The Not a Book Club Club discussion

Abaddon's Gate (The Expanse, #3)
This topic is about Abaddon's Gate
Expanse > AG: New Characters (spoiler for first few chapters)

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dara (last edited Jun 05, 2013 07:42AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dara (cmdrdara) I guess this is kinda spoilery. Not sure but I tagged it as such anyway.

What I love and hate about this series is getting new POV characters in each book (aside from Holden). It took some getting used to in Caliban's War with Bobbie, Avasarala, and Prax but I came to like them all in their own way (I also really liked Miller and missed his voice of reason). Now we have Bull, a Earther serving under Fred Johnson and Melba, an alias for Clarissa Mao, Julie Mao's sister (I think there's more but I haven't gotten to them yet). I find Melba to be the most interesting at this point.

Edit: The other new character is Anna, a priest on Europa. Not too intrigued by her yet but her position on god and what the Ring means in a religious aspect could be interesting.

Ulmer Ian (eean) | 1 comments Like I said elsewhere http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

...I don't grok Melba. Her motivations don't make any sense.

Adam Krogh (adamkrogh) I agree about Melba, she seems hell bent on her mission and is going to some pretty extreme lengths to accomplish it. Maybe this is just a common character trait in her family? Both Julie and her father were also pretty determined and headstrong but I am definitely doubting Melba's motivations too.

I've only read about 25% right now but I'm looking forward to reading more about Holden and his crew. And of course the Ring!

Dara (cmdrdara) I can understand Melba's motivations but maybe that's because I don't like Holden.

David Sven (gorro) | 316 comments I Like Bull. His solution to guys getting high at work is pretty hard core.

Dara (cmdrdara) David Sven wrote: "I Like Bull. His solution to guys getting high at work is pretty hard core."

I liked that too. It sent a strong message and asserted who was in charge. I like him.

I no longer like Melba. I understand wanting to sort of avenge your family name and whatnot but she's just reckless.

Dara (cmdrdara) I didn't think I'd like Anna and the more I read about her, the less I like her. She has a smug priest attitude that I don't enjoy reading and every time I get to an Anna chapter, I groan.

So far this has been a rather disappointing book.

Patrick Davis | 16 comments Bull is a cool character. His logic and severe solutions remind me of Miller at times, but there's definitely some differences.

Trying not to say too much here, but I bought Melba's motivations at the beginning of the book and less so later on. I'm glad Corey built in a weakness to the adrenalin implants she has, making her pretty much useless for awhile after she activates them.

Dara (cmdrdara) That's how I felt about Melba too.

message 10: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
Not sure if anyone is paying attention to this discussion anymore, but I agree that Melba makes no sense to me..unless there is something we don't know. I get her anger, but don't understand her justification.

I still don't understand why her father was involved with the Protogen molecule in the last book. Was he involved beforehand (hence the attempt to get Julie out in book 1) and couldn't get out without exposing himself as involved, or was he a willing participant in the continued research.

He certainly seems guilty, and unrepentant at the end trying to cut a deal to save his own ass, but do we really know what his actual involvement was at this point?

Is Melba naive or just blinded by love and devotion to her family? I get not liking Holden, but I pretty much stopped liking her shortly after finding out who she is. I was hoping she was going to be more like her sister and less like her father.

Bull on the other hand has been enjoyable, and Anna I'm pretty indifferent towards.

I figured there'd be new POV characters in this book, but I was hoping at least Avasarala would be back. I miss her. :(

message 11: by Dara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dara (cmdrdara) I really missed Avasarala too. She was my favorite from Caliban's War.

Patrick Davis | 16 comments I thought Melba's father had avoided getting in trouble over his involvement with the protomolecule in the first book, and just kept going with trying to make money off of it in the second, as his company had taken a hit when it's involvement was discovered. As was pointed out, it didn't seem like his family much cared for him, so yeah, I didn't get Melba's motivation. I think she would have been more believable if she was pissed because Her father made her wealthy and gave her status, Holden torpedoed her father and thus the life she had, and so she would destroy Holden for that reason. To me, that would have been more believable.

Likewise on Avasarala. I missed that female, Indian R. Lee Irmey.