The Fault in Our Stars The Fault in Our Stars discussion

What books do you associate with this quote...

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann So Hazel says, "Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can’t tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal." Which books do you think are like the former? And which ones do you think are like the latter, like Imerial Affliction?

Jessica I think Harry Potter is one of those books that everyone has to read. Of course there are other classics out there that everyone should read at least once in their life but I'd definitely include Harry Potter there.

Myrna I agree and it's weird that I never had this feeling for a book like Hazel for Imperial Affliction (although if I would have one, I wouldn't tell you because it's so special :D). What do you think about that, do you know books like these?

Lynn Daniel I too love a book I don't recommend to people because I feel it's so incredible and most people won't understand how wonderful it is so I understand HazelGrace's reluctance to share Imperial Affliction. But a book that everyone should read? I've never found that.

Claire B. I think Love Among the Walnuts is kind of a book like the second. I don't know many people who have read it, but a definite favorite! :)

Areeba i think the gone series is like that for i started reading them when they were not so popular and i immediately fell in love that my group of friends didnt want anyone else to read it for it would feel like a betrayal to let anyone else in. btw thanks sn for introducing them to me and fayz

message 7: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Claire wrote: "I think Love Among the Walnuts is kind of a book like the second. I don't know many people who have read it, but a definite favorite! :)"
I've never even heard of that! What's it about??

message 8: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Myrna wrote: "I agree and it's weird that I never had this feeling for a book like Hazel for Imperial Affliction (although if I would have one, I wouldn't tell you because it's so special :D). What do you think ..."

Not really, besides the Fault in Our Stars and another unable-to-be-named series, but maybe I just haven't read enough books yet? Either way, I usually fall more in love with the character so that's who I don't want to tell people about. It isn't necessarily the story itself that I don't want to share with anyone else.

message 9: by Priscillia (last edited Jun 07, 2013 06:55AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Priscillia for me, the first book would be either Atlas Shrugged , The Fountainhead, or Cloud Atlas . the second one is Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. i need to recall more books at the snap of my fingers!

Lynn Daniel Priscillia wrote: "for me, the first book would be either Atlas Shrugged , The Fountainhead, or Cloud Atlas . the second one is Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. i need to recall more books at the snap..."

You are so right about Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead. They changed my life.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Harry Potter because I grew up with them so when I read them now they fill me with this "evangelical zeal."

Allison I honestly do feel the way Hazel describes in the book but at the same time after I read an amazing book and someone else says " Oh yea I love that book!!", I feel as though they don't really understand it as I do and that they just consider it another book..... I'm just weird like that...Even when a book is made into a movie as this one is, I absolutely can't stand it when people are like "oh i want to see that movie" and after they see it they're like "omigod it's my favorite movie ever". JUST NO!! READ THE BOOK FIRST!!! But anyway (after I let all that out heh heh).... I really feel as though Harry Potter is one everyone should read in their lifetime so that they too can delve into a fantasy world that I know and love.

Claire B. Ann wrote: "Claire wrote: "I think Love Among the Walnuts is kind of a book like the second. I don't know many people who have read it, but a definite favorite! :)"
I've never even heard of that! What's it abo..."

Well, it's about this boy who grew up completely sheltered from, like, EVERYTHING except his parents' love. Then, his uncles try to take over the family fortune by poisoning birthday cake, but only end up putting Sandy's parents (and pet chicken) in comas. They're taken to a sanitarium next door to recuperate, and that's when things get really interesting! :)

message 14: by Adia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Adia Kolb About a year ago, TFiOS would've been the latter. Nobody really knew about it and I felt kind of cool because I had read it and nobody I knew had. But now, I think it's a book everyone should read. :)

Dekotah Thompson I think that any books you can really relate to are the ones we usually keep to our selves

Georgia P Jess wrote: "I think Harry Potter is one of those books that everyone has to read. Of course there are other classics out there that everyone should read at least once in their life but I'd definitely include H..."

So true

message 17: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Adia wrote: "About a year ago, TFiOS would've been the latter. Nobody really knew about it and I felt kind of cool because I had read it and nobody I knew had. But now, I think it's a book everyone should read. :)"

I read it kind of at the beginning too, and now everyone's read it and it makes me so sad :'( Especially when you see those people who NEVER read reading that book and you're just like... 'you don't deserve to read that book'... 3

message 18: by Coryl (last edited Jul 04, 2013 06:44PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Coryl Addy Looking For Alaska was the one I thought of for the first one, and then Cornelia Funke's Inkheart trilogy for the second. Both of them are incredibly special to me, but LFA is one I want to led to everyone in the hopes it'll touch them in some way; the Inkheart books are ones I feel speak to me and only me, so I want to keep them that way.

Nikki Sometimes I won't recomend books to people because I'm afraid that they won't love the book as much as I do or that they won't get why its genius, and I want everyone to love the book as much as I do. I have a lot of books like that but I'm not sure wether they're like evangelical zeal or AIA.

Katie For the first type of book, I would say Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky, and also the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare. With the Awaken series it just has these amazing morals that everyone in our generation should read about, and with The Mortal Instruments...I think everyone needs a little Jace in their life :D
For the second type of book...The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer was an amazing book and I loved it, but I never felt the dire need to discuss it with everyone like I do with the books I mentioned before. I don't mind recommending it, but I just like figuring out what was going on in that book in my head rather than out loud. I guess a reason for that could be that a lot of the issues with the characters were psychological rather than physical, which is somewhat unusual for a paranormal book. For most of the first one in the series, Mara, the main character, thinks that everything that is going on around her is just a result of her PTSD, so your kind of in that "keep everything to yourself" boat with her as she tries to deal with it on her own, and therefore you want to keep it to yourself if that makes any sense :P haha

Hannah A book that everybody has to read, for me, would be An Inspector Calls. I think it's an absolute classic and its fantastic. Everybody needs to read that book. The second kind for me is Paper Towns. 100%.

Donna Siebold I find this entire concept strange. I have many books that I absolutely love and I will tell everyone about them, but I don't think everyone will (a) read them or (b) even like them if they do read them. And, I would never keep a book to myself. I might share one with fewer people knowing that its appeal would be less broad, but I'm entranced with finding out how someone else feels about a book. And having said, all that, I also feel I've never read the first type of book - books I've loved, sure - books that changed my life? Nope, can't name a single one. Maybe I am incredibly shallow.

Sonia Jarmula Dekotah wrote: "I think that any books you can really relate to are the ones we usually keep to our selves"

So true! Sometimes it's so hard to share things that we love.

Laura The Fault in Our Stars for me is both. At times I wish so much for everyone to have read it so they can understand how I feel and we can all discuss it. But then other times I just want it for myself and feel extremely sad when I see someone reading it because I just feels like it's mine. This is how I feel with most books actually I want to boast about them to everyone I know but I also don't want anyone else to read them.

Carter Most books I read that I'm not in the demographic for I hide them and make sure no one knows I've read them. Classic books that are really good I share with everyone though

message 26: by Drew (new) - rated it 5 stars

Drew I think Harry Potter is the former and TFiOS is the latter.

Brittany Bardman This quote reminds me of The Siren. I feel like (even though it's kind of popular) I own the book, like it is just mine and it's made for me.

message 28: by Ren (last edited Aug 22, 2013 06:12AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Ren I will go with "The Raging Quiet" by Jordan Sherryl. I kept the book within my "favorites" category, on a bookshelf that I constructed in shop class for years.

I recently and relunctatly allowed a fellow friend and reader to borrow it. I was extremely relunctant to share, and I had successfully kept my love for this novel hidden since 5th grade. I was afraid they would think it was complete rubbish and then I would never allow them to share any comments about books with me any longer.

But, thank goodness she absolutely loved it! She constantly spoke of the book and how much it meant- that I felt it necessary to provide her possession of the novel for her keeping. So, for Xmas 2011 I gave it to her as a gift. :D

As for the latter... Any fool that has not read "The Time Machine" by H.G. Wells is well- a fool. Enough said.

message 29: by Zoe (new)

Zoe Siman-Tov Jessica wrote: "I think Harry Potter is one of those books that everyone has to read. Of course there are other classics out there that everyone should read at least once in their life but I'd definitely include H..."

That is exactly what I thought when I read the quote. When I meet anyone who hasn't read Harry Potter I just think "How Do They Live Like That"?

message 30: by Jo (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jo Elliott I have many of the former, but none of the latter, in fact the more I love a book, the more I want to share it with people. If I love a book, I'll be desperate to recommend it to a friend so that I can talk to someone about it! I love talking to people about the books I love and I hate it when I can't because they haven't read the book.

Zahra I think something like that is the Giver because you don't know what happens to the people, the Giver guy, his parents, Fiona, Asher and other people. You don't really know what happens to Gabe and Jonas except that they... *don't want to spoil*. although I haven't finished the series yet

message 32: by Storm (last edited Feb 26, 2015 11:36AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Storm Arashi The Unwind Dystology. Falls the Shadow.