SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

General Discussion > Serial Reads

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28064 comments I have grabbed a few eFreebies that happen to be "serial" reads or installments or whatever they happen to call themselves. Those books that are broken into several chapters or parts and sold at (almost) full price. You know what I'm talkin' about, yah? This seems to be a trend and I gotta say --- I don't care for it.

Seems like another/new way to make more money on a book. Why not just write the whole book and release it normally? Is there a another benefit to this type of publication? Do you like these serials? What's the draw? Is this something that should've stayed in the 1800s?

message 2: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28064 comments Ok, just to clarify, I'm not talking about Kindle Serials. Those that are like Seanan McGuire's Indexing by Seanan McGuire , which is in 12 parts, because those are one price for all parts, delivered as they are published for no add'l charge.

For more info on that type of serial, see Kindle Serials :
Kindle Serials are stories published in episodes. When you buy a Kindle Serial, you will receive all existing episodes on your Kindle immediately, followed by future episodes as they are published at no additional cost. Enjoy reading as the author creates the story, and discuss episodes with other readers in the Kindle forums.

message 3: by Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (last edited Jun 03, 2013 02:17PM) (new)

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 1854 comments I'm not a fan of this format. Just give me all of it at once, I don't like being teased. If they're free though, like those by Ilona Andrews and Jordan Castillo Price, then you can't really complain. I read Jordan's as they came out but I'm waiting for Ilona to package hers in an omnibus so I can buy and read them on my Kindle instead of on the website.

message 4: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28064 comments I agree. Free = no complaints allowed. But, yeah, I'm not liking it. Each part is a guaranteed cliff hanger as we slowly get fed bits and pieces. Nah. I think I'll pass --- unless free. :)

message 5: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23466 comments I've picked up a few of those for free, at least the first one or two eps.

So not going to buy them though, unless it is extremely awesome. And by the time I get around to them, the rest may just be for free as well. LOL.

message 6: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28064 comments LOL! True.

message 7: by Josie (new)

Josie | 1967 comments Hasn't Rhiannon Frater done one as well?

Death Comes Home (In Darkness We Must Abide, #1) by Rhiannon Frater

message 8: by Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (last edited Jun 06, 2013 10:13AM) (new)

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 1854 comments Josie wrote: "Hasn't Rhiannon Frater done one as well?

Death Comes Home (In Darkness We Must Abide, #1) by Rhiannon Frater"

Yep, I didn't like that one so I didn't buy the other parts as the first was free. I think it's the first time I've not enjoyed something by her.

Her As The World Dies trilogy was originally a serial read on her website.

message 9: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28064 comments I liked that one okay, but not enough to buy the others. I was surprised thought b/c, like Ames, I have really liked everything else I've read by her.