Sacramento Public Library discussion

General > What are you reading: June 2013

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sacramento Public Library (saclib) | 370 comments Mod
Are you reading great book this month that you just have to tell someone about? Please share with the group by leaving a comment below and help someone else find their next great read.

message 2: by Laura-marie (new)

Laura-marie (robotmad) I'm reading Making Home by Sharon Astyk. I've actually been reading it slowly for a long time. It's given me so much to think about and is the perfect book for me at this time. It's about being prepared for disaster / peak oil in all sort of ways from emotional to logistical. It's also about farming. It's been described as part memoir as well. It's very personal and smart. I love it!

message 3: by Erica (new)

Erica (ericanaranjo) | 7 comments I am listening to the audiobook version of Will Grayson, Will Grayson, and, as Tiny would say, it's FABULOUS! It is a wonderfully heartfelt look at the lives of two boys, each with the name Will Grayson. One day their lives cross, and it causes great changes to unfold for each of them. I love how the narrators capture each character, and while they are each telling the story from one character's POV, they manage to do a very good job of voicing the other characters similarly, so that the listener isn't jarred by one narrator's interpretation compared to the other's. Good narrators always make the experience so much more enjoyable!

message 4: by Gabriela (new)

Gabriela | 3 comments I have 3 things going on. For my book club I will be reading "The Motorcycle Diaries", for myself "The Non Runner's Marathon For Women", and last because I commute I am listening to the audiobook "The Help". In between to practice my Spanish I am reading some children's books my goal is to read Harry Potter in Spanish eventually :)

message 5: by Julie (new)

Julie | 125 comments I am reading Asunder and Going to start Siege and Storm & Gameboards of the Gods. I didn't like incarnate , so the fact that I liking asunder is making this reading interesting.

message 6: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea Couillard-Smith I'm really enjoying being creeped out by Alex Grecian's new mystery, The Black Country. I really liked his first Victorian mystery about the early days of Scotland Yard, and this sequel is already really enjoyable only a few chapters in.

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 20 comments Mod
For anyone who likes historical mysteries, like the one Chelsea mentions above, I recommend Gods of Gotham. I am reading it now and both the writing and historical details about 1840s New York are excellent.

message 8: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Ross | 3 comments I just finished Dandy Gilver & The Proper Treatment of Bloodstains by Catriona McPherson. She'll be appearing in Davis at the Avid Reader on Friday, 7:30pm to introduce her new book-As She Left It. (A stand-alone novel). Excited to see her!

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen (khempel81) | 1 comments I just finished a fantastic TRUE LIFE love story called Feels Like the First Time. I couldn't put it down... I read it in 24 hours because I just had to know what came next. HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY suggest if you like Memoirs or love stories. Suggested it to my mother who also read it and couldn't put it down.

message 10: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1 comments Sounds good Karen. I added it to my list :)

message 11: by Brendle (new)

Brendle (akajill) | 235 comments Mod
Just finished Original Skin, the second in the DS Aector McAvoy series, by David Mark. It's a dark mystery set in Hull, England a city that has seen much, much better days. It sounds like your typical gritty British police procedural but there are many unusual elements that make this a series to watch. Mark has quickly become one of my new favorite authors.

message 12: by Matt (new)

Matt I'm currently reading two books. I'm finally moving ahead in Stephen King's Dark Tower series. I was stuck on the fourth book forever and kept restarting it. Finally finished it last month and am now reading Wolves of the Calla (Book 5). I'm also reading the new Dan Brown book, Inferno. Only a few chapters in, but seems good so far. For those who don't like the horror side of SK, but like fantasy or a little bit of sci-fi, the Dark Tower series is a good read.

message 13: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 22 comments I am in the middle of Marley & Me, as well as Watchmen.

message 14: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea Couillard-Smith Alyssa wrote: "I am in the middle of Marley & Me, as well as Watchmen."

If you like Watchmen, there is a new series of 4 graphic novels coming out in July called "Before Watchmen." Check the catalog to place holds!

message 15: by Julita (new)

Julita Stein | 1 comments I am currently reading the outsiders.

message 16: by Julie (new)

Julie | 125 comments I just finished where the stars still shine and it was amazing good :)

message 17: by ❤Marie (new)

❤Marie Gentilcore (rachelx) | 39 comments This month I am reading City of Bones and an e-book called Noah's Ark. About halfway through both and they are very interesting so far.