Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Why can't I upload book files anymore?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lenore (last edited Jun 02, 2013 01:18PM) (new)

Lenore (xlenorex) | 9 comments Until recently and as a librarian, I was able to upload files to a book's page here on GR (the mobi, epub, and pdf version as approved by the author).

I just noticed I can't anymore and I'm wondering why?

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

message 3: by Lenore (last edited Jun 02, 2013 01:16PM) (new)

Lenore (xlenorex) | 9 comments Thanks, Rivka.

For clarification purposes: Can authors upload all versions of the book now? Because, until recently, they could only upload one version of the file and they still can't upload mobis.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41062 comments Mod
As far as I know, authors have always had the ability to upload any ebook format that we support. If they are having trouble, they should use the Contact Us link on the Help page.

message 5: by Lenore (new)

Lenore (xlenorex) | 9 comments Very well. Thanks again, Rivka.

message 6: by Marko (new)

Marko (msusimetsa) | 28 comments Just got my author's privileges and I must say that I can only upload ePub or PDF files. There's no way to upload, for example, .mobi files.

message 7: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Marko wrote: "Just got my author's privileges and I must say that I can only upload ePub or PDF files. There's no way to upload, for example, .mobi files."

Many books do have mobi versions, for example Les Misérables:
http://www.goodreads.com/ebooks/downl...

so it was possible to upload mobis, if it is no longer possible to upload mobi files it might be a bug and perhaps should be reported as such.

message 8: by Marko (new)

Marko (msusimetsa) | 28 comments Yes, I did upload two .mobis back when I was not yet officially an author (in March or so), but was not able to do so today. I contacted support about it. :)

message 9: by Lenore (new)

Lenore (xlenorex) | 9 comments That's why I asked, upthread.
Previously, as a librarian, I was able to upload the book in any format (epub, pdf, mobi.) The authors couldn't.
Now it's neither the librarians, nor the authors.
Is this considered an improvement?

message 10: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments I've just uploaded a mobi to Les Mis, the last one on this page (with very few downloads):
http://www.goodreads.com/ebooks/downl...

It is a crappy version but it does work, I'll delete it later.

Is the system not allowing you to select a mobi or is it just not arriving on Goodreads correctly?

message 11: by Marko (last edited Jun 18, 2013 09:14AM) (new)

Marko (msusimetsa) | 28 comments When I go to the "upload an ebook" option it simply says:

"Add an ePub or PDF eBook to [name of book]
The file must be less than 50MB.
We currently only accept ePub and PDF files.
If you want to sell your ebook on Goodreads, your file must be in .epub format."

After that, there are some options (publish immediately, excerpt or not etc.). After I've uploaded the .epub, the option to browse a file from my computer is gone and I cannot even attempt to upload anything else.

message 12: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments That does sound like changes in the "author stuff" department. The options I see are "Ebooks must be less than 10MB and one of the following file types: pdf, txt, html, epub." but the pulldown includes mobi(which works for me) and MP3(not tried). Nothing about "publish immediately" or suchlike. Maybe the bosses are changing the selling options after the Amazon tie-up. Now you have contacted support they will presumably tell you what is up.