Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander, #2) Dragonfly in Amber discussion

Jaime's Wisdom and his Age

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Jamie, has been raised and educated to be laird, by this time he has worked hard to learn how to run Lally Broch, he has been fostered by his Uncles and taught to fight and lead men, he has been educated at the University in Paris and fought in the French army. He's lived as an outlaw and all this before he meets Claire. Then all that has happened to him in Outlander. Historically children were considered grown up at 14 and expected to act like it, working class children even earlier.

Childhood was a Victorian invention and only for the upper classes. Childhood as we know it really only began in the early part of the 20th century. So I don't find his wisdom and abilities far fetched.

message 2: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee i would say that a 24 year old then is probably the equivalent of a 40 year old now (at least in my mind)

Jeni Well, I think Jamie is what his friends call him. My name is Jennifer, but my friends call me Jeni. I don't feel like it's a little girl's name any more than Jamie would be a little boy's name.

For formal occasions, he always gives his full, legal name.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Truly only Claire and his family call him that. In this time period men were addressed by other men of their class by their sir names. But his tennants call him M'lord, others call him Lord Broch Tuarach,in later books his men call him Macdubh.(This means son of the black one, but this comes in the next book so I won't go into that here.) The subject of names is explained in full in A Breath of Snow and Ashes. Jamie and Jem or Jemmy are the traditional nick names of James, instead of the more Americanized Jim or Jimmy.

Stephanie Jerelyn wrote: "Truly only Claire and his family call him that. In this time period men were addressed by other men of their class by their sir names. But his tennants call him M'lord, others call him Lord Broch..."

I think Jem and Jemmy are nicknames for Jeremiah.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Stephanie wrote: "Jerelyn wrote: "Truly only Claire and his family call him that. In this time period men were addressed by other men of their class by their sir names. But his tennants call him M'lord, others cal..."

I stand corrected. :)