The Next Best Book Club discussion

Other Novels To Discuss > I Know This Much Is True

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I recently finished this book, and was amazed at how well it was written, and also how many chords it struck with me. As a sibling, it took me from feeling guilt for not being more supportive of my siblings, to thinking "Well, at least I never did THAT.".

The narrative within a narrative could have been confusing, but was not. It reminded me a bit of Mario Puzo's technique in the first of the Godfathers. Lamb made me absolutely detest Dominico. I was unsure if he was attempting to soften that hate toward the end, but if that was his intent, it didn't work with me.

There were aspects of this novel that made me angry, because they were a little too close to home. There were also some coincidences I felt were too convenient. They, in no way, detracted from my enjoyment of the novel, but I also grew up in a very different type of neighborhood.

So what struck you, moved you, made you think?

message 2: by Kristie (new)

Kristie (spedkristie) I read it so long ago, I may need to re-read!

Elizabeth (Alaska) It has been at least a year, I think, since I read this, so I don't think I could participate in a real in depth, length discussion. Were you angry with Dominico the father or Dominico the son?

message 4: by Kandice (last edited Apr 24, 2009 08:44PM) (new)

Kandice Domenic was the grandson, Domenico was the grandfather. I was so angry with Domenico for almost everything! What an egoist. That guy was so self centered. Everything he did was colored by it. I felt for him as far as falling in love, but other than that...I really, really hated him.

Domenic was another story. The dedication to Thomas he showed...amazing. I know a lot of it was due to the promise he made his mom, but still. I felt like a schmuck sister the first half of the book.

The decisions he made as far as his marriage were concerned were made out of hurt, anger and frustration. I understood that. It was just a hard thing, personally, for me to read. Before the death of his daughter, I think he was an excellent husband, as far as we saw. I'm very glad we got to see a reunion between he and Dessa.

Joy. She is worthy of an entire thread herself...

message 5: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) This is one of my favorite books. I was fascinated by the Birdsey family's interaction with each other, and how they all live their own secret lives. I also found it interesting how twin brothers could be so vastly different from each other, and almost blind to the others "inner" life.

I know what you mean about the coincidental nature of the ending, but I actually liked it. I felt that Dominick came a long way towards accepting who he is, and who OTHER people are, and for him to be part of what he had previously been prejudiced against, really shows how far Dom came to releasing all of his anger and accepting his life. I loved it.

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 636 comments This book was amazing. It was my first and only audiobook I've ever listened to. I ended up in the parking lot at work crying one morning because of the end of the story.

message 7: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments I absolutely loved this books too. I just finished it last week and it was worth all 895 pages! I remember seeing it when it was first published years ago and I almost bought it, but did not. Finally after hearing so many good things about it, I did. It's one of those books that you are sad to see end.

message 8: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 864 comments I'll have to join in when I read it, it's on one of my tasks, I may have to move it up a notch!

message 9: by Mel (new)

Mel (melcdn) | 90 comments Wow, 895 pages? I read my books on an ebook device so I don't get page numbers. This book sure didn't feel that long, it was a real page turner and I loved the story within the story within the story.

message 10: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I'm glad you all loved it! This is one of my all-time favorite favorite books!! :D

message 11: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 714 comments I read this years ago and loved it. I remember feeling so bad for Thomas was he was so broken and sick and then feeling bad for Domenic too because it must have been so hard for him to grow up with a brother who was that ill. I always remember the line Dr. Patel (that was the psychiatrist's name, right?) had about two brothers being lost in the woods and it was too late for one but not the other. I just think how hard it must have been for Domenic to eventually let go of trying to fix Thomas and just focus on himself.

My husband bought me the new Wally Lamb for Christmas but I haven't read much of it. I need to bump it to the top of my list and just go for it.

Has anyone read the two essay collections from the writing class he taught in the women's prison in CT? I'll Fly Away and Couldn't Keep it to Myself. They're both really sad but well done and worth checking out.