The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave, #1) The 5th Wave discussion

Would you classify this book as Dystopian?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Akiko Barreras HI! I'm reading this book right now and I was just wondering if you would classify this book as a dystopian novel?

Hannah I don't think so. Dystopians are usually set in the future where the government has totally changed and become oppressive (doing things like making kids fight to the death or deciding love is a disease).

It's an alien invasion book, the enemy isn't the government that's ruling the people in the story. So, no. I wouldn't consider it dystopian.

Josey I think it would be, because the definition of dystopia is a society characterized by human misery, as squalor, oppression, disease, and overcrowding. So, yes.

Kylie No, not dystopian, it is apocalyptic.

Tina J No.
I would agree with Kylie.....definitely more of an apocalyptic book.

To me, dystopian books represents a government trying to control society, not an alien invasion where most of the human race gets wiped out.

Jordyn No, I would just classify it as sci-fi.

Shélah Dystopian is meant to signify a world that should be a utopia (and usually is for some people), but is in fact the opposite of a utopia for the majority of the characters. As Tina J says, dystopia usually involves some sort of government control (totalitarian state). So no. This is actually apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic sci-fi.

Ashley It's post-apocalyptic I think.

Maddie Tiare I would call it post-apocalyptic and science fiction, because dystopian is usually 1. In the future and 2. About government/totalitarian power, while this is about alien power.

Kylie I wouldn't call it post-apocalyptic, as the apocalypse event is ongoing at the time the book is set. Post -apoc usually implies the event has happened, or if it is in a book, is at the beginning (The Stand, for example)

Arleena A dystopian novel features a society that claims to be "perfect", or a utopia (obviously most dystopian novels take a good long . . . wiz, on this claim). There is no perfect human society in this novel. You could argue however that the aliens in this book may have come with the intention of creating a utopia or might live in one on their mothership/home planet, but the characters in the book do not live in this society (or any established society for that matter), so it's really not the main feature in the novel nor the driving premise so we can't really describe it as "dystopian". I would definitely agree with Kylie and describe it as science fiction/apocalyptic.

message 12: by Abby (last edited Aug 10, 2013 12:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abby No it's post-apocalyptic and sci-fi

notyourfriend Abby wrote: "No it's post-apocalyptic and sci-fi"

I agree

message 14: by Kaelyn (new) - added it

Kaelyn Nope

Clive Hendelson Nay.

Emily Parker It may not be dystopian exactly, but it definitely does have dystopian elements. I don't think you can 100% say that it is or isn't. A common misconception is that dystopia mean that there needs to be an overbearing government, but there are actually various kinds of dystopia that do not fit this description at all.