Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Broken Amazon Link

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) | 259 comments I was going through my books to sort onto new shelves, and I wanted to check the Amazon page for Annabel to see how much it was, but the Amazon link on the book's page is broken. I searched it manually on Amazon and found the correct page, but even though I'm a librarian, I can't find a place on the book's edit page to fix the Amazon link that currently doesn't work with the link for the proper page.

Help? D:

This is the working Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Annabel-ebook/d...

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 2445 comments The Kindle edition Amazon link worked fine for me:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17...

Is it possible you were on the wrong edition?

Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish) (ostensiblya) | 2 comments Thalia wrote: "I was going through my books to sort onto new shelves, and I wanted to check the Amazon page for Annabel to see how much it was, but the Amazon link on the book's page is broken. I searched it manu..."

I've come across the same problem numerous times.

message 4: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) | 259 comments Amanda, I was on the regular ebook page. Do all Amazon links for "ebook" listings just not work? Why would there be a link set up at all? There's a specific URL it's set to go to right now--I guess it just doesn't make much sense to me for it to have a link that's wrong, rather than not have a link at all.

message 5: by Deon (last edited Jun 04, 2013 05:40PM) (new)

Deon (deonva) | 3379 comments Links on each book's page are not customizable on a per-book basis. Each user customizes which links they see for all books.

Amazon is on yours, but might not be for another user.

yes, you have to be on paperback or kindle in order to get the amazon link to work.

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 2445 comments Thalia wrote: "Amanda, I was on the regular ebook page. Do all Amazon links for "ebook" listings just not work? Why would there be a link set up at all? There's a specific URL it's set to go to right now--I guess..."

Other than the far left link (which is a sponsored link), the links are customizable by user not book.

The Amazon link will work for Kindle editions with an ASIN, Print books that they have, and records without an ASIN or ISBN (does a title search, so it might return lots of results). Supposedly it will work with some ebook ISBNs, but from what I've seen the ISBN 10 returns a bad result.

Amazon isn't the only link that returns bad results even if the book is actually there. Kobo and B&N often have their own unique numbers, and searches without those numbers can give error messages. Even country can make a difference on some of the books.

message 7: by Jozef (new)

Jozef Nakielski (jozef_nakielski) | 100 comments it looks like its searching on Amazon rather than going to a specific link. If the link is broken on Amazons or has changed but not been updated on the search it wont work.

message 8: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) | 259 comments Ahhh, I didn't know that it was customizable by user. Thanks for that. (: