Terminalcoffee discussion

Rise of the Magi-Forgotten Portals Series
General Fuckery > "Do it!"

Comments Showing 1-50 of 91 (91 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7065 comments Spam-O-Bam-O

message 2: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) I'm really curious who out there tells new authors that they should try to market this way. I'd like to know so I can kick that person repeatedly someplace really painful.

message 3: by Laurin (new)

Laurin (laurinlooloo) | 1867 comments Misha wrote: "I'm really curious who out there tells new authors that they should try to market this way. I'd like to know so I can kick that person repeatedly someplace really painful."

Yeah, it's not working for me either.

Euna (geargirl) | 14 comments yeah.... Im not the author... anyway, I will delete this post as it is not welcome.

message 5: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) I'd really like to know, Euna. Why do you think it's OK to come into a group in which you've never participated and tell people you don't know to give our money to support an author we've never heard of and whose work we know nothing about? I understand that you're probably trying to help a friend, but why did you think this was a good way to go about it? Why should your recommendation mean anything to us when we don't know who you are? What would you think if some random person showed up on the doorstep of your home and asked for a donation for something you've never heard of? Because that's basically what you've done, and I see that you and the author have posted this in several groups on Goodreads. This kind of tactic is NOT going to serve the author's career well, nor will it drive sales or donations. Good marketing is about building relationships, not trying to sell to strangers who are bombarded with ads and sales pitches everywhere they turn. When you post a random link in a group like this, you're just more noise. If you want to cut through the noise, spend the time to create relationships and then people will be invested in your (or your friend's) success. I wish someone out there would tell this to every new and self-published author out there.

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments Also, why just post the book? If you feel strongly enough about a book to promote it then telling people why it should be read would be a bit more beneficial to your cause.

Otherwise, you might as well title the thread: Made you click!

message 7: by Laurin (new)

Laurin (laurinlooloo) | 1867 comments Misha wrote: "I'd really like to know, Euna. Why do you think it's OK to come into a group in which you've never participated and tell people you don't know to give our money to support an author we've never hea..."

I agree completely. It's like when the Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses come to your door to talk to you about their god. Most people aren't very receptive to that kind of marketing.

message 8: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) I suspect I'm just talking to the wall at this point, though.

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments ::starts singing Bang your head::

message 10: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7065 comments I love our Misha.

message 11: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments sorry, i thought this thread was about something else *blush*

message 12: by Euna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Euna (geargirl) | 14 comments >>>What would you think if some random person showed up on the doorstep of your home and asked for a donation for something you've never heard of?

Oh, is there a cookie cutter response to this? Im pretty sure how you are expecting me to react here but in truth I have alot of people show up at my door as I live in a very popular and promonant neighborhood in San Diego.

Let me ask you this, why do you think that person is at your door? Do you assume that they are trying to scam you out of your money? Do you think them as greedy grubbers? Or do you think that maybe that person is late on their mortgage, has a criminal history, and this is the only job they can get right now? The job no one wants, selling people things they dont care about. Do you concider the human being or the situation more important? Do you value you convenience and rules for others over the humanity, the struggle? Do you seek to understand the human condition? Do you investigate what drives people? I was introduced to the novel series that I am promoting as a fan in the same way you were. But I looked at it very differently. I investigated. What did I do, did I bitch about it? NOPE. I checked it out. I am more curious than acusatory. Googled it. "Randy Blackwell" is plastered all over the freakin internet. Google returns two interviews on the first page. BAM - http://www.clashentertainment.com/car... Oh, look... he is no longer a stranger. I see a picture of him and one of his 4 daughters! Nice. How do I know he has four daughters? BAM! http://thepeverettphile.blogspot.com/... LOOK, Now I know even more about him. And there are like 5 youtube interviews too.

My point? You point the finger and yell SPAMMER! That wasnt my reaction. I, like any good writer, said "What motivates this person?" I did the research and responded to Mr. Blackwell. Then I offered to help him get the word out for free. HOWEVER, when you first started moaning I offered to delete the post and you should have left it at that. I was polite despite the fact that I care more for PEOPLE and HUMANITY than internet etiquette. But I see your priorities. Im sure loads of people will back you as this is an internet forum but when it boils down to it your reaction speaks volumes to who YOU are.

message 13: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i thought that link said pervertphile

message 14: by Laurin (new)

Laurin (laurinlooloo) | 1867 comments Euna wrote: ">>>What would you think if some random person showed up on the doorstep of your home and asked for a donation for something you've never heard of?

Oh, is there a cookie cutter response to this? I..."

I think that if you knew this group a little better, you would respond differently. There are tons of people in this group who would do anything for each other. Just look at some of the threads. The reason there is a problem with your post is that you didn't attempt to make yourself known in this group before asking us for money. This has nothing to do with internet etiquette or anything else. It has to do with the fact that people usually don't take kindly to people joining their social groups for the sole purpose of asking for money.

message 15: by Laurin (new)

Laurin (laurinlooloo) | 1867 comments Kevin wrote: "i thought that link said pervertphile"

Thanks for the laugh Kevin. :)

message 16: by Euna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Euna (geargirl) | 14 comments Laurin wrote: "I agree completely. It's like when the Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses come to your door to talk to you about their god. Most people aren't very receptive to that kind of marketing. "

Ive met alot of Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses that way. I dont keep them on the porch. I invite them in out of the cold or heat and serve them food and drinks. I tell them I respect that they are trying to save my soul and then I share my views as they share theirs. But hey Im weird.

message 17: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) Oh, that's precious. You care so much for people and humanity that you've made several invalid assumptions about me without bothering to get to know anything about me. I guess I'm not easy to know through a 30 second Google search, though. You actually have to interact with me to learn about me.

The bottom line is: Social media. You're doing it wrong.

message 18: by Euna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Euna (geargirl) | 14 comments Laurin: I'm sorry you find the rewards of the Kickstarter of no value. Kickstarter is not a donation or begging system. They actually make sure you are offering something of value as reward for backing. The thing is he has 20 days... I have a sense of urgency because I want him to be able to get his works to Dragon Con. I am emotionally invested in this for various reasons.

message 19: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) Kevin wrote: "i thought that link said pervertphile"

Ha!

message 20: by Barb (last edited Jun 05, 2013 11:05AM) (new)

Barb Spam is prohibited in this group. I won't delete this thread because a conversation has been struck.

message 21: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) OK. I'm done feeding the troll.

Hey, Kevin. Eaten any good ice cream lately?

message 22: by Euna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Euna (geargirl) | 14 comments Susan: good point I would be glad to do that... The Kickstarter has a video with the actress who will be playing one of the main parts and several others who have worked on the project or just read the book. I felt posting the link to the Kickstarter was good enough. But here is the review I posted:

Rise of the Magi had me hooked from the start. The first chapter is the kind that gets you so hooked it doesn't matter if the rest of the book is trash, you want to know what happens in the end. But the rest of the book was not trash. Indeed, it was magnificent. This novel is a real page turning piece of work and the action never stops. I have never seen someone spin a story combining so many different elements (fantasy, sci-fi, christianity, steampunk, romance, and action/adventure) and do it so masterfully. The Christian themes are not just thrown in there but incorporated and help the story to make sense. It's mostly symbolism and not preachy at all. I have always been a fan of fantasy and science fiction but my love is steampunk. This story takes the old world style of fantasy and adds science fiction in a way that is very steampunk. I read about 5 to 10 novels a year and so far, this is the best I have read this year.

Since deleting the original post and link had no real effect I am reposting the link: http://kck.st/18QUHcd

Otherwise, you might as well title the thread: Made you click!

message 23: by Euna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Euna (geargirl) | 14 comments Bye Misha

message 24: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments misha - YES. about every day. almond joy is my drug of choice.

message 25: by Laurin (new)

Laurin (laurinlooloo) | 1867 comments Euna: It has nothing to do with whether or not I find value in the system - frankly I know nothing about it. It has to do with the fact that I don't know you from the man on the moon. I don't give money to strangers. Maybe had I known you first, or the author, I would have considered it. But with the way you've been acting in this thread, there is absolutely no way in hell I'm giving you or anything you're associated with my money. Sorry, you've left a bad taste in my mouth.

message 26: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments Key lime pie ice cream is purdy good, too.

message 27: by Euna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Euna (geargirl) | 14 comments Barb, and thats why I deleted it but the person calling me a troll posted something inflammatory and provoking... There is a difference between trolling and spamming. I am sorry for spamming Barb.

message 28: by Laurin (new)

Laurin (laurinlooloo) | 1867 comments Susan wrote: "Key lime pie ice cream is purdy good, too."

I really enjoy Ben & Jerry's Half-Baked.

message 29: by Euna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Euna (geargirl) | 14 comments Really Laurin? How? I find that you have been the most civil here so I regret if I have caused you offense.

message 30: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) Kevin wrote: "misha - YES. about every day. almond joy is my drug of choice."

Oh, that sounds good. I'm really excited to be back in the land of Graeter's. I took my niece there a few weeks ago and had a scoop of plain chocolate that was to die for.

I also like United Dairy Farmers for a good, cheap fix. I suspect this is going to be Misha's Summer of Milkshakes.

message 31: by Laurin (new)

Laurin (laurinlooloo) | 1867 comments Misha wrote: "Kevin wrote: "misha - YES. about every day. almond joy is my drug of choice."

Oh, that sounds good. I'm really excited to be back in the land of Graeter's. I took my niece there a few weeks ago a..."

I've been dying to try ice cream from the Michigan State University dairy.

message 32: by Euna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Euna (geargirl) | 14 comments Im getting better responses on other groups so at this point I really do regret posting it here... doing my favorite author more damage than good. Ugh.

message 33: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) Washington State University in Pullman, where I lived and worked for a couple of years, has a university dairy. They produce a cheese called "Cougar Gold" that's pretty good, and also produce ice cream. Now I'm wondering if Ohio State has a dairy. I bet they do. I really should know that as a two-time Buckeye alum.

message 34: by Euna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Euna (geargirl) | 14 comments Ice cream is fattening, I think I will go work out.

message 37: by Laurin (new)

Laurin (laurinlooloo) | 1867 comments Misha wrote: "Washington State University in Pullman, where I lived and worked for a couple of years, has a university dairy. They produce a cheese called "Cougar Gold" that's pretty good, and also produce ice c..."

O-H!

message 38: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments I have never ate at Steak n Shake but their ads for their milkshakes makes me think that I should.

message 39: by Laurin (new)

Laurin (laurinlooloo) | 1867 comments Susan wrote: "I have never ate at Steak n Shake but their ads for their milkshakes makes me think that I should."

They are delicious.

message 40: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments Oh jeez. Just what I needed to hear. How can I resist the temptation, now?!

They have a veggie melt, too...

message 41: by Laurin (new)

Laurin (laurinlooloo) | 1867 comments Susan wrote: "Oh jeez. Just what I needed to hear. How can I resist the temptation, now?!

They have a veggie melt, too..."

I've only had one bad thing there, and it was a Kool-Aid milkshake. Too sweet. Everything else is AMAZING.

message 42: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments That's it. I am eating there this week!

They have salt and cracked pepper French fries.

message 43: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) Careful, Susan. Someone might call you fat if you eat like that. The horror!

message 44: by Laurin (new)

Laurin (laurinlooloo) | 1867 comments Susan wrote: "That's it. I am eating there this week!

They have salt and cracked pepper French fries."

Report back with your findings, lol.

message 45: by Laurin (new)

Laurin (laurinlooloo) | 1867 comments Misha wrote: "Careful, Susan. Someone might call you fat if you eat like that. The horror!"

Oh my gosh, someone enjoying life! How dare they!

message 46: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments Laurin wrote: "Susan wrote: "That's it. I am eating there this week!

They have salt and cracked pepper French fries."

Report back with your findings, lol."

Will do! In the name of science, I shall subject myself to this task.

Misha wrote: "Careful, Susan. Someone might call you fat if you eat like that. The horror!"

Yes, but my fat will be smiling!

message 47: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) Like this?

For those who don't get the reference, Doctor Who did an episode where everyone was on a miracle weight loss drug that made their fat literally leave their body and become little humanoid alien things called Adipose babies. But since humans actually need a certain amount of fat to survive, the process ended up killing people.

message 48: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments He is sooo cuuuutch! And waving! And looks like a marshmallow.

I want smore cookie bars now, too.

Damn you, cute little fat humanoid!

message 49: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments Laurin wrote: "Misha wrote: "Careful, Susan. Someone might call you fat if you eat like that. The horror!"

Oh my gosh, someone enjoying life! How dare they!"

Never fear. I enjoy some life. ;)

message 50: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments Euna - that ice cream cone graphic is killa. thanks. i want a tattoo of that. btw, we are a group of second chances. your post was not that big of a deal but it caught everyone off guard before we knew you. i'f you give us another chance we'll do the same

peace, love and ice cream ya'll

« previous 1