Lord of the Flies Lord of the Flies question

What would have happened if there had been girls with the boys?
Sirwn Mahil Sirwn Jun 02, 2013 08:37PM
Boys, especially young boys don't know much about the world, and tend to be violent. As can be seen in the struggle between the hunters, and the normal people. Or Jack versus Ralph. Had there been more girls, there would have more of a sense of maturity and order. As girls would provide a better sense of maturity.

Girls aren't any more mature than boys.

Delia Shepherd the boys became killers & klled pigggy who was clever but no self preservation - some of the girls would have so much self preservation & get their ow ...more
Oct 27, 2013 04:11PM
Andrew Any girls in the 'littleluns' group (however that was spelled) wouldn't make a difference, that group was meant to be on the lowest survival mode (pla ...more
Oct 28, 2013 09:22AM

Gary (last edited Jun 04, 2013 05:46PM ) Jun 04, 2013 05:45PM   1 vote
I think the speed with which civilization broke down would be less plausible if it were a mixed group of kids on the island. I don't think girls are particularly any more civilized than boys, but one of the forces that civilizes humanity is the interplay of gender roles, and the socialization that goes with it. The monoculture created by a single gender made the slide into barbarism more believable--arguably even likely.

As Monty points out, in the context of a novel, the author is going to make certain things happen for the sake of his theme, and to make a point, so Golding could have made the plot identical. However, it is his skill as a writer that gets the reader to suspend disbelief, and a mixed gender population would make that suspension more difficult, or would have required the author to show another level of skill.

The consequences would have been the same. The story needed to be told the way it was told to illustrate the point Golding was making--a warning about fascism.

Sirwn wrote: "Boys, especially young boys don't know much about the world, and tend to be violent. As can be seen in the struggle between the hunters, and the normal people. Or Jack versus Ralph. Had there been ..."

How do you know that boys and girls are this way, Sirwn? Show me the evidence!

Borum (last edited Oct 27, 2013 06:29PM ) Oct 27, 2013 06:23PM   0 votes
One thought: pandemonium ensues.
Although girls with their tendency to pacify situations of conflict and capacity to regard relationships in a more integrated and cooperative way may have contributed to some relief from tensions, I still think it wouldn't have been sufficient. Furthermore, depending on the girl's(or girls') number (against the boys) and maturity in character and physique, she might end up like Piggy or even worse, be the cause for more competitive dispute.

One word: yikes.

deleted member Jun 03, 2013 09:56AM   0 votes
Boys would ignore girls. A girl would end up in the same place as piggy, if she was responsible, or she'd end up with Jack because at that age, she would be competing to prove to the boys she could do things too.

Teja (last edited Oct 23, 2013 09:55AM ) Oct 23, 2013 09:51AM   0 votes
You know there're so many ways girl could have changed the island, but in my opinion, everybody thinks differently how girl could have changed everything. Some people says that girl would have been used by boys others say that she would have stopped boys from bulling and killing Piggy and Simon and others say that Ralph and Jack would fall in love with her and start fighting for her love. There're so many opinions about how girl could change the island and those all opinions are right. You know we're all different there would have been a girl who would be sitting under a tree quietly and try to hide from everybody else and there would popular girl who would always want attention for herself from boys. So yes it would have change something in this story.