UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Agony Aunt > Short term, non contract wireless Internet help please!

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments So we're gonna be home soon and we'll be needing Internet.

For the last few years I've just been loading money onto my iPad sim and we've been making do with that.

There must be a better way, though.

Ideally, we'd like wifi that we could access with a laptop, my iPad and my phone.

Cheap,fast, unlimited and short term.

Is there anything like that in Wales!

message 2: by Andy (last edited Jun 05, 2013 07:35AM) (new)

Andy Elliott | 1524 comments On a short term basis I would buy a pay as you go SIM, plonk it in your iPad mini and activate your personal hotpot (fnarr fnarr). Virgin Media do a relatively cheap one that gives you unlimited data for around £10, although it's on EE's 3G network so it wont be especially fast. The only caveat to this would be Apple and how they sometimes lock features such as personal hotspots (i.e. Internet sharing) from consumers. So long as your mini isn't locked to a particular network you should be okay, although I'd get someone at Virgin or Apple to confirm it first.

http://store.virginmedia.com/virgin-m...

Most traditional broadband providers require you to be resident here, so I imagine the SIM route is your only viable course of action.

message 3: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments What's the yorkshire internet company? do they not do no contract internet?

message 4: by Andy (last edited Jun 05, 2013 07:51AM) (new)

Andy Elliott | 1524 comments Jud (Disney Diva) wrote: "What's the yorkshire internet company? do they not do no contract internet?"

Plusnet? I may be wrong but I think you need to have a BT line and permanent residence for that to work.

message 5: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments Fair enough, I couldn't even remember the name so you are most likely correct Andy

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments We do have sort of residence there...

Well, Dave does.

What I'd like is the same sort of of wifi as we have here in Azerbaijan. Only better.

Geoff (G. Robbins) (merda constat variat altitudo) (snibborg) | 9052 comments Have a look at the 3 mifi. Runs on a small device and you connect everything to it like a wifi. Uses a 3G sim.

Be careful of location though, as Three can be a bit flakey in places. There is a map on the site to put your postcode into.

People I know have been very pleased with it.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments That sounds like what we've got here.

Thanks Geoff.

I'll search properly.

message 9: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25094 comments I use giffgaff. Google it. Runs where there's O2 coverage.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Oh cheers Ignite. My sim is O2.

message 11: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments We use giffgaff on our phones, very good.

message 12: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Three's One Plan is very friendly towards overseas visitors staying for a month or so. All you can eat data with tethering (ie use your phone as a hotspot for the iPad). And it's a one month rolling contract, with no cancellation fee, so you just pay up front for the month and cancel when you're done. It's what I use.

Yes it can be patchy in places and there is the odd black spot. But that's true of every provider.

Andy is wrong: Apple do not lock out things like tethering from consumers. Availability is controlled by the service provider, not by Apple.

message 13: by Patti (baconater) (last edited Jun 06, 2013 02:04AM) (new)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Think ill go the pay as you go mifi route.

If I can find a cheap enough thingy.

If I bought an unlocked one, could I use the micro sim that I already have for my iPad in it?

How would I load the sim with data?

I'm a techno wizard, I am.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I'd need something like this, yeah?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-E5331-...

message 15: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Simple terms: No. If you can use the iPad sim in the UK, you're better off leaving it in the iPad, since the connection will be better. If you can't use the sim in the UK, then there's no point. That's assuming the sim will physically fit, which it probably won't (the mifi looks like it takes a full size sim).

The sim is what ties you to a contract/provider. When you buy your data or contract from 3, GiffGaff or whoever, they give you a sim, and that's the one you have to use: the data is tied to that sim.

You only need to buy a mifi type device if you can't get a UK sim for your phone/ipad that includes tethering (or "personal hotspot" - same thing). It doesn't do anything your phone & iPad can't already do with the right sim - they already have "mifi inside"

A sim that allows tethering will probably cost a few quid more, but you still save 44 quid. Think how many pawns that is...

message 16: by Andy (last edited Jun 06, 2013 05:31AM) (new)

Andy Elliott | 1524 comments Agree with Tim. The mifi gadgets are good but require a significant investment for what you are unlikely to be able to use outside of the UK. My monthly Virgin Media SIM allows me to use a Personal Hotspot on my wife's iPad, so I don't see why the PAYG one wouldn't either. I'm on a month by month contract that cost me £12, with unlimited calls, texts and data.

I'm not sure why you want to be so many pawns though, as Tim suggested. Is 16 not the maximum anyone would need?

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Hmmm.

If I can make a hotspot with my phone or iPad, that'd be good enough as we'd then be able to use the laptop.

I'm sure Geoff can tell me how to make a hotspot. Or Simon can show me when I see him.