BYU-Adolescent Literature 420 discussion

Prom
This topic is about Prom
Prom

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy (a-con) | 10 comments LAURIE HALSE ANDERSON CATEGORY

Don't let Prom's teal and pink cover fool you. This book may revolve around Ashley Hannigan's wild ride to the prom, but it deals with issues and themes well beyond the typical prom novel. Ashley's life is anything but normal: a best friend named Nat who's grandma will only speak in her native Russian and likes to go swimming in other churches' baptisteries, a drop-out boyfriend named TJ who is nothing but trouble, three crazy younger brothers, and a strong desire to avoid her mysterious library fines and detentions. Ashley gets dragged into helping the prom committee when the faculty advisor gets caught stealing all of their money. They must now create a magical prom out of nothing. This read was insightful, entertaining, and quick. I was impressed with the depth of Ashley's character, her family, and her friends. Anderson maintains her realistic voice and tone while still exploring the "magic" that surrounds an urban Philadelphia prom. Due to some language and mature themes, I would recommend this book for juniors or seniors in high school.

message 2: by Carly (new)

Carly Brown | 11 comments Prom By Laurie Halse Anderson
Rating: *
Bookshelves: ENGL 420

LAURIE HALSE ANDERSON CATEGORY
Ashley has a crazy teenager life with a best friend and a boyfriend, and younger siblings and a pregnant mom. She's forced into helping out with prom and the whole book is figuring out how to get things done, prioritize really, and cope with her real teenage problems. It's a coming of age novel, but more a coming into yourself novel.
The odd chapter lengths make it have much more of a journal feel and keep it easy and quick to read. I just really didn't enjoy it. I'm a little more than tired of petty teenage problems. I'm not sure whether to be disgusted or impressed that Anderson can stretch a whole book out of one prom. I don't think I'll recommend it but, maybe Freshman age girls will get a kick out of it. I did like the meta-fiction awareness at the end and I can tell she's a talented writer, great voice. Probably should have read one of her other books.