Bookhungry discussion

Books and Reading > What do we read in...July!

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Allison (new)

Allison Virtue | 131 comments Mod
That's right, I'm getting this up before the 20th. Well before the twentieth. Because I am not letting my slacky-slackerness happen again, dangit.

So, we have our nice list of heritage books from the other months. Do feel free to select from that list.

BUT! This next month I want to try a two-book read that features BOTH a sci-fi/fantasy pick (which we all seem to enjoy reading) AND a book that isn't one of those. Maybe a mystery? Historical fiction? Non-fiction? There is so much bookstore to explore!

So, I'll compile a nice past list here a bit later, but here's what I want now:

NEW Sci-fi/Fantasy picks, if you've got 'em. And some different options! What do you love to read that ISN'T SF/F?

message 2: by Allison (new)

Alright, I am dying to read Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson. A new book from him, about chalk-based magic...arg, I can't explain it, but the blurb sounds cool. Check it out: The Rithmatist.

As for my other pics...hm. -muses- Okay, The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements is a rather awesome non-fiction history/science book that goes through and explains some of the rather sordid history of the elements. From poisoner's row to the rare and valuable tales of...aluminum? this book taught me a lot without me really paying attention to it. Sneaky book.

What else...let's throw a classic into contention. The Hound of the Baskervilles, a nice classic Sherlock tale by Arthur Conan Doyle.

Alright, I'm looking forward to what you all have to say!

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather (baronessheather) | 24 comments If folks are interested in a Mystery, I'll throw Some Buried Caesar by Rex Stout into the ring. It's one of the Nero Wolfe mysteries I mentioned before, and it's the first appearance of one of the major supporting characters.

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather (baronessheather) | 24 comments I'm always up for Holmes, too. Even better that those are public domain, so free to download on to most ereading devices/apps!

message 5: by Bon (new)

Bon (bonne) Dang, I already read The Disappearing Spoon, or else I'd vote for that! He has another, similar book, The Violinist's Thumb: And Other Lost Tales of Love, War, and Genius, as Written by Our Genetic Code, that I have marked as to-read that might be as interesting.

I've never read any of the Sherlock stories and, while it wouldn't be something I'd pick up on my own, I'm game for reading it. It's definitely something out of my comfort zone, but I'm trying to expand my reading horizons.

The Nero Wolfe book looks like a good bet too. I love humorous mysteries/fiction, such as almost all of Carl Hiaasen's books. I see that Some Buried Caesar is the 6th book in the series. Would we be missing out on character/overall plot development by starting so far into the series?

Finally, while I have like three Brandon Sanderson books listed to-read, I haven't actually read anything by him yet, so The Rithmatist would be a good start! I'm especially intrigued by these hints of an alternate-reality America.

Hmm... I may have just voted for all of the books...

message 6: by Nishtha (new)

Nishtha Jindal (nishthajindal) | 26 comments Well I'd like to read Hounds of the Baskervilles by Holmes. I have actually longed to read it since a long time but somehow I never read it, though I do have the book:P

message 7: by Allison (new)

Bon, I didn't know he had another book! Whether or not it's our pick, I will have to hunt it down because that sounds awesome.

...I just went to his website and he has a list of bizarre periodic tables. There's a table on an elephant! One so small it can be etched into your hair! Very cool.

Bon, I want to hear what you think of Sanderson, when you read him. What else is on your to-read list by him?

Nistha, thanks! I like Holmes a lot, but it's been a VERY long time since I've read Hound of the Baskervilles. I am glad to hear it would be interesting to you. :)

message 8: by Nishtha (new)

Nishtha Jindal (nishthajindal) | 26 comments Till now, all the books suggested in this discussion are:
1. The Rhithamist
2. The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements
3. Hounds of the Baskervilles
4. Some Buried Caesar
5. The Violinist's Thumb: And Other Lost Tales of Love, War, and Genius, as Written by Our Genetic Code

Now, I guess, that whoever puts up the poll, it will be a bit easier for him.

message 9: by Heather (new)

Heather (baronessheather) | 24 comments Nero Wolfe books are not ones that need to be read in order. The characters don't age - the world ages around them. I picked that particular book and not the first one because IMO, the first few books take a little while to get going, where Some Buried Caesar stands alone very well. It also marks the introduction of Lily Rowan, who is a major minor character (if that makes sense) throughout much of the series.

Also throwing The Ocean at the End of the Lane into the running. I know I'll be reading it right away and thought it was decent odds many of you might as well. I sure won't want to wait too long before cracking it open once it's delivered!

message 10: by Bon (new)

Bon (bonne) Allison wrote: "Bon, I didn't know he had another book! Whether or not it's our pick, I will have to hunt it down because that sounds awesome.

...I just went to his website and he has a list of bizarre periodi..."

The Sanderson books I have as to-read are
Elantris, Mistborn: The Final Empire, and The Way of Kings. He seems like a really good and well-respected author, especially considering he was tapped to finish the Wheel of Time series (can it ever be finished if it's a wheel...).

On interesting periodic tables: when I was in undergrad, I worked for my university's chemistry department, in a building shaped like the periodic table when viewed from above! Sadly (and sooo necessarily), they demolished part of the building, so only the ...alkaline metals (??) remain.

message 11: by Allison (new)

That is one cool Chemistry department. Very cool. Poor alkaline metals. All alone in the world now.

Sanderson caught me off guard. It took me a couple tries to get into Mistborn. Just didn't take right off. Fortunately, I had Nathaniel, who was VERY insistent that I would love the book, if I would just sit down and read it. I did, he was right.

message 12: by Nathaniel (new)

Nathaniel Steffel | 55 comments ...Me? Possibly. I mean, I'm actually having a hard time remembering the exact series of events and friends who lent ME the books and recommended them.

Pretty sure it was Jim's insistence, and him loaning the books to me, that allowed me to read them and recommend them so strongly...But I can't remember because somewhere in there you started reading them and loving them and recommending some of his titles to me, so...

Hooray good authors getting read, no matter how it happens! :-)

message 13: by Nishtha (last edited Jun 18, 2013 11:20PM) (new)

Nishtha Jindal (nishthajindal) | 26 comments Tomorrow's 20th! Allison had said that we will select the book by 20th! So I am putting up the poll for ALL the books recommended in this discussion. Please feel free to add any book you feel like.

message 14: by Allison (new)

Well, I actually meant I was very proud that I got the forum option up before the 20th, which was my record thus far. :) However, it is time to start thinking about the books for real.

So, again TWO book options, one SF/F, one...something else. Think, discuss, poll vote!

message 15: by Nishtha (new)

Nishtha Jindal (nishthajindal) | 26 comments Poll is up! Start voting!
And, please put the up a poll on Facebook also, cause I don't know how to do that.

message 16: by Nathaniel (new)

Nathaniel Steffel | 55 comments It's been added to Facebook!

Reminder, you can only vote for ONE option here on Goodreads, but as many as you want on Facebook.