Think Galactic discussion

Suggestions for Jul - Dec books?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Lodder (jlodder) | 158 comments It's coming up on time to pick books for Jul - Dec. If you have any suggestions, fell free to post them here, and I will take them to the June reading group.

message 2: by Elsiekate (new)

Elsiekate what are the rules for books that qualify?

message 3: by John (new)

John Lodder (jlodder) | 158 comments Just copying and pasting from the FAQ: "As for content or other criteria, we always seek to have as many women and persons of color as we can, as they have been traditionally under-represented in SF. We look to mix up themes and topics, but are always interested in stories that deal with race, class, gender, and sexuality. Specific topics of interest, like the environment, population, war, etc. also factor into the mix."

message 4: by Gremlin (last edited Jun 06, 2013 06:17AM) (new)

Gremlin | 50 comments I'll also add that we try to put at least one full year of distance in place before we repeat an author. So, if we read someone in 2012 (or this year) we will try to wait until next year to read them again.

That being said, all rules are subject to change if an argument is compelling enough :P

(To see previous books from previous years, feel free to see our website: www.thinkgalactic.org)

message 5: by Elsiekate (new)

Elsiekate i'd say martha wells' _the cloud roads_--it's fantasy and has no humans but i think it maps to dealing in a good way with race, class, gender, and sexuality.

if you schedule it in a month where i can come, i'll even come to book group!