Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Language & Translation Issues > Overzealous combining?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aprilleigh (last edited Jun 04, 2013 08:49PM) (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 37 comments I've noticed that someone has combined all the different editions of the Epic of Gilgamesh in such a way that editions that aren't even the same book (completely different translations) all show up as being editions of the same book. For example, ISBN 0-3745-2383-5 which is a unique verse translation by David Ferry and ISBN 0-3939-7516-9 which is an entirely different translation in prose by Benjamin R. Foster have been combined. Since these are not alternate editions of the same book, it was inappropriate for them to be combined, and there are other translations that have also been combined with these.

My problem is I'm not quite sure how to go about correcting the problem. I don't mind putting in the effort, but I'm a new librarian and not as up on the how-to's yet. Point me in the right direction and I'll get started, or tell me you've decided to tackle it yourself now that I've brought it to someone's attention - it's all the same to me.

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41003 comments Mod
That is correct by Goodreads guidelines. Different translations ARE all considered to be editions of the same book.

message 3: by Aprilleigh (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 37 comments Particularly in the case of this book, they really aren't the same. For starters, the Ferry edition isn't a true translation, but a reworking of the story with blanks filled in using artistic license.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Every combine page includes the following instructions:
do combine:
Editions/translations of the book in other languages. Even though many translations differ significantly, we've made the decision to combine them all, and have people note the differences in their reviews.

message 5: by Aprilleigh (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 37 comments Fair enough.

message 6: by Renee (new)

Renee (renee_bookboyfriends) I've noticed some people wanting to combine editions that are different languages, is this correct procedure for Librarians? Aren't they all meant to be just different editions? Is there a time when this would not apply?
Thanks, Renee.

message 7: by Aprilleigh (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 37 comments Based on what I was just told, they would be the correct procedure. Not sure about exceptions, but I'm guessing rivka would know. :)

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Renée wrote: "I've noticed some people wanting to combine editions that are different languages, is this correct procedure for Librarians? Aren't they all meant to be just different editions?"

Combining means linking different editions. I think you may be asking about the difference between combining and merging?

message 9: by Aprilleigh (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 37 comments See, it's finer points like this that are the reason why I ask before doing anything more than add details for books I have on hand (or that I know extremely well - as in I personally know the authors).

message 10: by Helmut (new)

Helmut (schlimmerdurst) | 43 comments Aprilleigh wrote: "Particularly in the case of this book, they really aren't the same. For starters, the Ferry edition isn't a true translation, but a reworking of the story with blanks filled in using artistic license."

I'm not really happy if such editions are being combined. A retelling of a story is something different from a translation - sometimes, retellings are heavily abridged or changed. Some retellings are so condensed (as in the German "translation" of "Outlaws of the Marsh"), that only a quarter of the original text remains. Such adaptions can hardly be called the same book.

message 11: by Renee (new)

Renee (renee_bookboyfriends) rivka wrote: "Renée wrote: "I've noticed some people wanting to combine editions that are different languages, is this correct procedure for Librarians? Aren't they all meant to be just different editions?"

Com..."

thanks for clarifying, I'm a new librarian too.