The Perks of Being a Wallflower The Perks of Being a Wallflower discussion

What would you say is the theme/ message of this book?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Flora Tang As the title says, what would you say is the central message of the book? In other words, what did it teach you (specifically), and why do you like this book?
(And please just don't say something vague like 'it taught me how to live'- be specific, I'm kind of curious.)

Shannon Hernandez Well, in the book there was a quote saying: We can't choose where we come from, but we can choose where we go from there. I think that the central message.

Jayla I really don't know
This book had a confused purpose to me
But I still rated it 5*

Fabitha It's not easy to tell, it's like to ask: "what does On the Road teach you?": it's up to you. Every book tells something different to everyone.
The Perks of being a Wallflower told me how you can always choose, no matter how bad your past hurt you. Again: it's up to you *individualist 'til the end* to go against your flaws, your fears, your wounds to finally find, maybe not peace, but your place in the world.

Anna I think that the theme of this book, at least to me, is that you have to enjoy every moment of life while you still can. Also, that Charlie had a traumatic childhood but still forgives everyone that hurt him. We can't choose where we come from, but we can still choose where we go from there.

Harry This is for a school project, isn't it!

message 7: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann I think that it is about growing up and finding yourself.

Flora Tang Thanks guys :) And no, it's not for a school project or assignment. I read through The Perks of being a Wallflower several times and had mix feelings each time. As a coming-of-age story, it seemed quite ambiguous in terms of the main "theme" or message, so I just wondered what you guys think.

message 9: by Liz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liz Nix One thing that I found was repeated throughout the book that I think was one of the major 'themes' was the idea of "participating". I think even when Charlie felt like he was participating with friends and with Rocky Horror and stuff, he still wasn't quite participating. I think Sam really points out what it means to 'participate.' She tells him that he needs to do things because he wants to and not let people just tell him what to do.

message 10: by Ron (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ron I can't pinpoint a moral to this story. I just enjoyed the plot of how Sam and Patrick took Charlie under their wings. Espicially the fact it's written in the form of letters to someone we don't know. Like the letter is for US.