Sphere Sphere question

Books set in the present that feature SF/F elements

wasn't Forbidden Planet a re work of Shakespeare's The Tempest?

The Dark Fields (filmed as Limitless) is quite contemporary in setting

Only Forward is in a moved on world but still quite accessable

I love most all Michael Chrichton's books, and Sphere was my fave. I don't know if they made a movie of it, but there was a movie with a similar plot. However, I think CHrichton might have used the plot ideas from a 50's sci-fi movie called The Forbidden Planet (remember Robbie the Robot?) Check it out-- the part about mind-control was so similar to the mind control in Sphere.
Anybody else feel that way?

A lot of Stephen King books fall under this topic though he is known for his horror stories he is a very good all-round writer (possibly the best among popular mainstream writers) who crafts great plots with detailed characters.I would like to recommend two of his books The Dead Zone & Firestarter both are set in the modern world but contain sci-fi elements.Hope you will enjoy them.

Rae Ann Norell On the topic of Stephen King, I just finished his book "On Writing"-- a bit of his memoir, and thoughts on how to write, and how not to write/ fiction ...more
Feb 10, 2014 06:07AM

There was a Sphere movie starring Queen Latifah, Dustin Hoffman, Sam Jackson and Sharon Stone. Although the ending was different, it was a wonderful adaptation of the book.