Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

130 views
Questions > Why can't I become a librarian?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andria (new)

Andria (author_alarge) | 10 comments I'm an author on Goodreads and I have tried multiple times to become a librarian. I have even sent an email to try and find out why no one has even gotten back to me about it. It just irritates the crap out of me that I can't change certain things on my own damn books. I shouldn't need librarian status to change things on my OWN books. What can I do to get someone to respond?


message 2: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (myfictionnook) | 265 comments This isn't really a librarian question as much as it is a feedback question. Have you posted your question in that group?


message 3: by Camilla (new)

Camilla Hansen (malazanshadowdancer) | 20 comments If you have your author profile on Goodreads with the books linked to that specific profile, you SHOULD be able to edit your own books.


message 4: by Andria (new)

Andria (author_alarge) | 10 comments I do have an author profile that is linked to my books. It just seems like there are certain things that I can't do. Like change the cover. I understand now that I have to make a new edition. But the first cover I ever put up, I had take down because I do not own the rights to the picture, and someone just put it back up! It was taken down for a reason and I feel like someone should at least contact me before going and just changing things on MY books.


message 5: by Deon (new)

Deon (deonva) | 3379 comments You need to contact support about the cover.
If there are legal reasons for covers not to be there then GR staff will put a note on the book once they are satisfied to not add the cover.


message 6: by Andria (new)

Andria (author_alarge) | 10 comments Deon wrote: "You need to contact support about the cover.
If there are legal reasons for covers not to be there then GR staff will put a note on the book once they are satisfied to not add the cover."


Can't the person who put it back up just remove it?


message 7: by Andria (new)

Andria (author_alarge) | 10 comments Andria wrote: "Deon wrote: "You need to contact support about the cover.
If there are legal reasons for covers not to be there then GR staff will put a note on the book once they are satisfied to not add the cove..."


The picture had been deleted for months, and now all of a sudden, this one person decided that it should be put back up? They should be able to remove it, shouldn't they?


message 8: by Sandi (new)

Sandi Andria wrote: "I feel like someone should at least contact me before going and just changing things on MY books. "

But you're not just changing YOUR books, you're changing what the book entry looks like for every user who shelved the book. Users like to add the cover version of the book they own, so a deleted image is bound to pop up again at some point, if it ever was published that way.

If there are legal reasons you need to contact support, librarians can't help you there. support at goodreads dot com.

You probably won't get librarian status if you want it for deleting covers. Authors used to be able to do this, but that power got taken away because too many authors abused it.


message 9: by Andria (new)

Andria (author_alarge) | 10 comments Sandi wrote: "Andria wrote: "I feel like someone should at least contact me before going and just changing things on MY books. "

But you're not just changing YOUR books, you're changing what the book entry look..."


I understand. I don't want to keep deleting covers. I didn't know that I had to make a new edition until yesterday, which I did. But that one picture that I had up, I had actually been able to delete, which I did because I didn't own it. And now all of a sudden, it was put back up by a librarian. And she's telling me that I have to go through support to get it removed. I'm not trying to be a bitch, but it was removed until she put it back up.

I will contact support to have it removed, I'm just aggravated that it was suddenly put back up in the first place.


message 10: by Becky (last edited Jun 04, 2013 07:18AM) (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Goodreads policy is that if a book was published with a cover, then that cover should remain on that edition in the database, and subsequent covers are added as alternate cover editions.

The librarian didn't add your cover back to annoy you, they did it because it's the correct policy.

If it needs to be removed for legal reasons, then you need to let Goodreads know that by contacting support and I'm sure they'll remove it. Otherwise, it will continue to be added back per policy.


MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 535 comments Andria wrote: "But that one picture that I had up, I had actually been able to delete, which I did because I didn't own it. And now all of a sudden, it was put back up by a librarian. And she's telling me that I have to go through support to get it removed. I'm not trying to be a bitch, but it was removed until she put it back up."


Becky wrote: "Goodreads policy is that if a book was published with a cover, then that cover should remain on that edition in the database, and subsequent covers are added as alternate cover editions.

The librarian didn't add your cover back to annoy you, they did it because it's the correct policy.

If it needs to be removed for legal reasons, then you need to let Goodreads know that by contacting support and I'm sure they'll remove it. Otherwise, it will continue to be added back per policy. "


Becky is right.

If you did NOT leave a librarian note stating WHY the pic was deleted then a librarian will eventually update. And since all books that are published with covers are cataloged here with covers - it will take Support to get it removed.


message 12: by Andria (new)

Andria (author_alarge) | 10 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "Andria wrote: "But that one picture that I had up, I had actually been able to delete, which I did because I didn't own it. And now all of a sudden, it was put back up by a librarian. And she's tel..."

I didn't know I should have left a note. I'm still learning how things work around here. I did send a message to support to get it removed. I'm hoping they respond quickly, I have emailed them in the past and never got a response.


message 13: by MrsJoseph *grouchy* (last edited Jun 04, 2013 07:35AM) (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 535 comments Andria wrote: "I didn't know I should have left a note. I'm still learning how things work around here. I did send a message to support to get it removed. I'm hoping they respond quickly, I have emailed them in the past and never got a response. "

It can typically take 24-48 hours to get response from Support.

Typically, no librarian will assist with deleting a cover (unless it is a wrong cover) because it can result in removal of librarian status.

For future reference, here's the link to the Librarian Manual. The policy for covers is located here.

https://www.goodreads.com/librarian_m...


message 14: by Andria (new)

Andria (author_alarge) | 10 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "Andria wrote: "I didn't know I should have left a note. I'm still learning how things work around here. I did send a message to support to get it removed. I'm hoping they respond quickly, I have em..."

Okay, thanks!


message 15: by Jozef (new)

Jozef Nakielski (jozef_nakielski) | 100 comments To become a librarian you have to be able to add something to the site. Simply editing your own books isn't a reason really is it. They're obviously cautious that authors will want to change their own covers.
It also depends on how many Librarians a country has.


back to top