Northanger Abbey Northanger Abbey question

What to read next?
Readingmom Readingmom Jun 03, 2013 02:14PM
Hello, fellow readers!

Northanger Abbey is one of my favorite books to read when I'm feeling down - it always makes me feel better, with it's sense of humor and writing style.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a book with a similar tongue-in-cheek style? Or perhaps a good gothic novel? No recommendations of other Austen books - that's cheating. (Plus, I've already read those; I'm interested in reading something new!)

deleted member Jun 03, 2013 03:17PM   0 votes
I liked Keeping the Castle, by Patrice Kindl. It's set in the early nineteenth century, like Jane Austen's books, also like her books it's funny and has similar themes.

Cold Comfort Farm and/or I Capture the Castle.

F 25x33
Readingmom I have heard of these novels, but am not sure what they're about - I will have to look into it! ...more
Oct 30, 2013 06:25AM · flag

For a different type of gothic, Fingersmith By Sarah Waters. For a quiet, gentle read with a gothic theme, The Distant Hours by Kate Morton.

I recommendGeorgette Heyer.She is the next best thing to Jane Austen.Great stories.Very Funny.My family always knows when I am reading one of her books because I am laughing my butt off.Cousin Kate is her Gothic Novel but I wouldn't start with that one.I think you would really likeThe Reluctant Widow.But all her books are great if you love Austen check them out.(btw if you like mysteries she also wrote them)

The Mysteries of Udolpho. A) It will make you understand Northanger Abbey even better, and B) You will get a laugh out of it, because you have read NA.

F 25x33
Readingmom Thanks for the recommendation, Nathalia!
Sep 23, 2013 07:16AM · flag

Orlando is very tongue-in-cheek, amusing, and fun.

Try reading the books mentioned in Northranger Abbey; Anne Radcliffe comes to mind.

My favorite Gothic Romances are by Madeline Brent, but they don't have the same sort of tongue-in-cheek