a secret for a year :P


message 25: by Annemarie (new) - added it

Annemarie Donahue Lexie Von Raven wrote: "I actually put down my nook and yelled "thank you!""

Hah yeah,I was reading late on the night,it was quiet and It took me twice to get what's going.I gazed at the page for few seconds in disbelief..."


HA! good point. I'm lucky, I'm the only one of my friends to still read fantasy, and my husband doesn't even watch the show. So the conversation went as thus:
Me - Yes! Thank you!
Mike - What?
Me - Jeoffrey's dead, he sucked.
Mike - oh this is the one with dragons.
Me - yeah.
Mike - dragons suck.


Nicole Too funny...my husband came into the living room to watch my reaction to the show. What a sadist! With that being said, I think we can all agree that Season 4 is going to be awesome!!!!! Tehehehehe!


message 27: by Gary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gary I have to admit: Yes. In fact, it's more than yes. I gloat like Mr. Burns murmuring "Excellent!" and wringing my hands like a villain. If I had a mustache that'd twirl, I'd spin it like a top.


Lexie Von Raven Annemarie wrote: "Lexie Von Raven wrote: "I actually put down my nook and yelled "thank you!""

Hah yeah,I was reading late on the night,it was quiet and It took me twice to get what's going.I gazed at the page for ..."


lol dragons suck? nice one lol


message 29: by Annemarie (new) - added it

Annemarie Donahue Lexie Von Raven wrote: "Annemarie wrote: "Lexie Von Raven wrote: "I actually put down my nook and yelled "thank you!""

Hah yeah,I was reading late on the night,it was quiet and It took me twice to get what's going.I gaze..."


He's just not into dragons. At least he loves Star Trek!


Lexie Von Raven Annemarie wrote: "Lexie Von Raven wrote: "Annemarie wrote: "Lexie Von Raven wrote: "I actually put down my nook and yelled "thank you!""

Hah yeah,I was reading late on the night,it was quiet and It took me twice to..."

Aliens suck :D


message 31: by Holly (new)

Holly Weddings suck. I hope the Red Wedding puts an end to them permanently.


Laura Herzlos My partner doesn't read the books, but he loves the show. He didn't get to see me cursing like a drunken sailor while reading the RW (but everyone on the subway train did). So, when we were watching that episode, I put my best poker face. Then they ate the bread and salt and my sweetie said "Well, at least they're safe now". I don't know how the hell I resisted.

I just watched him in silence as he paced around the room yelling "F*CK!!! BUT....... F**CK!!!! WH..... F***CK!!!!!!" to the dying sound of The Rains of Castamere.


Jeanine Celentano Annemarie wrote: "OMG - YES! I couldn't get over the chatter of people being amazed at the Red Wedding. All i could think was "did you not read the books?" and then it dawned on me, "nope.""

Did you read all the books?


message 34: by Jonathan (last edited Oct 10, 2014 06:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jonathan I had started to read the series as season 3 of Game of Thrones was beginning, and I think I was still conquering A Clash of Kings when it happened. Needless to say, I was shocked! I think I sat there, mouth agape, for about 5 minutes after the credits rolled.


Melissa I'm a reader first and foremost, but I have been pleased with the production of the series. When I first read the book, I had to put it down for a week because of what I thought had happened to Arya. These books will break your heart, over and over again. I've read most of them twice.


message 36: by Annemarie (new) - added it

Annemarie Donahue Jeanine wrote: "Annemarie wrote: "OMG - YES! I couldn't get over the chatter of people being amazed at the Red Wedding. All i could think was "did you not read the books?" and then it dawned on me, "nope.""

Did ..."


Yes.


Matthew Melissa wrote: "I'm a reader first and foremost, but I have been pleased with the production of the series. When I first read the book, I had to put it down for a week because of what I thought had happened to Ar..."

Yeah, I thought Arya was dead until her next POV chapter showed up.


message 38: by Laura (last edited Oct 14, 2014 06:16AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura Herzlos These were my partner and I, after I read that Arya cliffhanger and thought the same as Melissa and Matthew:

description


Matthew Laura wrote: "These were my partner and I, after I read that Arya cliffhanger and thought the same as Melissa and Matthew:

"


HA! Just after that Arya chapter, my mom asked me, "How is your book?" That picture is so fitting!


message 40: by S (new)

S Matthew wrote: "Laura wrote: "These were my partner and I, after I read that Arya cliffhanger and thought the same as Melissa and Matthew:

"

HA! Just after that Arya chapter, my mom asked me, "How is your book?"..."


As Much as I love the books, that Arya "Cliffhanger" was a shameless cheat.


back to top