The Sword and Laser discussion

2013 Reads > AO: A Whiteboard Reflection

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by P. Aaron (new)

P. Aaron Potter (paaronpotter) | 585 comments http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul_ix2...

Tldw: This is the first book I've rated a "5" in a long while.

message 2: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6668 comments Mod
Good stuff. I definitely identified with parts of the story, though not all of it. My mom was a librarian, not an evil witch for instance.

I think not getting all the references inevitably lessens the book for me though.

message 3: by Leesa (new)

Leesa (leesalogic) | 625 comments Excellent reflection. I find myself saying, "I wondered the same thing too!" And it's about the obscure stuff, like not knowing ordnance was a word but instead a misspelling, or becoming so indignant at a blurb on a book comparing it to some other Grand Masterpiece.

message 4: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments I think I'm going to cry.

Mel (booksandsundry) (booksandsundry) | 137 comments Ahhh Aaron, as always you say everything so well.

message 6: by Camilla (new)

Camilla (repressedpauper) This was a lovely review. Well done.

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1840 comments Bless you, Aaron, I couldn't agree more! As Leanne says, it's a lovely review. I'm actually rather touched.

message 8: by D. H. (new)

D. H. | 100 comments Thanks Aaron. I agree with everyone else. Nice review.

message 9: by Nick (new)

Nick (cykoduck) | 26 comments well done sir!

message 10: by Shaina (new)

Shaina (shainaeg) | 165 comments Rob wrote: "My mom was a librarian, not an evil witch for instance."

Possibly my favorite comment ever!

And a lovely whiteboard, as usual.

message 11: by Pamela (new)

Pamela D (funisreading) | 42 comments Great whiteboard! I am really happy that you are continuing to do these. :)

message 12: by Katina (new)

Katina French (thatdarnkat) | 48 comments I think you did a great job of summing up both the merits of the book, and why its value and effect is DEEPLY subjective, without spoilage.

WELL DONE, SIR!

message 13: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 701 comments I got quoted in a Whiteboard Review!

I'm all sorts of famous now!

message 14: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4102 comments I'm only just starting the book (about 1/4 in) but I thought this was a beautiful whiteboard that puts into words what I've been feeling as I've been listening.

message 15: by Robert of Dale (new)

Robert of Dale (r_dale) | 185 comments Great way to set the tone for this reading.

message 16: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 1582 comments Great whiteboard Aaron.

message 17: by P. Aaron (new)

P. Aaron Potter (paaronpotter) | 585 comments Thanks for the kind comments, all. :) I meant it about the comparison to Ready Player One. Like that book, this one may only really 'work' for those who shared its protagonist's experiences, but for that audience, I think it packs a great deal into an elegant package.

message 18: by Casey (last edited Jun 09, 2013 10:27PM) (new)

Casey | 654 comments David Sven wrote: "Great whiteboard Aaron."

Seconded!

Edited to add: yes I know it's technically not "seconding" the sentiments of greatness but you all knew what I meant.

message 19: by Robert of Dale (new)

Robert of Dale (r_dale) | 185 comments I was just commenting to my wife last night that this particular video works very well as a "book trailer." Far more effective than any of the handful of official book trailers that I've seen, especially since it does a better job than the jacket summary in setting my expectations at an appropriate level.