Y.A readers everywhere* discussion

Other Challenges > A-Z Challenge

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jackie - Fire & Ice Book Reviews (jackiefireicebookreviews) Hi everyone, this challenge will run through out the remainder of the year. Please make sure you leave a review, or your thoughts on the book, on this thread, so we will know you read the book.

Abouth Challenge:
You get to choose what theme you would like to use for your challenge. *Please note you can only choose one theme.* If you choose theme 3, you can choose a theme for each book Example A= animals, B= Blue, C= children, D= demons, E= elephants, etc.

Theme Options:
1. Author Names: Authors first name or last name must start with whatever letter you are on in the alphabet.
Example: A-Hailey Abbott In this case I am using a last name (Abbott)
2. Book Title: The book title must start with whatever letter you are on in the alphabet.
Example: A-Across the Universe In this case I used the first word in the title (Across)
2. Themes: With this one, you get to have a little fun. For each letter you can choose a different theme.
Example: A-Angels
City of Fallen Angels B-Bees The Secret Life of Bees
So with this theme, whatever theme you choose, like angels, bees, children, demons etc. It can be on the cover, in the title, or the main focus of the book. as long as it sticks to the guide lines.

Rules & Guide lines:
So each member will read a total of 26 books. If you would like to challenge yourself more, you can read 2 books for each letter. All Author names, book titles, and themes, must follow the alphabet. When you read a book, if you write a review, please leave a link on the thread a signed for this challenge, so we will know if you read the book. If you do not write a review, please just leave your thoughts on the book, on the Thread a signed for this challenge, so we will know you read the book . This challenge ends December 31, 2013. If you have any questions, please ask a moderator. I will be the challenge leader.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Haha! Glad I was reading an angel book today. Conversations in the abyss by Michael Brookes. Started and finished today. Great book
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 3: by María (new)

María | 172 comments Mod
I love the Idea. I have to think what I will chose :)

message 5: by María (new)

María | 172 comments Mod
Can I make it in Spanish?

Jackie - Fire & Ice Book Reviews (jackiefireicebookreviews) can you do both?

message 7: by María (new)

María | 172 comments Mod
I don't Know. Maybe :)

Jackie - Fire & Ice Book Reviews (jackiefireicebookreviews) If you can, it would be awesome!

message 9: by María (new)

María | 172 comments Mod
So I chose an author name for my English challenge and a Book Theme for my Spanish Challenge :)

Jackie - Fire & Ice Book Reviews (jackiefireicebookreviews) Or you can just do the Spanish one, and post the books here in English?

message 11: by María (new)

María | 172 comments Mod
This is my first book in the A-Z Challenge: Willow. The author is Amy Richie. And is a great story about a girl who became the lider of a werewolves pack. I go to sleep thinking about being with seven male werewolves...

Jackie - Fire & Ice Book Reviews (jackiefireicebookreviews) Okay, I have chosen team three, I will be back to put up the book I have read for *A *in a a while.

Jackie - Fire & Ice Book Reviews (jackiefireicebookreviews) Ugggjjjyyyyzzzzzzz!!!!!!!

I hate this stupid phone, I mean THEME

message 14: by María (new)

María | 172 comments Mod
I have a question about theme 3: The theme you choose for each letter must be a word in the title like in the example?

Jackie - Fire & Ice Book Reviews (jackiefireicebookreviews) No, it can be in the title, the main story of the book, or on the cover.

message 16: by Jess, Creator of Y.A readers everywhere* (new)

Jess | 208 comments Mod
Do you have to go in alphabetical order??

Jackie - Fire & Ice Book Reviews (jackiefireicebookreviews) That would be nice, but you don't really have to.

message 18: by María (new)

María | 172 comments Mod
So,
A- Amy Richie, Willow
B-Beth Fantaskey, Jekel Loves Hyde
C- Who Knows...

message 19: by María (last edited Jun 17, 2013 12:13PM) (new)

María | 172 comments Mod
Jekel loves Hyde is a modern version of The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (maybe we call this book a sequel of the clasic from Robert Louis Stevenson) with a clever twist and touch of dark romance. Is was nice, not extraordinary but good for a rainy Sunday afternoon...

message 20: by María (new)

María | 172 comments Mod
A- Amy Richie, Willow
B- Beth Fantaskey, Jekel Loves Hyde
C- Casandra Clare, What Really Happened in Peru

Probably, my D will be Shrinking Violet by Danielle Joseph

Jackie - Fire & Ice Book Reviews (jackiefireicebookreviews) Good job! You are reading fast :-)

message 23: by María (new)

María | 172 comments Mod
About What Really Happened In Peru: Is a short book that tell us the adventures of three magicians and try to explain (whit no success) why Marcus Bane was ¿kicked off? from this country. It's not a memorable book.

I read Shrinking Violet because a saw Radio Rebel, the Disnay Channel Movie but they are very diferent and I like the film very much so I have mixed feelings about the book. However, Shrinking Violet is depper than the movie and make me want to read the autobiography of Hellen Keller and see if I found as inspirer as Tessa does.

message 24: by María (new)

María | 172 comments Mod
I need an author who with an F name...
Any sugestions?

Jackie - Fire & Ice Book Reviews (jackiefireicebookreviews) hmmm...i will think about that.

message 26: by María (new)

María | 172 comments Mod
I have an italian writer: Federico Moccia. My other optios would be the argertinian author Florencia Bonelli: But I want to read an english author so...

message 27: by Jackie - Fire & Ice Book Reviews (last edited Jul 01, 2013 11:38AM) (new)

Jackie - Fire & Ice Book Reviews (jackiefireicebookreviews) So, I am doing theme 3. So here are the books I have read so far!

A- Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) by Cassandra Clare
B- Beautiful Chaos (Caster Chronicles, #3) by Kami Garcia
C- Captive of Magic by Racquel Kechagias
D- The Truth about Dandelions by Hayley Linfield
E-
F- The Fire Within (The Fire of The Soul, #1) by Racquel Kechagias
G-
H-
I-
J-
K-
L-
M-
N-
O-
P-
Q-
R-
S-
T-
U-
V-
W-
X-
Y-
Z-
I will make a shelf for all of the books I read, so the reviews will be found easily!

message 28: by María (new)

María | 172 comments Mod
So I finaly read Nacida bajo el signo del toro by Florencia Bonelli. She usually writes Romance or Historical Romance and this is her first YA novel. It's good but it doesn't feel like a YA novel, the characters don't seem to have 16 years old to me. Many things feel so fake!
But is a nice story about a girl who discovers in her astrological sign how she is. The title can be traslated like Born under the Bull's sign because she is born in May and her astrological sign is Taurus.

message 29: by María (last edited Jul 03, 2013 03:44AM) (new)

María | 172 comments Mod
My G is a play I'm reading with my students: La Malasangre by Griselda Gambaro. It's a love story dated in 1840 that shows in the violence of the father a symbol of the political whether in Argentina in 1980. I don't know if you can understand me because is hard to explain how this play can ser all those references to our recent History.
I have never read it before so...

Jackie - Fire & Ice Book Reviews (jackiefireicebookreviews) You're doing a really good job! :-)