Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BRs - Authors; I - L > Kacvinsky, Katie; Awaken "Buddy Read" (Start Date: June 6, 2013)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30650 comments Mod
Maddie lives in a world where everything is done on the computer. Whether it’s to go to school or on a date, people don’t venture out of their home. There’s really no need. For the most part, Maddie’s okay with the solitary, digital life—until she meets Justin. Justin likes being with people. He enjoys the physical closeness of face-to-face interactions. People aren’t meant to be alone, he tells her.

Suddenly, Maddie feels something awakening inside her—a feeling that maybe there is a different, better way to live. But with society and her parents telling her otherwise, Maddie is going to have to learn to stand up for herself if she wants to change the path her life is taking.

In this not-so-brave new world, two young people struggle to carve out their own space.

EXPECT SPOILERS!

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30650 comments Mod
Reserved.

message 3: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (sophianise) | 4 comments Has anyone else starting reading it yet? :)

message 4: by Aneeqah (last edited Jun 06, 2013 07:56PM) (new)

Aneeqah | 322 comments Reading Schedule

Start Date: Thursday, June 6th, 2013
End Date: Tentatively, in 2 weeks.

------

For clarification purposes: When a day says to end on a specific chapter, go ahead and read to the end of the chapter. So for day 1, read all of chapter 4, and end before the start of Chapter 5. Of course- this reading schedule is merely a guideline, so feel free to read more/less as you wish.

June 6th (Thursday): Chapters 1-4 (Pages 1-49)
-Discussion Questions by:

June 7th (Friday): Chapters 5-10 (Pages 50-102)
-Discussion Questions by: Aneeqah

June 8th (Saturday): Chapters 11-13 (Pages 103-157)
-Discussion Questions by: Sheila

June 9th (Sunday): Chapters 14-16 (Pages 158-201)

June 10th (Monday): Chapters 17-21 (Pages 202-249)

June 11th (Tuesday): Chapters 22-End (Pages 250-309)

message 5: by Ashlynn (new)

Ashlynn Engelhard Same here :) when do we want to start?

message 6: by Aneeqah (last edited Jun 03, 2013 03:26PM) (new)

Aneeqah | 322 comments Would Thursday be alright with you guys? I have finals until Wednesday, and I still need to swing by the library to pick this one up. Also, how many pages/chapters per day? I don't have a copy yet, so I don't know how long the chapters are.

message 7: by Ashlynn (new)

Ashlynn Engelhard Thursday sounds good but I may start reading today so I don't fall behind because I have drivers ed until Thursday so I'm gone almost all day. And the chapters aren't too long. Chapter 5 ended at page 50

message 8: by Ashlynn (new)

Ashlynn Engelhard So Starting Thursday is the "official" date we will start reading everyone ok with that?

message 9: by Aneeqah (new)

Aneeqah | 322 comments Sounds good to me! I will hopefully be getting my copy today/tomorrow, and then I will set up a reading schedule for all of us. Any idea how much we want to read everyday?

message 10: by Ashlynn (new)

Ashlynn Engelhard Doesn't matter to me. The book isn't too long but the pages are pretty tall so we don't have to rush about it but I don't want to take 6 weeks on it ya know

message 11: by Aneeqah (new)

Aneeqah | 322 comments Hmm, it's 309 pages long, which isn't too bad, even with tall pages. I'm thinking we can get this read in about 2 weeks, if we read a few chapters every week. I have a feeling this will be a quick read in general though. =)

message 12: by Ashlynn (new)

Ashlynn Engelhard Yeah I agree. I'm on chapter 2 now and it's really good so far so I think it will be a pretty quick read

message 13: by Aneeqah (new)

Aneeqah | 322 comments Awesome!! I'm so excited to start this one already. I've been meaning to read it for such a long time!

message 14: by Ashlynn (new)

Ashlynn Engelhard Same here!!!!! So let's plan on getting a reading chart out by tomorrow or Wednesday?

message 15: by Aneeqah (new)

Aneeqah | 322 comments Absolutely! I'll try to get it done in between my studying, but it will most definitely be done and ready by Thursday. =)

message 16: by Ashlynn (new)

Ashlynn Engelhard Ok sounds good thanks a bunch :)

message 17: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilalynn) | 206 comments Hi! I will be joining you for this one. I need to pick up the book. And I can help with questions too.

message 18: by Ashlynn (new)

Ashlynn Engelhard Ok sweet!!! We are starting tomorrow and someone is making the reading list for days :)

message 19: by Aneeqah (new)

Aneeqah | 322 comments Ok, so I created a reading schedule for us! I've used chapter numbers so that anyone who is reading with us- despite their format of their book- can easily keep track of where the group is. I've also included page numbers for those of us with the print copy to be easily able to stop. I did it so it's about 50 pages per day, which shouldn't be too much of a commitment per day.

Anyone who wants to post discussion questions, please let me know what day you'd like!

And welcome to the buddy read, Shelia. =)

Questions? Comments? Concerns?

message 20: by Ashlynn (new)

Ashlynn Engelhard Looks good thanks a bunch!!!!! :) everyone we start reading tomorrow but If u start early it is ok too.

message 21: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (sophianise) | 4 comments I haven't been on here in 2 days but I read 4 chapters, and I'm excited!

message 22: by Ashlynn (new)

Ashlynn Engelhard Ikr!!! It starts so good!!!

Turtlecollector Dennis | 1164 comments I would like to join this buddy read. I just picked up the book today from my library.

message 24: by Ashlynn (new)

Ashlynn Engelhard Sure!!! The readings are above :)

message 25: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilalynn) | 206 comments What day would you like me to write the questions for? The weekend would probably work best for me. But I can be flexible.

message 26: by Aneeqah (new)

Aneeqah | 322 comments Hey all, sorry I wasn't able to get questions up today!! I got caught up in another book. ;)

@Turtlecollector- Welcome!! We have a schedule posted at the top, but it's not strict or anything. =) Feel free to join in whenever!

@Sheila- I've given you questions for Saturday, if that's ok with you.

But what are you thoughts so far? Overall impressions? Do you think you'll enjoy the book?

As for me, this seems like it's going to be more of a meh story for me. I'm not fond of how the romance seems to be leaning, but I'm liking the concept and I think the writing is very elegant and refined.

message 27: by Ashlynn (new)

Ashlynn Engelhard I would definitely agree with you there. Throughout the story you're wishing for them to just make a move because the feelings are obvious but once you get further along the plot gets better in my opinion. But it does start out pretty slow in the beginning I would agree

message 28: by Aneeqah (new)

Aneeqah | 322 comments It is only the first 50 pages, I suppose, but I was kind of hoping that this book would immediately hook me. It definitely could have, but instead, it's just giving background information. Which I won't mind too much if the rest of the book picks up the pace. I'm glad to hear the plot does get better, though!

Do you think the romance develops too quickly though? I'm only on page 50, and she's already crushing on him pretty hard. I'm still trying to decide if that's just because she doesn't get a lot of contact with guys or if it's a bit of insta-love.

message 29: by Ashlynn (new)

Ashlynn Engelhard I thought the same thing with her. I was like GIRL!!! Ya just met him!!! But surprisingly throughout alot of pages I was screaming at them to just say their feelings and you get pretty frustrated. I'm on page 279 and I think the plot has been pretty amazing so far

message 30: by Ashlynn (new)

Ashlynn Engelhard This is going to sounds crazy but I just finished this book and it was AMAZING!!!!!

Turtlecollector Dennis | 1164 comments So far, this book seems OK, but not one I would put on a favorites list. I am glad it sounds like it starts slow and gets better because I really like the concept behind the book.

I am one who has not appreciated the trend towards ebooks, even though I own a Nook, and still prefer to have an actual book in my hand. The idea of a world where almost everything is on computers and the rebellion is wanting to do things yourself is intriguing. I still remember when calculators were forbidden to be used in class and now they start using them at younger and younger ages.

I like the writing style of the book and it reads quickly for me. I also think the romance part comes on fast, but this early in the book it seems more one-sided. From what I remember from being a teenager, some crushes come and go quickly and some will last if it seems to be reciprocated.

There were two parts that I think might be important for the book. First a quote from the book: "It's easy to have an opinion. But change only comes when you put your ideas into action." And second when she is talking about her father having an "obsessive cult following." Her father has put his ideas into action creating the digital school system which has an aspect of a cult by isolating a group of people from everybody else.

I live in Oregon where this book takes place so I am hoping that I will connect better with the book as the story progresses.

message 32: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Young kids are allowed to use calculators in school now? Wow. We could only do so for calculus and geometry. Not even allowed in algebra.

message 33: by Ashlynn (new)

Ashlynn Engelhard Yeah this year in algebra we used calculators as well as last year but they were only allowed to Check work with them

message 34: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments We might have been allowed calculators for intermediate algebra. I'm trying to remember.

message 35: by Aneeqah (new)

Aneeqah | 322 comments @Turtlecollector- I agree with the sentiment that this probably won't end up on a favorites list. It's good, but not great thus far, and I'm still waiting for more plot to kick in. I definitely think that some sort of action is going to be taken- that first quote you listed definitely seems very important and pertinent to me. I'm just interested to see who and how the action is going to be taken at this point.

@LisaKay- We're basically allowed to use calculators in all maths, essentially, although we do have parts of tests where it's non-calculator.

Ok, here are a few discussion questions for section TWO of the book (Chapters 5-10):

1. Why do you think Justin specifically sought out Maddie? Does he know of her past?

2. So, Chapter 10 is finally when we get some real action. What do you think of Maddie's character after reading about this?

3. It's noted that in Chapter 10, the oceans are pretty messed up. What do you think of the world-building thus far? Any predictions as to what caused the world to get this way, and why the government isn't doing anything?

message 36: by Ashlynn (new)

Ashlynn Engelhard I would live to discuss but since I'm done I don't want to reveal anything but I will for the next questions :)

Turtlecollector Dennis | 1164 comments Good, the book is starting to get better.

1. Why do you think Justin specifically sought out Maddie? Does he know of her past?

I think he specifically sought out Maddie because he knows about how she helped the rebellion. However, I do think he thought she was a boy because she uses so many different names online and not her real one. I don't think he realized just how close she was to the director of Digital School until he met her in person.

2. So, Chapter 10 is finally when we get some real action. What do you think of Maddie's character after reading about this?

She is at an age where she needs to start learning and deciding things for herself. She does not need to follow her parents if she doesn't agree, but this does not mean that she should take the opposite stance just to spite her parents. She should still have reasons for her actions and be willing to live with the consequences and respect her parents views. I think teenagers have a hard time learning to balance this. Her character is just starting to develop and become independent from her parents. I hope to see her grow as the book continues since I can see her struggling to figure out what she thinks is right, but still judging things by the standards she grew up with.

3. It's noted that in Chapter 10, the oceans are pretty messed up. What do you think of the world-building thus far? Any predictions as to what caused the world to get this way, and why the government isn't doing anything?

I think she is doing a good job of building a world I would not necessarily want to live in. I am sometimes wondering who does the work? How does the food get made in order to be delivered if they rarely leave their homes? If everything is done online, where is the father going on his business trips? How can virtual scenery be set up if you have never been there? On the other hand, does it matter if it is accurate if no one ever goes there?

I think the world got this way from our obsessive need to find a better, faster, easier way to do things. Newer and newer technology.

message 38: by Aneeqah (last edited Jun 07, 2013 02:41PM) (new)

Aneeqah | 322 comments Answering my own questions...

I definitely think he knew she had some connection to the rebellion, although now I think he suspects her of really being involved in the rebellion.

She was pretty wimpy during that car scene, to be honest, but I suppose that's only because it was her first time doing something so crazy. I expected her to be a little less afraid, as it's supposed that she does have a rebellious side. I'm thinking this is where the rebellious side starts 'coming back', and she's going to start seriously rebelling soon.

Honestly, I find the world-building a bit lacking at the moment. I'm super intrigued, and we do have some details, but I'm yearning for more. Hopefully that will be remedied soon. I'm also surprised by how scarily realistic this is. I can definitely see the world eventually getting to this stage (perhaps not so extreme, however), and the thought alone is scary.

message 39: by Aneeqah (new)

Aneeqah | 322 comments @Turtlecolelctor- You had some really great answers. I definitely agree with you about how teens have problems balancing what they want and respecting their parents. I'm definitely looking forward to some characterization with Maddie as the book progresses, although I hope instead of completely rebelling against her parents (as I think she might), she'll actually try to change their opinions instead.

message 40: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilalynn) | 206 comments Sorry for being behind. If someone wants to write questions for Saturday that is fine. I will write questions today if no one else does. Sorry again!

message 41: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilalynn) | 206 comments 1. Why do you think Justin specifically sought out Maddie? Does he know of her past?

I think he knows of her past. It just seems too coincidental to me.

It was interesting. I am a little annoyed she doesn't know more about what's going on. I would want to see the big picture. And Maddie did ok. Going in a car underwater seems a little nerve racking.

I am disappointed in the world building. There are just so many parts that are left out. They keep saying that Maddie is normal. But I want to have more to compare it to. Is she really normal, as far as how plugged in she is. Why don't people go out to clubs anymore or see concerts in person? That seems so strange to me.

message 42: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilalynn) | 206 comments Chapters 11-13 (Pages 103-157)

4. It's official- they want Maddie to join them and hack into her father's computer. Do you think she will join them? Do you think she will hack her father's computer?

5. We learn a little more about Maddie's punishment. Lie detector tests, they are hard core. Do you think the punishment is appropriate for the crime? Overkill or not enough?

6. Maddie and Justin-when are they going to kiss? I am just want them to get on with it. Do you think that their friendship/budding romance can last if Maddie doesn't join the resistance to DS? How do you feel about their relationship right now?

7. What do you tink about the world Maddie lives in? Can you imagine the world becoming so computer driven? Can you imagine people living in their homes and never leaving and just interacting with people through screens?

Turtlecollector Dennis | 1164 comments Chapters 11-13 (Pages 103-157)

4. It's official- they want Maddie to join them and hack into her father's computer. Do you think she will join them? Do you think she will hack her father's computer?

I don't think she will hack into her father's computer again, but I do think she will join them. She needs to find a way to reconcile herself to following her needs but not completely destroy her family in the process.

5. We learn a little more about Maddie's punishment. Lie detector tests, they are hard core. Do you think the punishment is appropriate for the crime? Overkill or not enough?

It's hard to tell what sort of punishment is expected in that world. What kind of punishment is jail when hardly anyone leaves their house anyway? Punishment by not allowing access to technology seems contradictory since the goal is to do everything online. From my perspective, the punishment was overkill but it fits with the father's personality. I agree that trust had to be earned again but there might have been a better way to go about it.

6. Maddie and Justin-when are they going to kiss? I am just want them to get on with it. Do you think that their friendship/budding romance can last if Maddie doesn't join the resistance to DS? How do you feel about their relationship right now?

So far it seems like typical teenage crush on Maddie's part. It doesn't seem that it can last if Maddie doesn't join the resistance. She won't have as much contact with him to keep her intrigued. I can't decide whether Justin has real feelings for her or is using her feelings to get her help.

7. What do you think about the world Maddie lives in? Can you imagine the world becoming so computer driven? Can you imagine people living in their homes and never leaving and just interacting with people through screens?

I can imagine the world becoming more computer driven because it seems to be starting now with all our new smartphones and devices like Ipads. I can't imagine it becoming completely that way, though, with people only interacting through screens.

message 44: by Turtlecollector Dennis (last edited Jun 09, 2013 01:11PM) (new)

Turtlecollector Dennis | 1164 comments I have a few more things to finish today, but I should be able to post some questions for today's section later this afternoon if no one else has some. (it is 1pm where I am now)

message 45: by Turtlecollector Dennis (last edited Jun 09, 2013 02:46PM) (new)

Turtlecollector Dennis | 1164 comments Chapters 14-16 (pgs 158-201)

8. These are not the circumstances I was expecting when Maddie joined the resistance. From her glimpse of father, do you think he has doubts about what he is doing to her? Will she really join the resistance?

9. Maddie's journal has some background information about the forming of the digital schools. Do you think the digital schools and brainwashing of young children was an overreaction to the escalating violence?

10. How do you feel about this section: "We kill them," he said...."It's not that hard. You just delete the files. That's all people are anymore. A bunch of hardware." Would you want to live in this world?

11. I think there is a deeper reason that Justin does not let anyone close. Did anyone else get that impression?

message 46: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilalynn) | 206 comments Chapters 14-16 (pgs 158-201)

8. These are not the circumstances I was expecting when Maddie joined the resistance. From her glimpse of father, do you think he has doubts about what he is doing to her? Will she really join the resistance?

I think she will join the resistance, but on her own terms. Especially now that she does not have the same access to her father's files. I don't know about her father. We get such a one sided view of him. I hope he has his doubts about sending her to detention, but I also don't think he has a lot of choice. The police came for Maddie and what was he going to do? Stop them?

9. Maddie's journal has some background information about the forming of the digital schools. Do you think the digital schools and brainwashing of young children was an overreaction to the escalating violence?

I think the digital schools were an overreaction, but I am not surprised. If that many children really died in a day, I think there would be a lot of people who would start using online schooling or home schooling, something to protect their kids. And I don't know about the brainwashing. I feel touchy about that word. Most things we teach children are a form of brainwashing. Children are impressionable and if someone in authority tells them something they believe it.

10. How do you feel about this section: "We kill them," he said...."It's not that hard. You just delete the files. That's all people are anymore. A bunch of hardware." Would you want to live in this world?

I would not want to live that way. I need to be around people. Sometimes I don't see people for a day or two and then I meet up with friends and it is amazing how energizing it can be to be around people who care about you. I can't imagine living my life solely through a computer.

11. I think there is a deeper reason that Justin does not let anyone close. Did anyone else get that impression?

I think that he has baggage, just like everyone else. I would assume it has to do with his parents not being around. He idolizes them, but does he have a close, personal, I can count on you relationship. No.

message 47: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilalynn) | 206 comments @Turtlecollector

#5- That is so true about jail. Now I am really curious what happens in the detention center.

#7- I wonder about that. Because on one hand I think it is completely ridiculous that people would not interact with each other out in the real world. Being around people in a physical way is so important. But then I think about the violence in the world and the school shootings. I can see people freaking out if that many children died at school. They might resort to drastic measures like interacting with most of the world through a computer.

message 48: by Ashlynn (new)

Ashlynn Engelhard Well if you think about it our world now is slowly getting there I mean look at us now spending all of our time on cellphones and computers as it is

message 49: by Turtlecollector Dennis (last edited Jun 10, 2013 03:27PM) (new)

Turtlecollector Dennis | 1164 comments @Sheila

#9- I agree, brainwashing may be the wrong term to use. But I don't think they needed to tell kindergartners that monsters were outside so they had to stay in their homes. They needed to learn to be cautious and aware of what is around them, not terrified.

They could get a sense of fear just from watching the news. We had a shooting at a mall recently near where I live. This is a favorite mall of my sister's, but my young niece wanted to leave 15 minutes after we got there because she was afraid someone might try to shoot her. Granted, there was a lot more violence in the world of the book than in ours right now so I am not really sure what I would do in that situation.

message 50: by Captain Cupcake (last edited Jun 10, 2013 05:22PM) (new)

Captain Cupcake | 628 comments For those of you in the Tower Teams Reading Challenge, and who have posted/written a set of DQs, your names have been added under the "blinkie" cupcake's column up to this post.