Daily Diary discussion

Reading Habits > What's your favorite weather outside when reading?

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ed (new)

Ed | 237 comments Mod
I think my favorite weather outside (when that really matters--I like to read anytime) is a cold day with the rain pouring down...maybe a fire going. We don't get much snow in Texas but a nice cold rainy day curled up with a great book is great.

Second favorite...being outdoors on a nice sunny day reading and occasionally cooling off in a pool.

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (loveliesdiva) | 8 comments umm, I love to read any time really, but I love to read outside on the lounge under the warm sun, though living in WA state that rarely happens cuz of all the rain, especially in the winter. But when I can't be outside, pretty much curled up on my bed in the quiet sanctuary of my room lol.

message 3: by Ed (new)

Ed | 237 comments Mod
We have almost the opposite...lots of warm sun but not too many cold rainy days. Curled up in a chair or bed lost in a book sounds great right now..heading there. lol

message 4: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 11 comments Since the temp here this morning is -15 and the windchill is -30something I should probably say this is the best reading weather for me, but it really doesn't matter, I read no matter what. In the summer I do like to sit on my porch in the evening with a nice cold drink and read for a while.

message 5: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (Sardonicprincessofcheerfulness) Favourite weather for reading??!!!! Good grief!! It just doesn't matter....does not signify.

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (loveliesdiva) | 8 comments haha Ed, we do have the opposite. But when I'm reading on my bed and I can hear the rain on the roof its kinda soothing, easier to just sink into the book.

message 7: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 1 comments I just wanted to comment that I love that someone even thought to ask this question. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks about these things.

My favorite book-reading moment - outside, Spring, warm enough to feel cozy without a jacket, under a tree on the D.C. mall. I dozed off in the grass.

message 8: by Ed (new)

Ed | 237 comments Mod
Thanks...I love such topics....favorite place to read, time of day, etc.

message 9: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (missstephanieb) | 1 comments Outside under a shade tree on an old lumpy blanket. Castover. Light breeze.

I prefer it more in the country, but even my little yard in the city works just fine!

message 10: by Marlaina (new)

Marlaina 1. nice and warm, under a umbrella, lemonade in hand with an little umbrella in it.
2. nice and cold, on my favorite chair with my house coat on
3. autumn, breezy on a bench at central park

message 11: by Leshawn (new)

Leshawn | 4 comments I love reading in all weathers but my favorite is when it's warm outside and I can go to the prettiest spot in Baltimore and read on a blanket under my favorite tree with a chorus of ducks as the soundtrack.

message 12: by Terri (new)

Terri (TerriLovesCrows) | 30 comments weather doesnt matter much, but if it is icky, I am less likely to be out and about...

message 13: by Terri (new)

Terri I also read in all types of weather, every day. But I enjoy the rainy day too. It's almost an excuse to let everything else go and just curl up with that good book. But here in Florida, I love the winter months when I can sit on my screened lanai, with only the birds for sound, reading away for an hour or so.

message 14: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (cmevans1) I like to read in really dark weather like when the sky looks like its gonna rain but its not and when its cold. But I'll read in all kinds of weather. And I don't read outside. Its very...distracting..

message 15: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 100 comments I love to read when it is snowing heavily, I know I am not going out, the fire is going and I am chilling.

I get the most reading done when I am sitting on a beach and when I am on an airplane. I also get a lot of reading done when something stupid is on TV.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

oo i ttly agree w/ courtney............ i lurve my town when itz all dark and gloomy!
itz so nice and peaceful and the cemetery is especially amazing in dat weather!!

i like 2 read in a cold environment b cuz then when i finish im amazed @ how i ttly had no clu it wuz cold......... (but i nvr get cold so ^^)

message 17: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (grammyellen) | 4 comments i read anytime and in any weather. but i do like rainy days with a cup of hot chocolate.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

It really doesn't matter to me as I read all the time but probably on a cold rainy day.

message 19: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (grammyellen) | 4 comments i see you are addicted to twilight. i've only read the first book, but i have ordered the rest.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

i love a rain shower...especialy wen im readin outside lyk under sumthin dry..

message 21: by Lori (new)

Lori  (ModeratrixLori) A thunder storm, curled up in my big leather chair with a nice glass of red and symphonic metal on the stereo.

message 22: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) Ed wrote: "I think my favorite weather outside (when that really matters--I like to read anytime) is a cold day with the rain pouring down...maybe a fire going. We don't get much snow in Texas but a nice col..."

Since I tend to read while smoking (you can't just stand there, y'know?) and on lunch breaks, I like it warm and overcast (otherwise I get afterimages for hours from the glare off the pages). But living in Ohio leads to complete unpredictability with the weather, and since I read so much, any kind of weather will actually do, especially when I'm really absorbed in something.

message 23: by Andrea (new)

Andrea I think for inside, rain is great, when you can hear it on the roof or outside the window. But I'm with all of you who like a great spring day to read outdoors on a comfy blanket in the shade.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

i live in FL so id like 2 read on snowy days...but thats almost impossible....and i havent really seen snow(dont say anything. i already get 2 many gasps)

but i like 2 read on rainy days...the constant pitter-patter is soothing =D

message 25: by Lori (new)

Lori  (ModeratrixLori) I'm in Florida too so reading curled up in front of a roaring fire during a snow storm is just a fantasy but it sounds fabulous.

message 26: by Ed (new)

Ed | 237 comments Mod
I was imagining that there was snow outside when we watched Holiday Inn a week or so ago...not much snow in Texas but it's nice to imagine. :)

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

yeah snow seems awesome but is just a fantasy in FL

message 28: by Holli (new)

Holli My fave place to read is usually the bathtub but if I'm outside then its on a warm spring day on the deck or front porch steps. I also like to read while floating in a pool or sitting on the pool steps. We vacationed in Florida last summer and I sat in the pool with my book most of the time!

message 29: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 53 comments Weather doesn't matter much if I read a book at home. But when I want to read the book outside, I need warm weather with light, very light wind.

message 30: by Brigitte (new)

Brigitte In Houston we get Hot,Hotter,Hottest and Rain, Rain and more Rain....
I like to read inside on a hot day - knowing I am not outside sweating :-), I also like to read on rainy days.
A few weeks ago we had a freak snow storm, and NO I did not read. We all ran outside (kids in PJ's) and played in the snow, while I took pictures. It was FUN.

message 31: by Ed (new)

Ed | 237 comments Mod
We do the same here when once every decade or longer it snows in south Texas.

I agree--it's amazing how much reading I get done whenever I go to an airport!

message 32: by Brigitte (new)

Brigitte Did you get any snow this last time (it was abt 1 1/2 weeks before Christmas) here in Houston?

I do like to read in the airport, but I also find myself just people watching.

message 33: by Ed (new)

Ed | 237 comments Mod
We did! Just over an inch. The snow didn't go west much of College Station so Austin didn't get any but we did get snow and the kids (and adults) loved it. :)

message 34: by Brigitte (new)

Brigitte my kids actually scraped the snow off of the cars with sand shovels and put it into sandbuckets to make snowballs! :-)

message 35: by Liz (new)

Liz (HisSheep) Any day I'm "forced" to stay indoors, which means either rain or (especially) snow!

message 36: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 5 comments I love reading at the lake on a nice summer day. Whether I'm inside on the back porch (to escape the bugs!) or outside in the sun it doesn't seem to matter. I can usually finish one book per day up there which rocks!

message 37: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (Chaoscat60) | 37 comments If it's nice and above 60 degrees I'll be outside. Inside I love the rain.

message 38: by Gail (new)

Gail | 9 comments I love to read anywhere especially in the tub, by the pool or the beach, in bed ( yeah, I know you're not supposed to...) But my very favorite is curled up on the couch on a rainy Saturday with no on else at home.

message 39: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (LatashaD) I love the rain,I seen to get caught up in my books doing rainy weather

message 40: by Heidi (new)

Heidi  | 23 comments While its divine to get comfy on the couch when the weather outside is rainy or snowy... I'll ignore a beautiful day to stay inside and finish a good book. To this day, my Mom still tells a story about me... as a kid I read voraciously and she was big on telling us to "go out and play." She said inevitably she'd look up and I would be tucked under the big tree in our backyard... with a book!

message 41: by Holli (new)

Holli That was me too Heidi! I had a favorite spot in my grandma's front yard and in her back yard...... my mom would also yell at me all the time to "put the book down a the dinner table". I saw no problem with reading while eating with everyone!! And I still don't....my boyfriend and I eat dinner with him watching TV and me reading. :)

message 42: by Peanut (new)

Peanut I'm not particular to any one type of weather. I guess I'd prefer colder weather because I don't feel guilty about being inside when it is cold as opposed to being inside when it is warm outside. Get what I mean?

message 43: by Liz (last edited Jan 07, 2009 02:29PM) (new)

Liz (HisSheep) My favorite weather to read? Snow or rain (at the moment it's doing a bit of both, but sadly I'm at work).

message 44: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 19 comments Curled up in bed listening to the rain or summer mornings on my front porch. Both experiences are enhanced by canine companionship.

message 45: by Jana (new)

Jana | 6 comments Definitely rainy or miserable. Then there's no pressure to go outside. Preferably snow, so that I can stay warm under a blanket with my book.

message 46: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 53 comments If it's warm outside, I try to read outside. But when it's raining, snowing or generally weather is bad outside, I stay at home and in bed.