Book freaks discussion

Saving June
This topic is about Saving June
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Monthly Book Read Talk > Saving June

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gorfo (new)

Gorfo This is the discussion thread for the June-July 2013 monthly book read, Saving June Saving June by Hannah Harrington by Hannah Harrington. Feel completely at ease to express any comments, thoughts or emotions you may have while reading!

AnaΣtaΣia | 1585 comments Has anybody else started this one??
I'm on page 30 and so far it's ok but nothing different from other books of its kind. Well, it's too early to say anything else. I hope it gets more fascinating.

message 3: by Gorfo (new)

Gorfo I haven't even gotten the book yet! Complications with my library card 0__0

AnaΣtaΣia | 1585 comments I hope you get it all fixed and start reading it! :)

message 5: by Gorfo (new)

Gorfo Lol me too! This thread is quieter than the western front!

AnaΣtaΣia | 1585 comments Hahahaha! :D
It will get louder (I hope) or we'll have to fill the silence by ourselves.

message 7: by Gorfo (new)

Gorfo This reminds me of that proverb "if a tree falls & no one hears it, does it make a sound?"

AnaΣtaΣia | 1585 comments The nerd part of me wanted to answer this seemingly rhetorical question so here's what i've found :p :

''The magazine Scientific American corroborated the technical aspect of this question, while leaving out the philosophic side, a year later when they asked the question slightly reworded, "If a tree were to fall on an uninhabited island, would there be any sound?" And gave a more technical answer, "Sound is vibration, transmitted to our senses through the mechanism of the ear, and recognized as sound only at our nerve centers. The falling of the tree or any other disturbance will produce vibration of the air. If there be no ears to hear, there will be no sound."

message 9: by Gorfo (new)

Gorfo AnaΣtaΣia wrote: "The nerd part of me wanted to answer this seemingly rhetorical question so here's what i've found :p :

''The magazine Scientific American corroborated the technical aspect of this question, while ..."

Ah that's so cool! So basically because of our definition of sound, the answer to that proverb is that "no the tree does not make a sound." But if we were to say give a different definition to sound, as simply vibrations that impact the earth the tree would make a sound. In this case however, other vibrations like earthquakes, etc would be considered sound as well. Everything is relative. It's so interesting!

AnaΣtaΣia | 1585 comments Yes everything is relative, but we aren't able to hear all of the earth's vibrations since sound is a wave that could be transmitted to our nerves by air or water, so If we aren't close enough to one of these mediums so that the wave reaches us, we can't hear it at all..

message 11: by Gorfo (new)

Gorfo Like all things that humans have created this definition is very anthropocentric

message 12: by AnaΣtaΣia (last edited Jun 13, 2013 10:47AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

AnaΣtaΣia | 1585 comments I agree with you on this one! Most of us, human beings are very egotistical creatures.

AnaΣtaΣia | 1585 comments I finished Saving June and I have to say I was torn between giving it two stars or three, but I gave it three cause I'm in my gracious mood :p
So, I think it was a quick read but nothing I haven't read in other realistic fiction/drama/romance books.
Enjoy reading it!

Elizabeth Towns | 6 comments This book is like a lot of others, but it is good in some ways. I had to view it from the aspect of YA fiction. There were some unbelievables - Okay, yes, the grief is true. We do insane things in grief. But a teenager who’s parents are so oblivious that she and her best friend (who’s parents are not oblivious I guess?) and a boy neither of them really knows cross 2000 miles with the ashes of her dead sister? Several things are way wrong with that scenario. I guess I am too much of a realist because in my head I am waiting for one of them to be realized. Who has enough money? Where are the police? There are federal charges attached with mishandling the deceased. How is this safe? How much gas does that take? Seriously?

You can see how all of that interfered with me reading the book with believability in my heart.

Other than that the characters where well written, and the idea is great, the execution just leaves a lot to be desired. I know suicide is a tricky subject, but there is something left unattended to which leaves me feeling adrift.

message 15: by Gorfo (new)

Gorfo Elizabeth wrote: "This book is like a lot of others, but it is good in some ways. I had to view it from the aspect of YA fiction. There were some unbelievables - Okay, yes, the grief is true. We do insane things in ..."

You raise several important points! I think as a realistic fiction writer you are thus charged with focusing on important details such as those that you've pointed out in order to create a believable story, otherwise you risk losing the trust of the reader! Even if a story is marvelous, glossing over the little things can detract from the overall quality!

AnaΣtaΣia | 1585 comments Elizabeth wrote: "This book is like a lot of others, but it is good in some ways. I had to view it from the aspect of YA fiction. There were some unbelievables - Okay, yes, the grief is true. We do insane things in ..."

I agree with you Elizabeth. There were more than a few points in the book that make the story unfounded. But I have to say that I also found it unoriginal. The whole grief thing about a lost loved person (which I'm not trying to belittle as a fact-not at all), the road trip and the boy meets girl who fall in love in the end, is a story I, at least, have encountered a lot in YA books.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.