Wellington Reads discussion

Reading Challenges > June reading challenge -- what should it be?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (celemack) | 104 comments Mod
Do people have any strong ideas about a reading challenge for June? We could pick a book, or an author, or a topic, or do something completely different? :-)

I've noticed on other boards, people doing first letter (acrostic, I think?) challenges, e.g. reading a book from each letter of a topical word, like this one:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4...

Of course, then we'd have to choose a word/topic... :-)

Help! Does anyone have any ideas?

message 2: by Paula 1 (new)

Paula 1 Lamb | 47 comments Dickens! Watched the latest adaptation of "Great Expectations" recently and want to re read it.
Also got me thinking about all the other Dickens novels I would like to read...David Copperfield and Our Mutual Friend being the top two contenders.
I know Mr D is not to everyone's taste....but he is a wonderful storyteller.

message 3: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Thomas | 25 comments Mod
Dickens! That would certainly be a change of pace for me, so I'm keen.

message 4: by Celeste (last edited Jun 06, 2013 03:39PM) (new)

It would definitely be a change of pace for me -- I've never read any Dickens, but I'm up for it :-)

Could we open it up a bit more so we can read not just Dickens, but books spun off by his books as well? I know there's a prequel someone wrote to Great Expectations, about Miss Havisham's backstory? :-) And Dodger, that I read a while ago by Terry Pratchett, that has Dickens as a character? Ooh, and can we read books about Dickens too?

Here are a few Dickens spin-offs/books that have Dickens as a character, or involved somehow, or just influenced by his stories or his life:

Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones Havisham by Ronald Frame Jack Maggs by Peter Carey Drood by Dan Simmons Lost by Gregory Maguire Dodger by Terry Pratchett The Twisted Heart by Rebecca Gowers

Mister Pip, by Lloyd Jones
Havisham, by Ronald Frame
Jack Maggs, by Peter Carey
Drood, by Dan Simmons
Lost, by Gregory Maguire
Dodger, by Terry Pratchett
The Twisted Heart, by Rebecca Gowers

message 5: by Celeste (last edited Jun 06, 2013 03:51PM) (new)

And after reading this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Myst...

I kind of want to read this one -- "The Mystery of Edwin Drood by Charles Dickens as Continued by Thomas Power James" (1873), supposedly finished by medium after Dickens died :-P

message 6: by Paula 1 (new)

Paula 1 Lamb | 47 comments I've decided on "Mister Pip" by Lloyd Jones. Intrigued by the Great Expectations connection and also that Lloyd Jones is a local boy from Lower Hutt.

message 7: by Tracey (new)

Tracey | 8 comments I'm going to try one of the variations - "The twisted heart" by Rebecca Gowers, which was on the list Celeste provided. It looks like fun

message 8: by Celeste (new)

I think I'm going to try Lost by Gregory Maguire :-)

message 9: by Paula 1 (new)

Paula 1 Lamb | 47 comments Have started "Mister Pip" by Lloyd Jones and I'm thoroughly enjoying it...

message 10: by Celeste (new)

Paula 1 wrote: "Have started "Mister Pip" by Lloyd Jones and I'm thoroughly enjoying it..."

This makes me think I should say... I know I said I was going to read Lost, but I actually was playing with the Goodreads app at the weekend and ended up starting to read a free ebook of Great Expectations inside of the app. I thought I was just reading the beginning to get a feel for it, but I've actually kept going... I'm still not sure if I'll finish it -- I kind of dip in and dip out -- but I might... :-)

I think I'm at the stage of reading where I haven't fully committed to the book yet... :-P

message 11: by Paula 1 (new)

Paula 1 Lamb | 47 comments It is a pretty big book!!

message 12: by Andrea (new)

I have decided to read Oliver Twist....I have a long cold weekend ahead of me so it should be a fitting companion.

message 13: by Paula 1 (new)

Paula 1 Lamb | 47 comments Good choice!

message 14: by Andrea (new)

Paula 1 wrote: "Good choice!"

Actually, the language is lovely and I am enjoying such a different pace than the murder mysteries I usually partake in. I am quite surprised at myself (though I have to admit to watching Game of Thrones as well at the moment so its not all cultured!!!)

message 15: by Paula 1 (new)

Paula 1 Lamb | 47 comments I agree the language is lovely and it is good to rediscover words that are no longer used in everyday language.
I also love the character names in Dickens novels...
Uriah Heap, Mr Micawber, Mr Jaggers, Ebenezer Scrooge and David Copperfield. People nowadays just don't have names like that!

message 16: by Tracey (new)

Tracey | 8 comments So, I read "The twisted heart" by Gowers. Sad to say I didn't like it at all. I didn't like the way she wrote, couldn't relate to the characters, and was pleased when I finished it! I hope my July pick is better :-) The Twisted Heart

message 17: by Celeste (new)

Tracey wrote: "So, I read "The twisted heart" by Gowers. Sad to say I didn't like it at all. I didn't like the way she wrote, couldn't relate to the characters, and was pleased when I finished it! I hope my July ..."

Yes, I'm afraid I didn't finish mine at all... *Heads off to hide in the corner* :-P

message 18: by Andrea (new)

I have finished Oliver Twist and I really did enjoy it, though I found I wasn't picking it up as quickly as other books as the language and size of print was a bit labor intensive.What should we do for July.....

message 19: by Paula 1 (new)

Paula 1 Lamb | 47 comments Enjoying Mister Pip and interested to see that the movie will be released soon. Hugh Laurie playing Mister Pip.

Have reserved Twisted Heart, but on the negative responses...may not bother.
Thanks to those of you who picked up a Dickens during June!