Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives 2013 > Series Discussion for Sookie Stackhouse

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4048 comments Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) by Charlaine Harris Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse, #2) by Charlaine Harris Club Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #3) by Charlaine Harris Dead to the World (Sookie Stackhouse, #4) by Charlaine Harris Dead as a Doornail (Sookie Stackhouse, #5) by Charlaine Harris Definitely Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #6) by Charlaine Harris All Together Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #7) by Charlaine Harris From Dead to Worse (Sookie Stackhouse, #8) by Charlaine Harris Dead and Gone (Sookie Stackhouse, #9) by Charlaine Harris Dead in the Family (Sookie Stackhouse, #10) by Charlaine Harris Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse, #11) by Charlaine Harris Deadlocked (Sookie Stackhouse, #12) by Charlaine Harris Dead Ever After (Sookie Stackhouse, #13) by Charlaine Harris

The Sookie Stackhouse series also known as The Southern Vampire Mysteries is probably the most well known series by Charlaine Harris. It was first published in 2001 and is also the basis for the HBO series True Blood. The series follows Sookie Stackhouse a waitress and a telepath in the fictional town of Bon Temps in northwestern Louisiana. Sookie is living a normal, well as normal as possible life until she meets vampires who have recently come out of the closet. Then here world expands to the inner workings of not only vampires but other supernatural beings, such as werewolves, shapeshifters, fae, etc.

Let us know what you think about this series. Are you a die hard fan of either the show or the books? Which is better True Blood or the books?

Please use the spoiler tag if you want to discuss how the series ends.

message 2: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (last edited Jun 03, 2013 09:04PM) (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4048 comments I just got Dead Ever After from the library and I find myself looking forward to it which is weird because I am have been so blasé about this series for so long.

But I guess to be fair I started this series in 2008 and it was really started me into UF. Now matter how it ends I will always be grateful to this series for that.

message 3: by Alisa (new)

Alisa | 972 comments I agree w/you Dawn. This really was the series that hooked me into UF/PNR. I haven't read the last one yet but I will. I haven't been very impressed w/the last few books. I think it went a little past how long it should have. I watched the first season of the TV show but I couldn't stand it. I don't like when TV shows or movies don't stick with the book. It's a pet peeve of mine.

message 4: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 536 comments The same thing happened to me Alisa. I picked up a box set and read 5 or 6 books in 3 days and then re-read them because I loved them so much. Then I started looking for other authors that were mentioned as giving her reviews on the books' covers and back. She really got me into the whole PNR genre.

message 5: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4432 comments Started reading From Dead to Worse (Sookie Stackhouse, #8) by Charlaine Harris this morning. This is the one with the werewolf war, great granddaddy Fae and we're just about to have a vampire war. Enjoying it so far.

message 6: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4432 comments Just finished Dead and Gone (Sookie Stackhouse, #9) by Charlaine Harris This was the Fae War & Sookie torture one. I don't think as good as #8 and definitely thought the ending was too abrupt, cliffhangery.

message 7: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4048 comments Sandra wrote: "Just finished Dead and Gone (Sookie Stackhouse, #9) by Charlaine Harris This was the Fae War & Sookie torture one. I don't think as good as #8 and definitely thought the ending was too abrupt, cliffhangery."

Sadly it kind of goes downhill from there ...try to lower your expectations.

message 8: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4432 comments Well, at least all future books are gonna be from the library :D

message 9: by Jacy (new)

Jacy (jazabell) | 214 comments I actually just finished Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) by Charlaine Harris . Yeah i know I'm a little late getting to this series. I really liked it.

message 10: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4432 comments I got #10, #11 & #12 from the library yesterday, so I'll be getting to them soon.

Jacy, not too late, there are so many books out there, I'm only getting to these ones now as well.

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Stoolfire I finished #10 recently and I wasn't all that impressed. I really enjoyed the first 7, but I don't think the newer installments just are as good. I'll definitely check into the last few titles, but I my expectations won't be as high going in.

message 12: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4432 comments That's what everybody says Lauren, hence me getting them from the library. *sigh* Just hate it when a series goes down the plughole.

message 13: by Caressa (new)

Caressa Brandenburg | 15 comments I read the series when it started so I felt I had to stay with it until it ended. the last couple weren't great but the series finale was just horrible. it was as of someone else wrote it. I didn't even recognize the voice of the characters. It just felt rushed and disconnected. Really the series should have ended several books back. The last book was just a travesty.

message 14: by Lisarenee (last edited Jun 09, 2013 05:09AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments I thought it was kind of neat she ended the series with book number 13. I guess 13 was as unlucky for Harris as for most. I thought 13 was okay, but not my favorite by far.

My mind is not working this morning after 3 edits I think my statement finally makes sense. Off to get a cup of caffeine.

message 15: by KarenF (new)

KarenF (cleocleveland) | 51 comments I just finished Dead Ever After and thought it started OK but I really, really hated Sookie by the end. I'm not sure if the character has changed that much or if my perceptions have but I do remember her being likable in the beginning. Like others have said, I loved the first 5 or 6 in the series. I feel like I should re-read them just to see if I'm right about how much she's changed.

My Sookie Rant if anyone's interested.

message 16: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4048 comments Getting ready to start Dead Ever After **sigh**

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) | 672 comments I am torn on whether or not to read the last one....part of me feels like I have to because I have read all the others but the other part feels that its not worth it, I have been so disappointed in the last three books....

message 18: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4048 comments Nichole ~Bookaholic~ wrote: "I am torn on whether or not to read the last one....part of me feels like I have to because I have read all the others but the other part feels that its not worth it, I have been so disappointed in..."

I know the feeling but I just want to see how it all ends.

message 19: by Katie (last edited Jun 12, 2013 07:38PM) (new)

Katie (skateanddonate) | 13 comments Hated DEA. Like a reviewer said it was DOA. Unfortunately I felt compelled to finish it so I could mark the series complete.

I mean honestly so many characters acting out of character, pages of listing spam email, no faries, wolves, or vampires unless are they needed to suddenly appear to solve a plot crutch, third person instead of first, and Eric getting shafted.

So glad I never have to read this author ever again.

message 20: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4048 comments Katie wrote: "Hated DEA. Like a reviewer said it was DOA. Unfortunately I felt compelled to finish it so I could mark the series complete.

I mean honestly so many characters acting out of character, pages of li..."

Oy! That bad I am still on page three lol I started watching tv instead LOL

message 21: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4048 comments Well I finished Dead Ever After and while I am not impressed it was not as bad as I thought, but then again I am rather removed from the characters the plot ...mostly I just wanted to see how it ends

At times I did wonder who was writing this book. The plot was really far fetched (view spoiler)

Anyway I finished the series and I am glad I did. Still think it was a shame about leaking the end.