The Filipino Group discussion

Books, Books, Books > What to do if you're in a Reading Slump?

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ranee (new)

Ranee | 1902 comments It's almost unthinkable but it could happen, that feeling where a book does not satiate you or that your mood does not permit you to read. They even gave a term for this, a reading slump they call it. Ever had this moment? How were you able to battle it? Please do share some insights.

message 2: by Questian (new)

Questian (sakurastrife) | 922 comments I had this moments just last saturday. It was like i was looking for a book to start to read and then, bam...WTF am i going to read?! for the whole day i was in a daze. and i wasn't fun. for someone who treat books like an addiction it wasn't really fun. What did i do? I ate popcorn. seriously. I ate a pack of kettle korn sweet n' salty pops. after that, me and my sister watched anime...and before the day ended, i was back in my normal reading mode...the frist book that i grab wa Summer in Eclipse Bay. A paperback copy that i have. and it has been gathering dust for the past year. It got me back. and Viola! im back!

it happens guys. it's like a writing block...all you need to do is looked for a way to get back to it...

message 3: by Kayla (new)

Kayla De Leon (kayladeleon) It happens to me loads of times! Usually I just watch TV and eat. My grandmother used to say that reading slumps were the brain's way of telling us to give reading a rest for a little while. I don't know if that's true, haha.

message 4: by Cams (new)

Cams (thedaydreamreader) | 10 comments What works for me is to put that book down for a while and sleep or get another genre different from the one I was reading.

message 5: by Kaeri (new)

Kaeri | 60 comments Reader's block! :)) This happens to me a lot especially if I just read a heavy series continuously (ex: LOTR/A song of ice and fire, etc)

I stop reading what I'm reading, then read something lighter like a chic lit. If that doesn't work, I do TV series marathons or movie marathon.

message 6: by Louize (new)

Louize (thepagewalker) | 1830 comments For me, it usually is the mood, or when life is posing some big interruptions that I'd be in no mood to read. Sometimes, I get book hangover too. I'd be at a loss what to read next.

My usual remedies don't work as fast as I wanted it to, but they do work.
1. I make a pile of books I don't really intend to read for the month, then take a pick. I realized before that if I choose a book I do intend to read for the month or the next, I'd end up not reading it too. (Weird? You tell me.) So if you notice a book I've been pushing for the next month or so, that's a sign.

2. I choose a different genre. If the whim made me choose a children's book or graphic novel, so be it. I sometimes even pick up from my daughter's YA pile.

3. Change edition. If the printed copy is bogging me down, I try the audio. I walk, or do chores with my earpiece everywhere. Sometimes, multitasking does the trick.

4. Change venue. I look for a different nook to read, if the swing or the love seat isn't working it's magic on me. I sometimes walk to the park and read there, or inside the Catholic church beside it.

5. In worst cases, I stop reading. To h**l with the reading challenge. I don't force myself to read, I take a rest from it, until eventually I end up missing it again. You'd be surprised by the hunger.

message 7: by Questian (new)

Questian (sakurastrife) | 922 comments i remember the hunger for books you are referring to Ms. L. When i married my husband, i had to stay in the province. I have NO book to read during those times. i was like going crazy with the inactivity that my brain wasn't doing anything, wasn't acquiring any new info from reading books. He took me to his niece and i saw a bunch of medical books, and i read those! Really read medical books. Then when i was done with them, i was at lost again, he borrowed tagalog pocket books, but it wasn't enough for me...i cried during those months...yeah weird but true...

message 8: by ☼Marian☼ (new)

☼Marian☼ (mgdc) | 242 comments There are times when I'd rather do anything but read. Like play Candy Crush, Cut the Rope or Bad Piggies. I just let myself enjoy other things, eventually, I end up missing my books.
I also don't read when Im going through rough times. I drown myself thinking, doing everything I can think about to resolve my probs. There was a time I didn't read for months because I can't focus on any story, my mind goes wandering back to what's bothering me. So what I do,
I read short stories. Just enough to relax me for an hour or two, then I go back to battle refreshed and clear-minded.

message 9: by Angus (new)

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments ^I agree with Marian. Short stories, because of their brevity, help build momentum so that you can go back to reading novels. They also give you a sense of completion. If you don't read short stories, read shorter novels or different genres (like what Mommy Louize suggested). Or do something else that is far from reading. It will not make you less of a reader. The interest to read will always come back. :)

message 10: by Kaeri (new)

Kaeri | 60 comments I agree with the hunger thing. If I stop reading for a while, the moment I get back to it, it's like I'm suddenly craving! I sometimes finish a book a day because of that. I guess it gives my head a rest.

message 11: by Monique (last edited Jun 04, 2013 01:06AM) (new)

Monique (attymonique) | 2126 comments I experienced this last year. No matter what I did... I couldn't get myself in the mood to read. :(

What to do: don't stress it. If you're truly a reader, the love for reading won't go away - you just need a breather. Do something else in the meantime. And then before you know it, you'll be back in the reading groove. ;)

message 12: by Rollie (new)

Rollie (zheick) | 2098 comments I just try to get lots of sleep.

message 13: by Aaron Vincent (new)

Aaron Vincent (aaronvincent) | 2053 comments Echoing Cousin's sentiment: don't get stress over it. Take a break. Watch a movie or start on a new tv show. That usually helps to get the imagination going again.

message 14: by Beth (new)

Beth (downtothirdgear) | 46 comments I never force myself to read. If I don't feel like it, I don't, and when I get bored, I do. :) Most of the time, it's the book and the story itself that manages to lure me out of a stupor/reading slump.

message 15: by Tricia (new)

Tricia (triciuhhh) | 1752 comments Just experienced this last month! Didn't force it even if I have books I need to read. I picked up a graphic novel to get into my reading mood hehe

message 16: by Ranee (new)

Ranee | 1902 comments I was staring at my book shelf. The same stare you sometimes use when you stare at your crush or at the poster of the object of your lust...but somehow the connection is not there, the same moment you realize your crush does not reciprocally stare back at you or that the poster has lost its luster. Arrgh

message 17: by Bennard (new)

Bennard | 730 comments I echo Angus' and Marian's sentiments. Usually, when I get into a reading slump, I read short stories or novellas since it's short enough to grab my attention and let me transition into reading longer novels.

message 18: by Cary (new)

Cary (forestercary) | 1370 comments i think i'm having one now... *sigh*

message 19: by Ycel (new)

Ycel | 662 comments A long run works for me.

message 20: by Questian (new)

Questian (sakurastrife) | 922 comments cary dont force yourself. relax. because if you try to force yourself to pick up a book and read, you won't enjoy it...

on that note, i cross stiched...i mean i'd do it if reading lost it's power over me...

message 21: by Raphael (new)

Raphael | 62 comments Yeah, short stories work for me as well. Just recently I was reading a bunch of them, and now I'm back to reading a novel.

message 22: by Tin (last edited Jun 04, 2013 11:26PM) (new)

Tin (rabbitin) | 560 comments I definitely do TV Shows, and movies. Or sometimes, re-reading an old favorite helps too. Revisiting the well-loved and the familiar lacks the pressure of starting a new book, and it kind of makes me appreciate literature again.

Doc Ranee: Ang galing ng analogy mo. Lol! At natutulala din ako sa harap ng bookshelf ko. :)

message 23: by Questian (new)

Questian (sakurastrife) | 922 comments Ms. Ranee: I remember sorting my E-shelf. Since i don't have bookselves, i was like "Anu ba?" tapos import ng book...in the end, i stopped and just watched anime...

^_^

message 24: by AennA (new)

AennA (aennabanana) | 536 comments I'm currently going through a reading slump, I barely finish a book I started and my only hope to survive a book is the month's F2F requirement. I would always love to read, but for some reason whenever I started on the first few pages my mind starts to wander elsewhere then I would play games, check my Facebook, read tweets and other things that occupy my time instead of reading. I've bought quite a number of books recently but I'm still stuck with the last month's F2F book as my recently-finished reading.

What do I do to battle it? Nothing much, except that I remind myself that I cannot enjoy other books if I would not start progressing with my currently-reading.

message 25: by JL (new)

JL Torres (jltorres) | 137 comments If I'm on a reading slump, I usually go out with friends, a spur of the moment roadtrip usually works, o kaya foodtrip galore w/o any thought of the expenses! :) I also try playing sports, or jog, or sleep, or play with my pamangkins :)

message 26: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (codenameblue) | 935 comments *currently my situation*
During school days (which is the main reason why I go on reading slumps in the first place) I study or watch sitcoms (since they're just about 20 minutes long, perfect for breaks).
When I'm on sem break, though, and the reading slump hasn't gone, I usually go microblogging, catch up on TV shows/movies, or try to make something by tinkering around Photoshop or lately, drawing for my fandoms.

Like on everything else, unless I have a responsibility towards something, I wouldn't force myself out of my reading slump. I just read whatever I want when I feel like it, so that it will still be fun and not forced ^___^

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I watch tons & tons & tons of series & movies.. :DD

message 28: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments JL wrote: "If I'm on a reading slump, I usually go out with friends, a spur of the moment roadtrip usually works, o kaya foodtrip galore w/o any thought of the expenses! :) "

So, JL, kelan ka ulit magkaka-reading slump? :D J/K.

--

I am currently in one, but it's mostly because I'm working on a writing project that's eating up my brain cells and now I refuse to accept anything that is not contemporary romance. :D

Like everyone, I ease the pressure off myself about reading. I figure it will come back, eventually. But I do try to find a book that will snap me out of the slump. Usually it takes a very good book to get me out of it. That's why I always have reserved unread books from my favorite authors in my TBR pile. Or, I reread an old favorite.

If it's any comfort, I'm still on chapter 2 for Kav & Clay. Haha. I will try to make progress now! :D

message 29: by Questian (new)

Questian (sakurastrife) | 922 comments hi tina!!!

message 30: by kimyunalesca (new)

kimyunalesca | 92 comments I usually read any manga/graphic novel,chillout,tv-movie marathon,pick up another genre,sleep,go out,do what normal people do & repeat like a drone til well...eventually get out of that funk haha! xD

message 31: by Gwaxa (new)

Gwaxa | 350 comments Reading slump? Read an old favorite - walang kupas. :)
It's what I call "cleansing" so my next read would not be dumped on the DNF pile because I wasn't in the mood.

message 32: by Jess (new)

Jess (book_keeper) | 15 comments I rarely experience this "Reading Slump" thing. But if it hits me, it hits me big time. It'll come to a point that i will skip reading for the whole day, because I'm not in the mood.
Well, when this cases happen what i always do is Listen to music - I know it's not the typical thing that people do to overcome reading slump, cos some people will re-read their favorite books to set the mood again- In my case, i always find myself listening to good music,It sets my mood and refresh my mind.
Or you can just go out for a walk alone, or watch movie. you'll get rid of that reading slump thing in day. Swear!

message 33: by Angus (last edited Feb 08, 2014 07:01AM) (new)

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments I have an urge to revive this thread because I am in a reading slump.

That felt good. To continue, I haven't read anything this week. But I know why I am experiencing this.

1. My current routine is not conducive for reading. If one is doing a lot of mental activities (work, write, read), one is bound to get mentally and physically exhausted.

2. My other not so brainy interests are resurfacing and they are fiercely demanding for time. In my case, these would be movie hoarding and iTunes tagging.

So what do I propose myself to do?

1. Make a more realistic schedule. I think the routine that I designed to accommodate my current goals is too stiff. There's little room for rest, which is very important. No, I am not making up an excuse. How can you even lift a finger if you are too tired?

2. Balance my time. I think I give enough attention to my other interests. Check this out:

Music - I listen while working or while on the bus.
Movies - I watch something only every weekend.
Writing - I write everyday (weh?).
Reading - Before I joined The Workshop, rather, before I picked a big stone and smashed it on my head, my reading time was every night. Now, it is scheduled after I finish my writing. I was strongly advised against reading before writing due to tendencies of echoing the stuff that you have just read. The problem with reading after writing is that you are just too tired to read.

So you see, I am in a dilemma. And really, I have no solid proposal. If you can give me a customized tip, I'd be really grateful. :)

message 34: by Bettina (last edited Feb 08, 2014 11:24AM) (new)

Bettina | 2 comments Usually reading slump happens to me after reading a book that got my emotions invested in it(yung feeling ko ako yung bida) or when I've over indulged in it(say, when the book is just so good I can't put it down that I try to finish it within the day with no shuteye and then I still to go to work the next day).

Reading for me is my "me time" and most of my friends know that when I read,they won't be able to reach me or talk to me unless something important comes up.

So during a reading slump, I try to socialize as much as possible. I hang out with friends and family and when the time comes, I'd just know it and I would go hungry for books again.

message 35: by Ranee (new)

Ranee | 1902 comments Angus, I have a reading playlist, mostly are instrumental or Japanese/Korean or Chinese just so I do not sing along. So I listen while I read.
Since you are OC with your sked, would it help to put in timeframes? Would you be productive in let's say only 2 hours of writing per night? A strict sked makes sure you get ample time for reading but it may be counterproductive to your writing since you would be deliberately programming yourself to stop thinking of what to write when your 2 hours is up.

books are forgiving. they could gather dust for years and still be there for you to read. So better focus on your writing because I think, you will not forgive yourself if you have not finished writing that stone you personally smashed into your head.

message 36: by Ycel (new)

Ycel | 662 comments ANGUS: If your writing requires an output and is time-sensitive, what are you willing to give up (for a while) in order to achieve your writing objective?

message 37: by Meliza (new)

Meliza (mecawish) | 719 comments Okay... Me ganito palang thread. I was in a reading slump last week. But I think I'm already out of it since yesterday. I should have read this before. Well, I'll check and read this later so I'll know what to do next time I'm not in the mood to read (which is kinda depressing).

message 38: by Monique (new)

Monique (attymonique) | 2126 comments BUDDY: Don't force yourself to read if your mind is too tired. I know that The Workshop is more a priority for you now so all your energies should be focused on that. Your TBR shelf isn't going anywhere, but the opportunity to achieve this one thing for yourself might not come again. :)

message 39: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (japjapjappii) | 5 comments Hmm. I guess, when I'm in a reading slump, I always do what makes me feel at ease or content during that time instead of pushing myself to the limits of concentrating on what I'm reading even if the words seem jumbled and strange.

Perhaps I'd read a TV series or sleep all day. A mind's got to rest and you seldom need to workout to flush out whatever you're thinking, at least do it for a few hours.

message 40: by Angus (new)

Angus (angusmiranda) | 4337 comments Bettina: Isn't that what you call a book hangover? I think that's preferable over a slump.

Doc: Regarding the reading playlist, I can't read while listening to music. It's because I really listen to it. I am not a lyrics person kaya mas nakikinig ako kapag instrumental siya. Meron akong ginagamit to block out the noise while reading, yung app na Natural Sounds. My favorite is the rain. Yung mga ganung sounds ang nakakatulong sa akin. Very useful siya kapag reading while traveling.

And I actually have those time frames! I even set alarms for them every day. So minsan magugulat na lang ako, mababasa ko sa alarm na time na pala for a certain task eh hindi ko pa nagagawa yung preceding task.

I'm trying to get used to routines for the time being but I think I really do not work well with schedules. I am too inclined to cram and to procrastinate. Probably because I work well under pressure? Another problem is deadlines do not scare me anymore (because after years of working, I find out that deadlines aren't really deadly), so how can I pressure myself? Kailangan yata ng panibagong advice thread, hahaha!

Ycel: In a way, I think I have already given up my regular reading routine. I am thinking of giving up my Internet time but it's so hard to disconnect yourself from it because I also need to socialize (regardless of the means). And my work requires me to be connected. And I need to get in touch with some people who are helping me with what I am doing. My movie obsession is seasonal. Pabugsu-bugso lang siya, so kapag dumating, pinagbibigyan ko na.

Buddy: I know, but I just feel bad (lalo pa't I signed up for WH). I'll just try to reinforce the thought in my head (and Doc's as well). I also think I am trying to do too much? Or am I just not good at time management?

Jappi: Favorite ko ang sleep all day! TV series ay okay lang. I'd prefer a movie marathon though.

message 41: by twstrfries (last edited Feb 09, 2014 01:04AM) (new)

twstrfries | 231 comments Angus, let the phase run its course. Focus on things that you knew you have to do right now.

I'd been on a very very difficult reading slump last year. Of course, it was emotionally related but I didn't force myself to read. Sabi ko babalik din yan. In time. So when I got over things that was bothering me, bumalik din siya. :)

message 42: by Aiysic (new)

Aiysic | 5 comments I experience reading slumps every once in a while. Usually after I read a book that frustrates me. Books that make me go "WTF did I just read?" Haha

I do a lot of things to combat this. I watch TV/movies long enough to make me miss my books. If a book's plot/characters are irritating me to death, I jump to another book. I read about 3 or so books at the same time. But I found that the best way to combat a book slump is writing. If a book frustrates me enough, I write to overcompensate for the time I just wasted reading a sucky book :)