Banned Books discussion

Invisible Man
This topic is about Invisible Man
BANNED BOOKS GROUP READS > Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly H. (Maybedog), Big Kahuna, Ministry of Illicit Reading (new)

Kelly H. (Maybedog) (maybedog) | 623 comments Mod
This topic is for discussing the banned or challenged book Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison. It would be great if you would use spoiler tags to hide any information that might spoil the story for someone else. If you have any questions about how to do a spoiler tag, please contact me and I'm happy to explain it to you. It's really easy.

Chat away!

Regina (regferk) | 18 comments I just find this very surreal reading after the Zimmerman trial.

Sentimental Surrealist (sentimentalsurrealist) | 1 comments Agreed on the Zimmerman thing. I'd finished Invisible Man, but I've been reading Ellison's Flying Home as all of that has played out, and it seems extra-relevant.

Anyway, two things here struck me - the Dostoevsky/Camus influence, and the way Ellison moved his narrator convincingly through so many identities. I wish he'd completed Juneteenth, and that it had really sprawled out - the way Ellison does character development is perfect for longer books.