Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

III. Goodreads Readers > Indie Authors: Back to bug you with more questions

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Warneke (new)

Warneke Reading (Warneke_Reading) | 36 comments Because several authors were kind enough to answer my previous questions, I wanted to thank them with more questions. You only have yourselves to blame! ;) Thanks for being so helpful.

Please give me your definitions, descriptions, and expectations of the following positions:






And is there such a thing as post-production tech, like someone who formats a book for e-publishing in different formats? If so, please describe.

Thanks again for your help!

message 2: by R.A. (new)

R.A. White (rawhite) | 361 comments I'm not going to say any of my answers are 'correct', only that they're what first come to mind.
1. A person who thoroughly checks for errors and makes a work ready for publishing.
2. A person who goes over a manuscript 'one more time' to catch errors.
3. A person who reads a manuscript before it goes to an editor to catch major issues.
4. A person who publicizes his or her opinion about a book/product.
5. No idea.
6. There probably is, and if I ever hit it super big I would find that person. Better yet, the person who gets the text and cover ready for paperback.

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Priester (jenniferpriester) | 64 comments For me, an editor is someone who fixes spelling and grammar in a book and makes suggestions where the readability of a book may be an issue.
A proofreader is someone who looks over the book after being with an editor who should catch any mistakes that may still be present in the book.
A beta reader is someone who reads the book from a readers perspective and tells what they like and don't like about a book or if there is confusion or unanswered questions throughout that the author should pay attention to and maybe revise.
A reviewer is someone who reads a book and judges it based on age level, genre and target audience then gives it a review based on how the book performs in their opinion.
I'm not really sure about the copyrighter, My book manager put the copyright page in my book for me.
As far as that last part, you are probably talking about a layout designer, which does exist, and for some is a big part of the book publishing process. I know about layout designers because I used one for my first book and since then have become a professional layout designer myself so that I can do my books and other people's.
As a layout designer I take people's books from a word document and convert them into their print, digital, or both formats using a program called InDesign. I also do the layouts of the persons book covers for print books.

message 4: by R.A. (new)

R.A. White (rawhite) | 361 comments Jennifer wrote: "For me, an editor is someone who fixes spelling and grammar in a book and makes suggestions where the readability of a book may be an issue.
A proofreader is someone who looks over the book after b..."

I imagine that a layout designer would be especially useful for books with pictures on the pages. For a regular novel, I found the formatting process slightly tedious, but not at all difficult.

message 5: by Jade (new)

Jade Varden (jadevarden) | 42 comments Editor: Checks text for errors in grammar, punctuation and spelling. Notes redundancies, plot holes, poor sentence structure and incorrect word choices.

Proofreader: Checks text line-by-line for errors in spelling and punctuation.

Beta-Reader: Reads unpublished manuscripts to deliver opinions as to the general story, plot, characters, dialogue, etc.

Reviewer: Reads published and soon-to-be-published works in order to write a succinct description of the piece.

Copywriter: Writes ads, product descriptions, SEO-driven articles and other content designed to be distributed to a wide audience. Copy writers may create book blurbs and book reviews on a paid basis; however, most authors write their own blurbs and most legitimate reviewers are not compensated for their efforts except by the publications in which their pieces appear (such as the New York Times).

message 6: by Warneke (new)

Warneke Reading (Warneke_Reading) | 36 comments Thank you R.A. for your input!

message 7: by Warneke (new)

Warneke Reading (Warneke_Reading) | 36 comments Thank you Jennifer! I think what I'm trying to understand is everyone's perception of what these positions do. For example, in my business we call ourselves Proofreaders, but really, when doing the job it becomes almost a combination of the first 3 definitions you mentioned.
Interesting about the layout designer. I was thinking more towards the tech side of uploading e-docs in different formats. Apparently some authors don't know how to do this and I was wondering what a person who does this would be called?

message 8: by Warneke (new)

Warneke Reading (Warneke_Reading) | 36 comments Ok! Great definition on copywriter Jade, thanks, that helps!

message 9: by Warneke (new)

Warneke Reading (Warneke_Reading) | 36 comments I'm finding many people just don't know how to define or differentiate these roles. Hmmm...

message 10: by R.A. (new)

R.A. White (rawhite) | 361 comments Hey, when I'm making millions, I won't care what they're called. I'll just hit 'send' and let them figure out who has to do what. :P

message 11: by Melania (new)

Melania  (melaniaflitwick) True that!!

message 12: by Warneke (new)

Warneke Reading (Warneke_Reading) | 36 comments Haha R.A. & Lilyana!

back to top