Modern Good Reads discussion

AUTHOR ZONE Roundtables by Genre > Action & Adventure Authors' Roundtable

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christopher, Founder (new)

Christopher Shields (wealdfaejournals) | 171 comments Mod
Action and Adventure authors, talk about the process and business of writing and promoting your genre here. Anything about story and character development, plot, inspiration, promotion, market reach, or anything about the business or writing this exciting niche.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Action/ Adventure is probably the easiest genre to write. Everything came naturally to me in my book Capital D. The research involved was the only time consuming part, but when you are dealing with global agencies and a worldwide problem, you must make sure of your facts. Writing the book was easy, but the marketing of the book is the hardest. I can't give any advice as there is so much I still have to learn as a first time author. All I can say is thank heavens for reviews.

message 3: by Steven (new)

Steven Malone Natasha wrote: "Action/ Adventure is probably the easiest genre to write. Everything came naturally to me in my book Capital D. The research involved was the only time consuming part, but when you are dealing with..."

Ahh, yes, marketing. Rather a roughly hewn stick poked stoutly in my eye.

Research also took me time but after letting my characters come alive it was, for me, the most pleasurable part of the job. 'Nothing better than being lost in history and biography.

Being a participant in discussions instead of a spammer in places such as Goodreads has gotten me the most traffic to my website/blog. My site serves mostly as a 'business card' for my work. My blog gets me my best chance to let my readers get to know me personally and allows me the chance to demonstrate my abilities and to experiment with the language, style, and genre. So far, that's all I know about marketing.

message 4: by Peter (new)

Peter Prasad (goodreadscompeter_prasad) | 33 comments My favorite book of the year, so far. Jess Money's Public Enemies. His main character, Tom Paine, leads the second American revolution. I was impressed. I've attempted the same material with a different approach. I hope you'll look it up and enjoy reading it.

message 5: by Roger (new)

Roger Cave | 34 comments I must admit, I'm rotten at marketing. I get precious little time to do it, and I don't enjoy ramming my books down other peoples throats. So, it all seems to be a bit quick and dirty.

I've tried the Facebook side and for a writer (ahem!) I'm not all that certain what to update on there. It's fun though.

I do love the writing and research. I pick bits from the news and then twist it into a story. I'm researching a super yacht at he moment for a future adventure. Currently I'm writing my latest which involves octopus venom, and a sunken treasure fleet.