Happily Ever After Cafe discussion

Authors' Promo/Blogs/Booksites > When did "vanilla" become a bad word?

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna Leo (rosanna_leo) Hi all! Today I'm blogging at Love, Lust and Laptops about how vanilla became a bad word. Would love to know your thoughts! http://lovelustandlaptops.wordpress.c...

message 2: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Sharpe (abigailsharpe) | 2010 comments When folks ask me if my book is like 50 Shades of Grey, I say that it's more like 25 Shades of Vanilla. ;)

message 3: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments lol @ Abigail!

message 4: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Thanks for the info, Rosanna!

message 5: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna Leo (rosanna_leo) Too funny, Abigail and Pamela. Yeah, I'm not really into the 50 thing. Give me "vanilla" anyday.There are many shades of vanilla too. :)

message 6: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (chibilee02) There's nothing wrong with vanilla. I look at vanilla as an oldie but goodie. It's classic, and like Carrie and the girls from SATC said, along with a Calvin Klein suit and Russell Crowe. Lol

message 7: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments There is a reason vanilla is the most popular flavor of ice cream. Because its good!

Yeah, I'm getting a little sick of the expression, "She's so vanilla." as a put down. I don't like it.

I was watching some talk show and they said they thought Taylor Swift surely has only had vanilla sex, I turned it off and haven't watched it since.

Rude. Just rude.

And who are them to peek into someone else's bedroom? It is like guessing what is in someone's heart. You just never know. And what different does it make to them? Perverts.

message 8: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna Leo (rosanna_leo) Leslie wrote: "There's nothing wrong with vanilla. I look at vanilla as an oldie but goodie. It's classic, and like Carrie and the girls from SATC said, along with a Calvin Klein suit and Russell Crowe. Lol"

Leslie...you just said a couple of my fave words...Russell Crowe!! Yum.

message 9: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna Leo (rosanna_leo) Lisa Kay wrote: "There is a reason vanilla is the most popular flavor of ice cream. Because its good!

Yeah, I'm getting a little sick of the expression, "She's so vanilla." as a put down. I don't like it.

I ..."

As I stated in my blog, Lisa Kay, it's about the connection. And if a person finds that connection with a lover through "vanilla" sex, so be it. We don't all have to be hanging from a sex swing in order to have fun. And just because a person is vanilla, doesn't mean they don't enjoy having fun or getting kinky.

I too hate how it's used as a bad word- as if the person using it is more adventurous or exciting.

Thanks for all your comments, ladies!

message 10: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (chibilee02) LOL That's great Rosanna! Lol

And you reflected the same sentiments I had regarding "The Book" which I have read. Ever since it came out, seems like everyone is talking about "vanilla" sex vs. bdsm or kink as if they know what they're talking about. I just roll my eyes and get amused by it all. Sex and erotica in all its forms have been around for quite awhile and its only taken centerstage because of certain literature.

Sex is what you and your partner make it out to be. It ain't no one else's business. As long as it's consenting adults, safe, doesn't hurt anyone else, and legal, then it's none of my concerns unless you bring it up to me.

As long as sex is good between you and yours, doesn't matter how you go about it.

message 11: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna Leo (rosanna_leo) Leslie wrote: "LOL That's great Rosanna! Lol

And you reflected the same sentiments I had regarding "The Book" which I have read. Ever since it came out, seems like everyone is talking about "vanilla" sex vs. bd..."

Thanks for this, Leslie. Great minds think alike, huh?

Wanna split that vanilla sundae? I ordered it with extra vanilla... ;)

message 12: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (chibilee02) Woo-hoo! *goes and grabs a spoon* ^_^ Here's to Vanilla!

message 13: by Rachel Annie (new)

Rachel Annie (snapdragoness) Whatever floats people's boats, but I'd get irritated by the time it would take to set everything up whenever you wanted to get busy.

All those props? Who has the time? ; )

message 14: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna Leo (rosanna_leo) LOL!!! Seriously, Rachel! Kink comes with so many appliances! I'm not opposed to the odd toy, but I think I have trouble erecting a contraption in my front room, and not be able to have my mother over for coffee anymore! :)

message 15: by Rachel Annie (new)

Rachel Annie (snapdragoness) Don't even get me started on clean up...

message 16: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna Leo (rosanna_leo) Rachel ~ SnapDragoness wrote: "Don't even get me started on clean up..."

Yeah, I might have to buy new sheets each time...not sure I wanna do that kind of cleaning.

message 17: by Rachel Annie (new)

Rachel Annie (snapdragoness) Rosanna wrote: "LOL!!! Seriously, Rachel! Kink comes with so many appliances! I'm not opposed to the odd toy, but I think I have trouble erecting a contraption in my front room, and not be able to have my mother o..."

Exactly! If putting together a St. Andrew's Cross is anything like the furniture from IKEA, I'd be hopeless.

message 18: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (chibilee02) LOL that is hilarious! Didn't think about that! Maybe I'll get a threesome, with the third person being the "clean-up crew". Lol

message 19: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna Leo (rosanna_leo) Kinky...and practical. Love it!

message 20: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Sharpe (abigailsharpe) | 2010 comments Oh, dear... Do I want to google St. Andrew's Cross?

message 21: by Rachel Annie (new)

Rachel Annie (snapdragoness) Here's one sans person--

message 22: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna Leo (rosanna_leo) Hahaha- I'd already googled it and saw the same picture!! Bauahahaha!
I must say, I do like the purple accents...

message 23: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Rachel ~ SnapDragoness wrote: "Don't even get me started on clean up..."

LOL!

Steamywindows♥♫ (steamywindows) | 70 comments Rachel ~ SnapDragoness wrote: "Exactly! If putting together a St. Andrew's Cross is anything like the furniture from IKEA, I'd be hopeless. .."

LOL, I am glad I wasn't taking a sip of coffee or I would have been snorting it!

Very interesting topic guys! It is very curious that we humans can be so brutal in maintaining conformity, especially to the trend-of-the-time. It would seem some people have even made it into a sorority club kind of thing. Next: hazing to the (St. Andrews) cross...

Lisa Kay wrote: "There is a reason vanilla is the most popular flavor of ice cream.."

Lisa Kay, I agree that comment about Taylor Swift was rude. Since when is this young woman's sex life a topic for a talk show anyway? Geesh.

Leslie wrote: "As long as sex is good between you and yours, it doesn't matter how you go about it..."

Well said, I agree Leslie.

Now my problem is that I love all shades flavours of ice cream and if I had any in my house right now I'd have to eat some....

message 25: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna Leo (rosanna_leo) Steamywindows♥♫ wrote: "Rachel ~ SnapDragoness wrote: "Exactly! If putting together a St. Andrew's Cross is anything like the furniture from IKEA, I'd be hopeless. .."

LOL, I am glad I wasn't taking a sip of coffee or I ..."

Thanks for your comments, Steamywindows (awesome handle, BTW). I am very happy with all flavours of ice cream as well...even if served upon St. Andrew's Cross.

The Catholic schoolgirl inside me is having a conniption right now...

message 26: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Another thing I don't get is that people may work up to getting more kinky in the bedroom, but right off the bat? Really? For the majority of the nation? I don't think so.

Steamywindows♥♫ (steamywindows) | 70 comments Rosanna wrote: "Thanks for your comments, Steamywindows (awesome handle, BTW). I am very happy with all flavours of ice cream as well...even if served upon St. Andrew's Cross.

The Catholic schoolgirl inside me is having a conniption right now... ..."

Yep, I understand ....but I think there might be a ritual or two that Catholics go through that aren't so very far from the SM elements..of course I am only thinking of fictional accounts like in The Da Vinci Code...*winks*.

I have to credit the inestimable Ms. Tina Turner for the inspiration for my "nom de" , thank you.

message 28: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Sharpe (abigailsharpe) | 2010 comments See, right now the picture of the St. Andrew's Cross is bringing up images from Game of Thrones, not of anything pleasant.

message 29: by Rosanna (last edited Jun 07, 2013 06:51AM) (new)

Rosanna Leo (rosanna_leo) Steamywindows♥♫ wrote: "Rosanna wrote: "Thanks for your comments, Steamywindows (awesome handle, BTW). I am very happy with all flavours of ice cream as well...even if served upon St. Andrew's Cross.

The Catholic schoolg..."

LOL...of course, Tina!

Catholicism...hmm. I'm getting visuals of being back in confessional with Father Cullen...better stop thinking about it.

message 30: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna Leo (rosanna_leo) Abigail wrote: "See, right now the picture of the St. Andrew's Cross is bringing up images from Game of Thrones, not of anything pleasant."

This would work in Game of Thrones!

message 31: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Sharpe (abigailsharpe) | 2010 comments It *did* work in GoT. But not for good.

message 32: by Rachel Annie (last edited Jun 07, 2013 08:29AM) (new)

Rachel Annie (snapdragoness) Lisa Kay wrote: "Another thing I don't get is that people may work up to getting more kinky in the bedroom, but right off the bat? Really? For the majority of the nation? I don't think so."

I agree, I think this is something that the majority of couples would try only after they've been together long enough to have a certain level of trust established. But I'm not saying I'm against it; people have the right to do whatever they darn well please in their bedrooms (within legal boundaries, of course).

But in my mind, it reminds me of that saying about certain cities: It's nice to visit from time to time, but I wouldn't want to live there.

message 33: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna Leo (rosanna_leo) Rachel ~ SnapDragoness wrote: "Lisa Kay wrote: "Another thing I don't get is that people may work up to getting more kinky in the bedroom, but right off the bat? Really? For the majority of the nation? I don't think so."

I a..."

Or clean up the mess, right? ;)

message 34: by Rachel Annie (new)

Rachel Annie (snapdragoness) True dat! ☺

message 35: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (chibilee02) I've always had the belief that if you can't talk about sex with your partner, then either you're too young to have it or maybe you're not with the right person.

To add that "spice" to the bedroom you gotta have open communication and trust. And that may take awhile, unless you specifically hang around those with the same interests as you. But even there's gotta be trust there.