Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Correction: wrong Robert Newman

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason Mills (jmills) | 5 comments This is the author page for Robert Newman:

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

It conflates two writers of the same name. Elsewhere (http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...) there is a separate entry for Rob Newman, comedian, formerly of the duo Newman & Baddiel, whose books are presently listed against the other Newman. Comedian Newman wrote: Dependence Day; Manners; The Fountain at the Centre of the World; and just recently The Trade Secret. This Newman is also credited as 'Robert' these days, rather than Rob. (I doubt if he had anything to do with Teach Yourself Access 97, also listed against his name.)

message 2: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5017 comments Yuck. If Rob(1) is also writing as Robert now, he will need two records (i.e. a Robert(1) and Robert(2) for the other Robert Newman). This is assuming Robert(2) and Rob(2) are both forms which have been used in publications. Will look into this when I get home if no one else has caught it before :)

message 3: by Antonomasia (last edited Jun 04, 2013 10:46AM) (new)

Antonomasia | 508 comments Rob Newman has only published as Robert Newman. I was a big fan in the 90's and got the first edition of Dependence Day - he was Robert Newman on there & has been since. But most fans do still refer to him as Rob Newman.

That Weekending with Maggie could technically be an exception - but it's a recording of a radio sketch show (on which he probably was credited as Rob Newman) - not a version of a print book/ play etc so it's a Not A Book item.

I will start this disambiguating etc but I daresay there are rather a lot of Robert Newmans who've written the odd book or two, so may not be finished by the time Emy next logs on.

message 4: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5017 comments Quickie reply - radio plays seem to be categorised as NAB if they were not released for sale (i.e. recording released on the internet of radio broadcasts are not official releases therefore are not books as I understand it).

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41062 comments Mod
In general, radio plays are NAB, whether released for sale or not. Straight audiobooks are fine, so the line can be blurry.

message 6: by Jason (new)

Jason Mills (jmills) | 5 comments Crikey! What have I started? :)

message 7: by Antonomasia (new)

Antonomasia | 508 comments Don't worry - it's always a bit like this when sorting out authors with common names :)

Rob(ert) Newman the comedian's profile is pretty much sorted now - just doesn't have a picture as no non-copyright ones were easily findable.

message 8: by Jason (new)

Jason Mills (jmills) | 5 comments I could send you one I took at a gig. It's grainy and it looks like he has zombie eyes, but on the plus side(?) it includes a banjo. :)

message 9: by Antonomasia (new)

Antonomasia | 508 comments Not quite sure how that would work (I expect the Goodreads email is very busy) - maybe Rivka could advise.

TBH it surprises me that, being an anti-corporate kinda guy, he doesn't have one or two pics etc labelled as Creative Commons on his website.

Anyway, you've reminded me about his new book, which was welcome. :)

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I'd advise adding it to one's other photos, same as we do for covers. It can get snagged by a librarian from there.

message 11: by Jason (new)

Jason Mills (jmills) | 5 comments Okey-doke, added photo here:

http://www.goodreads.com/photo/user/2...

You can take it or leave it. :)

message 12: by Antonomasia (new)

Antonomasia | 508 comments Hah, it's not terribly flattering (esp as he is often rather photogenic)... gig photos so rarely are though ... but at least the page is a bit more complete.

Added - and thanks!

message 13: by Jason (new)

Jason Mills (jmills) | 5 comments I say it here, it comes out there! Marvellously efficient. :)

Can I remove the photo from my profile without affecting the author page? Wouldn't want to give my casual fans the impression that I'm a semi-famous behatted banjoist...

message 14: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Jason wrote: "Can I remove the photo from my profile without affecting the author page?"

Absolutely.