The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2013 > 25.20 -- Sarah the Librarian's task: Reading Goals

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Jun 04, 2013 04:45PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10641 comments Mod
25.20 -- Sarah the Librarian's task: Reading Goals

The start of the Summer SRC marks halfway through the year - a good time to revisit personal goals. For this task, I took inspiration from my own reading goals - both those I've managed to stick to and those I hope to do better with in the remaining half of the year.

Roll two dice. If you roll doubles, do the same option twice. Read a book that corresponds to the option(s) that you roll.

REQUIRED: State which numbers you rolled and supply any additional required information when you post.

1: Nonfiction - non-fiction is a genre I tend to overlook, which is a shame because I usually enjoy it immensely when I take the time to read it. I'm really trying to be better about balancing fiction and non-fiction reading, so for this option, read any non-fiction book. Pick something that interests you and dive in! Note: The genre "Fiction" CANNOT appear on the book's main page.

2: Mount TBR - I know y'all are like me - out of control TBR piles, even if you don't have physical piles. I personally have two bookcases full of books to read, plus stacks next to my bed, lists in my purse and at work, and my Goodreads "to-read" shelf - and there is very little overlap among these piles.

One of my goals every month is to try to make a bigger dent in the piles, so for this option, sort your Goodreads "to-read" shelf by date added and read one of the 25 titles that's been on there the longest. If you have less than 25 titles on your GRs "to-read" shelf (really??) pick from the titles you have. If you do not keep a list of "to-read" books on GRs use whichever list (library list, computer list, mental list, stack of physical books, etc.) and choose one of the oldest 25. REQUIRED: State the date you added the book to your to-read shelf when you post. If using one of the other list methods, approximate the date you added to that list.

3: Recommendations - I'm a reader, and most of the people I know are readers. They are constantly recommending books to me and I am always wanting to read their recommendations - it's just a matter of finding the time to do so.

For this option, read a book that someone has recommended to you recently. Don't know any other readers? Go to your local library and ask a librarian for a recommendation! You can also use the Recommendation feature here on Goodreads. REQUIRED: Tell us who recommended the book to you and whether or not you'd recommend it, too.

4: Piles of books - slightly different than Mount TBR, these are all those books you own but haven't read it - for me, it's two 6-ft. bookshelves full. For this option, read any book you owned prior to June 1, 2013. The book may be in any format (physical book, ebook, audiobook, etc) as long as you owned it prior to June 1, 2013.

5: New and hot - this is probably the goal I am best at actually meeting - keeping up with current releases. Part of my job as a librarian is knowing what is new and talked-about for certain age groups. I am constantly reading the newest titles, and am lucky enough to read ARCs of some titles before the books are even published.

In order for you to keep up with the hot new releases, read any book with a publication date that falls during the summer challenge - that is, June 1 - August 31, 2013. This does not need to be a first publication date. As long as the edition you are reading was published between those dates and shown on GRs as such, it will work.

6: Series-ly - I keep a separate list of series I've started and haven't finished, updating it as I read further into the series and, occasionally, as I finish one. I'd never be able to keep track of all the series I'm currently reading otherwise. For this option, read a book in a series you have started but haven't yet finished. The book must be identified as part of a series on Goodreads and you MAY NOT read the first book in a series.

NOTE: Books with genre "Children's" or "Kids" that are at least 100+ pages and conform to all other SRC rules may be used for this task.

NOTE: Books with genres “Graphic Novel,” “Sequential Art,” “Comics,” and “Manga” that conform to all other SRC rules may be used for this task.

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (booksandbosox) | 109 comments These books work:

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (booksandbosox) | 109 comments These books not so much:

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10641 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7456 comments yay - I was looking for a place for the new psy-changling book that just came out...now should I use for #5 or #6...lol!

message 6: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (njreader) | 934 comments Great task!!

For option #6 - it doesn't have to be the last in the series does it?

message 7: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 20 comments I have a question--
I found a book with an "expected" publication
of June 18, 2013.
But, the library already has it and so does
Amazon.
Will this book have the above publication date
on it when I get it?
I'm so curious because "obviously" it isn't June 18th
yet.
The Amazon info says June 18th as well.
:-)

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (booksandbosox) | 109 comments Rebecca wrote: "Great task!!

For option #6 - it doesn't have to be the last in the series does it?"

No, it doesn't have to be the last in the series - just any book in a series you've started reading but haven't finished up yet.

message 9: by Rebecca NJ (last edited Jun 04, 2013 06:35PM) (new)

Rebecca NJ (njreader) | 934 comments Sarah wrote: "Rebecca wrote: "Great task!!

For option #6 - it doesn't have to be the last in the series does it?"

No, it doesn't have to be the last in the series - just any book in a series you've started rea..."

Thank you! I just picked up Free Fall (John Ceepak Mystery #8) by Chris Grabenstein so I know where I'm using it!

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (booksandbosox) | 109 comments Kathy G. wrote: "I have a question--
I found a book with an "expected" publication
of June 18, 2013.
But, the library already has it and so does
Amazon.
Will this book have the above publication date
on it when I g..."

That is an interesting question. Sometimes publication dates get moved up for various reasons. If you can find anywhere that lists the actual release date instead of the expected one and it still fits the task parameters, I would say you could use it.

Do the mods have any input on this?

message 11: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 20 comments This is what Amazon says-

Product Details
File Size: 418 KB
Print Length: 368 pages
Publisher: HarperCollins (June 18, 2013)
Sold by: HarperCollins Publishers
Language: English

http://www.amazon.com/Wig-Window-eboo...

message 12: by Lindsey (last edited Jun 04, 2013 09:16PM) (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) | 395 comments Hi Sarah, for option 3, when you say you can use the GR recommendations feature, do you mean just using this here - http://www.goodreads.com/recommendations (GR generated recommendations) or this here - http://www.goodreads.com/recommendati... (asking friends for recommendations)? Are either acceptable?

message 13: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17211 comments Mod
Kathy G. wrote: "This is what Amazon says-

Product Details
Language: English "

The publisher and the retailers have this book available as a preorder to be released on 6/18. If it works for Sarah, I would accept that.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (booksandbosox) | 109 comments Lindsey wrote: "Hi Sarah, for option 3, when you say you can use the GR recommendations feature, do you mean just using this here - http://www.goodreads.com/recommendations (GR generated recommendations) or this h..."

I'll take either, though depending on your friends, it make take longer to ask for a recommendation.

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (booksandbosox) | 109 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Kathy G. wrote: "This is what Amazon says-

Product Details
Language: Englis..."

I'm going to go ahead and say yes on this one. Enjoy!

message 16: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) I got a 2 & 4. So can I choose 2 books from my 3 bookcases as I've had them for a while and they need reading?

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (booksandbosox) | 109 comments Fiona (Titch) wrote: "I got a 2 & 4. So can I choose 2 books from my 3 bookcases as I've had them for a while and they need reading?"

That's correct - just remember for option 2, you need to approximate the date you added it to your TBR (or list the actual date if your TBR and physical shelves overlap).

message 18: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) I'm ashamed to say, I've not added any to my GR shelves and I've had most of these for the past 8 - 10 yrs lol

message 19: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 1482 comments I have two TBR lists - a general one and one just of books I own. I'm assuming I can use my TBR - owned list for option 2.

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (booksandbosox) | 109 comments Sue T wrote: "I have two TBR lists - a general one and one just of books I own. I'm assuming I can use my TBR - owned list for option 2."

You are correct!

message 21: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 1482 comments Thanks!

message 22: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1056 comments Option 1: On the main page for the book Best Friends, Occasional Enemies: The Lighter Side of Life as a Mother and Daughter the last shelf listed under Genres is Womens Fiction > Chick Lit. Will that disqualify the book even though it is definitely nonfiction? I think Chick Lit applies, but women's fiction definitely doesn't.

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (booksandbosox) | 109 comments Amy wrote: "Option 1: On the main page for the book Best Friends, Occasional Enemies: The Lighter Side of Life as a Mother and Daughter the last shelf listed under Genres is Womens Fiction > Chick Lit. Will th..."

The task does read that the genre "Fiction" cannot appear on a book's main page for option 1, so unfortunately, that book won't work. Sorry! You could use it for 20.2 if you haven't filled that task yet, since the genre "Family" appears on the page.

message 24: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1056 comments Sarah wrote: "Amy wrote: "Option 1: On the main page for the book Best Friends, Occasional Enemies: The Lighter Side of Life as a Mother and Daughter the last shelf listed under Genres is Womens Fiction > Chick ..."

Thanks for the quick reply; I can definitely use it elsewhere.